• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1st post, 1st Logo

ddleejj1

Hi there. I am new here and I would like some critique on a logo design idea that I am attempting. I am not a designer.

Thanks in advance.

Dawn

BR logo 3.jpg

CropMarks

One thing I always do is.... make it really small on your screen..... move waaaaay back..... and then say to yourself..."If I was driving 55mph could I still tell what it is?". Well, that's my rule of thumb. :)

Well I'm not sure what there is to critique since you didn't design anything here.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTg0WDE5Mg==/$(KGrHqJ,!ogFC9-YtQUFBQ)kCt51bg~~48_2.JPG

I don't know where you got your art, but this design, whoever it belongs to, has already been used by someone else. I can't see any reason to ask for a critique of something you didn't design. You put some lettering over the top of some questionable clip art. That is not a logo.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!ogFC9-YtQUFBQ)kCt51bg~~48_2.JPG
    $(KGrHqJ,!ogFC9-YtQUFBQ)kCt51bg~~48_2.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 112

ddleejj1

No, I did not know this. I got the image from a clipart cd that I purchased online several years ago. So it is pretty safe to say that the entire collection is unusable. Oh well live and learn.

But, specific butterfly aside, what about the concept? I can draw my own butterfly but I wonder if it is even worth it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
No, I did not know this. I got the image from a clipart cd that I purchased online several years ago. So it is pretty safe to say that the entire collection is unusable. Oh well live and learn.

But, specific butterfly aside, what about the concept? I can draw my own butterfly but I wonder if it is even worth it.

Two things ...

1) Pretty much all clipart is royalty free to any licensee and using any of it for creation of a logo to which one presumably wants and expects to own is a no-no. In fact the EULA will quite often prohibit such uses.

2) As a first time viewer of your concept, I have absolutely no idea what the butterfly has to do with the graphics you produce. The same is true for the "Blue Room" name. Without a clear connection, one would question why they are being used at all.

Marlene

As a first time viewer of your concept, I have absolutely no idea what the butterfly has to do with the graphics you produce. The same is true for the "Blue Room" name. Without a clear connection, one would question why they are being used at all.

have to ask the same thing as I don't see any connection between the butterfly and a blue room. what is up with the butterfly? I wouldn't bother finding a way to replace it, get rid of it as it just doesn't make sense. blue room graphics would look a whole lot mor sensible with ble squares or lines that hint at walls. try another font too.

oh and welcome to the site. try some other ideas and keep posting as many a design has come in weak and ended up really nice so don't give up

ddleejj1

Thank you very much for the advise. It is much appreciated. I will keep working on some different ideas.

Dawn

Jillbeans

Now that you learned your lesson about clipart versus an original drawing in a logo
(that being said I saw a common clipart bulldog in a college team's logo today ugh)
You need to learn a few things about typography.
While it might look earthy or organic (my fave word to use when trying to sell a logo to a female client, it almost always makes them go for it) the letter style you chose is very unprofessional looking.
There are a lot of really gorgeous hand lettered script fonts out there to purchase, stuff by Chuck Borges, Art and Signfonts, Letterhead fonts, Sign DNA to name a few that will give your layouts a classier look.
Just typing out a DaFont font does not equal a logo, although some people seem to think it does.
You do need to consider legibility...if a person cannot read what your logo says it doesn't reflect very well on your company.
You might want to get the book "Mastering Layout" by Mike Stevens.
Love.....Jill

Craig Sjoquist

Read The Mike Stevens .. Mastering Layout please

You did a good job on color contrast & took a good shot at a image & branding so obviously your creative.

Ya just need some guide lines on what the natural eyes see. You be amazed.

ddleejj1

Excellent info, thanks. I just ordered Mastering Layout for my e-reader. Now it is time to educate myself some more.

Thanks again,

Dawn

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Mastering Layout is a good layout book, but ummmm, everyone I talked to (who has design experience) has a hard time following it... it is a crappy book for logo design...

First thing I would do is learn the design process (wikipedia has a version of it)

Do some research like google "blue room logo"

There are many logo specific book like Dan Antonelli's logo books
The Logolounge Series
I like "Logo Design Workbook: A Hands-On Guide to Creating Logos"

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Mastering Layout is a good layout book, but ummmm, everyone I talked to (who has design experience) has a hard time following it... it is a crappy book for logo design...

First thing I would do is learn the design process (wikipedia has a version of it)

Do some research like google "blue room logo"

There are many logo specific book like Dan Antonelli's logo books
The Logolounge Series
I like "Logo Design Workbook: A Hands-On Guide to Creating Logos"

I agree about the Mastering Layout book, I purchased it years ago and was lost.

The Dan Antonelli books are good as are any design books with example layouts. The more examples of good design you see the better your designs will be.

Pat Whatley

I agree with you guys. "Mastering Layouts" taught me little more than to not crowd the edges. Recommending it has become a cliche in the sign industry because everyone has heard someone else say you should read it.

qmr55

I agree with you guys. "Mastering Layouts" taught me little more than to not crowd the edges. Recommending it has become a cliche in the sign industry because everyone has heard someone else say you should read it.

As the title of the book reads, it is to teach how to lay things out. It never claims to be a "learn to design" type book. Therefore, it should not be recommended for people who need to learn to design. Learn to design first, then learn to layout because a layout is only as eye appealing as the design in its simplest form.

Marlene

As the title of the book reads, it is to teach how to lay things out. It never claims to be a "learn to design" type book. Therefore, it should not be recommended for people who need to learn to design. Learn to design first, then learn to layout because a layout is only as eye appealing as the design in its simplest form

Recommending it has become a cliche in the sign industry because everyone has heard someone else say you should read it.

agree. Matering Layouts is a must read but for the bones & structure of it all. Dan's books are more geared to what makes a good design. I agree with Pat that we tend to throw out the "read Matering Layouts" almost on atuo-pilot. if that is the only book you read, you still will be putting out bad designs but they will be spaced nicely. I think we need to expand on our advice

visual800

I move to not mention "Mastering Layouts" anymore. I have never read it personally (maybe I should have) and and think that its dated and being thrown out way to damn often. Design is learned by doing and doing again. The fonts will come to you over time.

John Butto

I have always looked at design as being like a relationship. Sometimes you say, "O that is a cute couple" or "What does she see in that guy, she should never be with him". So if your the type of person who has to buy a book on love or relationships, you probably need to buy one for design.

Last edited: