• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1st post, 1st Logo

ddleejj1

Thanks again for all of the input. I am all about education. I will happily take any reading suggestions. I have begun reading Mastering Layout and it is kinda hard to follow but for the sake of knowledge, I will keep going. I will also get ahold of the other books suggest and anything else recommended.

I am a successful computer tech (self- employed) and I got there by first having the desire to learn it and then taking in everything I could get my hands on.

Now I want to learn design so send it and I will gobble it up. That doesn't mean I will be any good but I certainly am gonna try!

Marlene

Mastering Layout teaches you the bones.
Dan's books teach you how to dress the bones.

well said as that is just what the two sources are

Mastering Layout isn't dated as it is the structure that design is built on. margins, optical center and all that good stuff that is the core of a good design. his examples look old but insert newer current fonts and it still works. wade thru the book ddlee as it will give you the bones needed to begin the next step

HulkSmash

well said as that is just what the two sources are

Mastering Layout isn't dated as it is the structure that design is built on. margins, optical center and all that good stuff that is the core of a good design. his examples look old but insert newer current fonts and it still works. wade thru the book ddlee as it will give you the bones needed to begin the next step

this is true, but when have you seen a common logo where the optical center plays any part. It's a good book, but not so much with logo design. There's a lot more common books that can play a better role.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Mastering Layout is to sign people what making a cake from 'scratch' is to a pastry chef. You understand all the ingredients, the proper proportions, the timing, all the elements in correct order. You, yourself... create the masterpiece and you can eat your cake at the end to boot.

Using Mike's Layout book for design/logo is like buying a box cake and throwing it in a microwave. You have nothing invested, cause you don;t know anything other than to push a button, like on your printer.

What's the old saying..... ?? Garbage in, Garbage out.

ddleejj1

This is the original logo designed by someone else. He is not a designer, either. There are many things about this design that I dislike but I am interested in hearing some pro opinions.

As a side note, the name Blue Room Graphics was derived from the fact that we started in a spare room that was painted blue.

blueroomlogo.jpg

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
A graphics company and no designers?

Maybe look to outsource the designing to someone here, or look at some threads here that are talking about design books that are out there...

HulkSmash

This is the original logo designed by someone else. He is not a designer, either. There are many things about this design that I dislike but I am interested in hearing some pro opinions.

As a side note, the name Blue Room Graphics was derived from the fact that we started in a spare room that was painted blue.

View attachment 85295

how exactly do you have a graphics company with no designers?

Gino

Premium Subscriber

View attachment 85295

Sometimes, certain things which might mean a lot to you or others in your company may have far more sentimental feelings or value then should be used in your end appearance. Therefore, maybe they should not be considered for the final draft. :wink:

You wouldn't name your dog...... DOG SHELTER, if that's where you first saw him.

xxaxx

A graphics company and no designers?

Maybe look to outsource the designing to someone here, or look at some threads here that are talking about design books that are out there...

Haha I was thinking the same thing.

John Butto

You wouldn't name your dog...... DOG SHELTER, if that's where you first saw him.
Yea, I don't call my wife whore house.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For those asking about the graphics part, I have a theory on that.

Many sign shops and companies lettered everything in sight. When it came to doing pictures, they were considered pictorial artists. Only a select few could do that end of the trade.

However, as computers came along, they gave everyone the capability of making perfectly cut letters, then they added graphics fonts and got fancier and fancier until anyone could produce pictures.... or the industry's new craze..... 'GRAPHICS'. So, anyone in this industry can produce graphics, but they never laid claim to being able to design. Just another one of those areas in this wonderful industry where people can still confuse their target audience and get away with it.

Do you honestly know how many people here can't ever draw stick figures, let alone create pictures ?? Again, if it wasn't for computers, software and the internet, we'd have a starving array of sign shops who can't/couldn't do squat.

ddleejj1

Ok, folks, I understand your logic regarding the business name. Since we are literally just starting out, this can be reassessed. As I do have much to learn and I appreciate this forum and it's very intelligent members, I have a pretty good talent foundation. At this time, we don't have a designer on board but I don't claim to be a design company. I would love to be that person and that is a big reason why I am here. For now, we merely reproduce existing designs for a few local businesses.

qmr55

Ok, folks, I understand your logic regarding the business name. Since we are literally just starting out, this can be reassessed. As I do have much to learn and I appreciate this forum and it's very intelligent members, I have a pretty good talent foundation. At this time, we don't have a designer on board but I don't claim to be a design company. I would love to be that person and that is a big reason why I am here. For now, we merely reproduce existing designs for a few local businesses.

Hey, nothing wrong with that! For anything that needs to be designed while you are taking on the learning process, you should look into outsourcing to some of the very talented designers on this forum. Your positive attitude towards trying to learn the industry is not something that is common by new members of this forum. Keep your head up, keep taking the advice of members, and keep reading books and you will learn the basics in no time. Good luck with the business venture, everyone had to start somewhere, right?!

Marlene

the name you picked isn't all that bad, what it bad is the butterfly with it as it makes no sense. the one with the door and stuff is a better start. take out most of the details in that one, keep some of the lines and move more in that direction. a few lines can say a lot.

the name is kind of quirky so you could go in that direction, a fun font with a few lines that make up the hint of a room might work. give it a try and maybe we can help you tweek it out.

DrCAS

I believe that a lot of people who have trouble with Mike Stevens' book have poor reading comprehension. The book was not written for entertainment value. It was written as an extension of the Mike Stevens Journals. There are principles in the book that can be carried over into logo design but it was, IMO, written as a guide to properly lay out a sign. Too bad some of the people who have purported to have this book make very little use of its contents.

Anyone who ever met Mike (and I had the opportunity to work with him at a shop in San Jose in the early 80's) would realize that he wrote like he talked. His talent and abilities were far beyond what many people here could ever comprehend. Mike was an incredible lettering artist. His mastery of lettering was almost unequaled.

Leslie Carbaga has several books that are good logo design guides. Logo Lounge is a good source. Yes, and Dan Antonelli's books, too. Look at websites of designers that specialize in logo design. The world has many many designers whose work can be an inspiration to anyone.

Joe Crumley

I'd like to take my hat off to Dawn. She's very accepting of all the suggestions and hasn't gone on the defensive. Good on you girl for buying the Stevens book. That shows a willingness to learn.

One precaution; This is a hard study. Like DrCas I've also worked a little with Mike and he was difficult to understand on some levels. The reason so many people get confused with his lettering theory is Mike had is unique language to describe his process. That language is unique to him. We had some down right hard, head to head dis agreements but his talent would soar. We all miss him. So it's easy to get lost in lectures and book. But I complement you and wish the best with the work.

It's interesting to me, the subject of Design has been dropped from almost all college courses. I believe Pratt Institute and my Institute in Chicago are about the last colleges to stress it's importance and offer these valued classes. It's a tough subject where there's no end to learning.

The best tools are a #2 pencil and lots of paper with a good instructor close by.

Joe