• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1st post, 1st Logo

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I believe that a lot of people who have trouble with Mike Stevens' book have poor reading comprehension.

It's interesting to me, the subject of Design has been dropped from almost all college courses. I believe Pratt Institute and my Institute in Chicago are about the last colleges to stress it's importance and offer these valued classes.
Joe

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Craig Sjoquist

Thank you DrCas, Gino, Joe C. & great going Ddleejj1 for taking the interest in trying to learn the basics in layout & design.

I never meet Mike but was able to read his journals, then got the book, but before that going to sign school the our teacher a advertising award winner, taught the very same principles, I was amazed to now get to read it & retain even more with the Mike Stevens book.

As stated when the book was created computers were just coming out of punch cards & only Government & universities really had anything we had sent man to the moon & Apollo was still rocketing forward if I remember.

I was never able to go to any real art & design school that are now more available starting back in the 80's & 90's were the next generations of designers have come from.

Like Dan Antonelli that shared his excellent design knowledge. as well as others that I'm sure out there that are even just as awesome learning tool.

Mike Stevens Master Layout is the basics to layout be it a no parking to a complicated sign of 100's of words it GUIDES you to a better understanding of what your natural eye will see.

& if you look at most wraps of today most have not even opened the book much less read any part of it. because of that fact many businesses have not re-purchased wraps re-adjusted there advertising with those designers that understand advertising guide lines like what Mike Stevens was trying to teach in his book..

Ddleej1 lets see your new logo, can see your creative bet it will end up real nice even for your 1st's.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Hands Rick big *** bottle of aspirins...

For your headache, brother!

If you old guys (geez and I'm not that much younger than you) keep spewing out generalizations like that, you might as well back up the aspirin truck...

Joe Crumley

Every once in a while you will come across a sign that knocks our socks off. And you don't know why but it's stunning. Unfortunately there isn't a formula for this kind of work. But it can happen for everyone who pours themselves into the panel.

It's even happened to me and it becomes a marker. Every now and again you'll find a golden path that leads you down a trail to success. The best of these signs have soul. For example all of Norman Rockwell's panels have an abundance of it. Seeing one of these, in person, brings a smile to the face and it becomes indelable to the mind. The same goes for some of Noel Webber, David Butler, Gary Anderson, and a host of our wonderful artists. We should learn and celebrate from other artists.

My hats off to everyone in this trade, no matter their level of accomplishment because we're engaged in art of layout. There's no end to one's growth.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

Joe Crumley

Bear

Makes no difference. The tool you use is secondary. For example I'm moving over to a Wacom tablet. But with that I can still view my previous thumbnails.

We have lots of folks who are threatened by using a pencil and brush. I've taught hundred's of kids and adults to use both, however most of them said at the start they had no talent and couldn't draw anything.
It's fun to see them gain drawing skills.

You sell yourself short. In your defense, today, these are skills seldom taught. Like you I seldom make finished work manually but thumbnails sketches are time saving shortcuts. They open up the mind to dozens of possible ideas.

Keep up the good work.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com