• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

18" by 9" Car Door Magnets

reQ

Okay, missed the part that its "hard cost"

But its sad seeing people saying that at this price point they are "making money". I personally, would never touch it at this price, unless its for family or very good friend, just to help them out.
Maybe i am wrong? Would like to see other opinions.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Okay, missed the part that its "hard cost"

But its sad seeing people saying that at this price point they are "making money". I personally, would never touch it at this price, unless its for family or very good friend, just to help them out.
Maybe i am wrong? Would like to see other opinions.

You might have also missed my post that it doesn't include design/layout time. On a standard magnet job its typically $100 - $150 for a set.

reQ

No, i got it. And i would never do it for 50 bucks for 3 magnets even if i would have ready to print files.

reQ

Yes, kind of time factor. Simply because you can make more money in same period of time. And time is most expensive thing ever lol

Christian @ 2CT Media

If that work is there, most of my clients that buy magnets are fleets and order in multiple sets or we can gang run.

With a laminator you can mount an entire roll of magnet in about 5mins and cut that entire roll in 20mins, and then round the corners in another 10 - 15mins depending on your rounder throat size. So in about 2 hours from print start to finish you can do roughly 50 mags. If your profit after machine time and overhead is $7 a unit thats $140+/hr in profit after a loss factor of 15%.

graphicwarning

Gee, I sure am glad this conversation is in the premium section so the general public can't see everyone's material costs for magnets!

Oh wait.......... :banghead:

Christian @ 2CT Media

You can't see this section unless you login. Besides what are you afraid of, the only people who should fear their clients knowing their cost are those who rip people off.

reQ

So, you decided to rip yourself off lol

And we are wondering why people come to our shops and want you to sell them a sign/decal/banner etc. for dirt cheap.... oh boy

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
At 18 x 9 you will have a 6" strip of waste magnetic material for each pair.
You could cut them into shapes like these:

51S7HQGEA8L[1].jpg

Looks like they go as high as $69.00 a pair on Amazon........

wayne k
guam usa

Christian @ 2CT Media

But you could be making $280...

Or you could be making nothing and have idle hands and idle machines because your are "too good" for the work.

Honestly the reason why a lot of you come on here and complain that every monkey with $5000 can make signs now is because you turn away decent paying work. Then those monkeys see an opportunity and **** all over your Cheerios. I've learned in the short 6 years I have been doing this on my own, that there is big accounts that can be won just by doing a job that no one feels is profitable enough.

graphix45

I do 3 magnets on occasion, one for each side door & one for the tailgate or back door of a work van. We started offering a 12"x18" set for $60 & of course do 12"x24" sets for $75. If the customer wants a photo or logo that needs any work the price go's up. Anything smaller than 12"x18" is useless anyway unless it going on a refrigerator.

OldPaint

2004 here in pcola, hurricane IVAN HIT. remember it was sept 2004. everybody in the world from miss./al/fl. became a tree service over nite))))) also FEMA/ARMY CORP OF ENGINEERS all showed up to help clean up. i sold 3-4, 25 ft rolls of magnetics........in bout 2 weeks......@ $75- $125.00 A SET(2- 12' X 24") now thats making money.........since then, i dont even keep a 25 foot roll, i buy the tube kit from fellers........for all i do now......and still i get $50-100))))))))

Jillbeans

I admit to being confused by the person who says thy do 3 mags for the "hard cost" of $50 but then upsell them to $100-$150 based on the PITA factor of the client.
What?
(Not the PITA thing which I call the @sshole factor, I do that too)
I just don't understand. Do you sell them to some for $50?

Christian @ 2CT Media

I admit to being confused by the person who says thy do 3 mags for the "hard cost" of $50 but then upsell them to $100-$150 based on the PITA factor of the client.
What?
(Not the PITA thing which I call the @sshole factor, I do that too)
I just don't understand. Do you sell them to some for $50?

No I learned a long time ago, from posts on here, to stop "bundling" my design/layout and the physical product together. So I sell the Magnets (3 - 12x24) for $50, and our designers time for $50-$100.

If they are reprints, they are $50 + $10 setup charge since they are already in the system.

Jillbeans

That seems really confusing to me (and also if I were a customer)
I would charge them one price for the initial job, then probably a reduced price for the second.
That's what I used to do with mags, the first set was $100 the second I'd do for $75.
My design fee is built into my price.
I get what you are saying, however, I think it would apply more in a three tiered layout example, though.
(plain$...fancy$$...b@lls-out$$$)

Christian @ 2CT Media

My Clients dont seem to have a problem with it, if fact they like it better now that I show design as a separate line item. It allows them to compare apples to apples.

And that setup charge is once per print run so if they order 1 set or 10 sets they only pay $10.