• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

$4500 CNC....even cuts concrete

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
As a stone blaster, I'm still sticking to my guns....or sould I say my nozzle?

I'm skeptical of how it will handle some of the well-known issues of concrete such as flatness (or lack thereof), aggregate, cracks, porosity, etc...

Oxidation of the fresh cut concrete will soon render the shallow image illegible unless it's paint filled.

Only in a perfect world will you get results like they show...c'mon people, it's a marketing video.

BTW...Does HD know they're using their logo? HD is such a stickler for things like that.

JB

there has been a portable cnc router sold in the UK for 20 years plus, this is not new technology. & yes panelling or tiling is possible but anyone who does it or has done it will tell you it is a pain to make absolutely certain that your alignment is correct...working on a permanent substrate it would be an even bigger concern.

CheapVehicleWrap

Hmm.. I think I would like one of these.. However, I'd bet you could make one cheaper than 4,500.. If someone knew how it worked I bet its prob more like $500.00

I was watching the videos.. Hmm.. It seems like you could just use a regular cutter/plotter, but with a different head, maybe more like a drill bit head, and/or carriage.....

^ <On CRACK>

visual800

And what happens when the computer program freaks out and ruins the job?
No simple fix to have it match and look good unless it is brand new 'crete.
Then deal with the store owner and tell him he can't use his front door for a couple days cuz you F'ed up. Good times.
Funny how they never mention that.

godd point! lol

Ive seen the router have a burp and just freak out on some pvc, can you imagine it happeneing on this?

visual800

I dont do concrete so actually i dont care if I could build it out of harbor freight stuff with the frame of a 6' ladder and some air powered chisels

signswi

We don't do concrete but this is awesome, if I was building a new building or house I'd want to use this all over the place.

I do have a client and friend who does dyed concrete floors for really high end clients, makes a ton of bank on it and gets lots of publicity. Adding an etched element would be great.

CheapVehicleWrap

godd point! lol

Ive seen the router have a burp and just freak out on some pvc, can you imagine it happeneing on this?

It's concrete not gold. BUT very valid point! I NEVER trust a machine even if it's running proven code. If there's one thing that comes before cheap; it's safety.

signage

Since it is only 1/16" to 3/6" you could have it resurfaced with either a shot blaster or floor grinder (these are used in refinishing concrete floors).

SebastienL

We used to machine concrete on our Multicam. Took me a year and half to convince my boss that it wasn't worth the effort. We couldn't compete with the sandblast guys on price and all that fine dust wrecks havoc on bearings and slides.

If you don't mind, I will keep this to myself and not mention it to him!

CWP

I have a Zund CNC that is probably one of the best on the market, and even it screws up jobs. I would be scared sh**less every time I fired that thing up... CNC's are like good dogs, they do exactly what they are told to do, sometimes have a mind of their own, and will bite you in the backside if you let them.

rjssigns

Make a reverse stamp out of high density foam. Requires new 'crete, but super simple. Oohh dang, there goes my new business.

signswi

Just noticed these guys are in Wisconsin, going to have to pay them a visit and check it out in person. I can think of a million ways to use this thing though non that are profitable for a business other than architectural/environmental, which isn't something we get into here.

I kind of want to do a pattern over my entire driveway and dye the recesses.

f3rri

Backlash? Vertical mounting? Indexing? Software recommended is mach three and V-carve so if you get the unit you get no training basically. I'll stick to sandblasting would you really want to move that every few letters or chance the feet would slide or Just throw down some good ole Anchor Material and some Black Beauty? It will vacuum up in minutes.

C

ColoPrinthead

Initially I really like the idea of what this thing does. Thinking about winter and water freezing into the concrete makes me think this is a terrible idea that will bring problems for anyone who uses it for anything other than personal use.