• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M 1080 Lifting around Contours

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Well I haven't done a full wrap... yet, so I might be out of place saying this... but wouldn't you design in a bleed of an extra X amount of vinyl with the design on it, so you have plenty of vinyl to go into and around areas?

You are correct in saying you might be out of place saying that.
You cannot under any circumstances wrap unheated vinyl around a complex curve (concave & convex) unless you plan on using a lot of relief cuts. If it's a mild one...maybe...but not most bumpers. If anybody can do this...I double dog dare you to video it and post the youtube link for us to watch in amazement. I will then eat crow and stand corrected.

datoshway

Back to the original question, a month after install, is the consensus just reheating the area and working it in going to solve this issue? 3M actually recommends going over these contours and using their 3m contour wheel with heat. They say the 180 has .5" stretch capability. The groove is not .5" so maybe it just needs to be reheated and put down.

Circleville Signs

If it's been out of the shop for a month, you dont' want to try to re-activate the adhesive (IMO). Re-print, and hope that your colors aren't too far off, and learn your lesson.

Unlike Adam, I use primer (in certain situations). And, depending on the vehicle type, there are other tricks you can use. For example, on Sprinters, there is a notorious recessed area that blows many people's minds. Easiest thing in the world to do with it is cut about 3 pieces of .030 magnetic to size, stack them, and lay them into the recess. Now, wrap over it. Done.