• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

48"x30" Magnet on a Van

rfulford

I have a client who wants a 48" x 30" Magnet for a mystery van. I say mystery because when I asked what type of van, she said it was an escalade. I sent her a template of an escalade a mockup of the magnet covering 2 doors and part of the windows. After receiving the template, she replied that it was her mistake, it is not an escalade just a normal van and then gave me some additional changes.

I have never done a magnet this size for a vehicle. I am really worried about it falling off due to wind load. Most vans I see without the windows on the back have grooves in the body structure where the windows normally would be. Since this is not a flat surface, I feel that the magnet will not hold under wind load. Is this a legitimate concern or am I being overly cautious?

Jesse_gvi

Maybe she meant Econoline. Those have a pretty big area without any lines on the driver side cargo area. But yeah, that's a pretty big magnet to come flying at your windshield on the highway -- and magnets do fly off once in a while, flat surface or not.

WrapperX

Maybe its that Mayhem guy from the Allstate commercials.

He's a 48"x30" vinyl magnet. Looks great at first but get a little wind under him and he'll cover your windshield causing you to lose visiblity. If you have cut rate insurance you may not be covered.

:ROFLMAO:

i'd be weary of selling a 48 x 30 inch magnet for the side of a van.....if it flies off and causes an accident you don't want any come backs! just say'n.......
how come its so big anyways? is she advertising something for her business? if so, can't you upsell her on some graphics applied to her van instead??

Jillbeans

For some reason this brings to mind the song "Blowin' in the Wind"
because that's exactly what that thing is gonna do.
Try to make her see common sense and sell her regular applied vehicle lettering.
Love....Jill

Mosh

maybe its that mayhem guy from the allstate commercials.

He's a 48"x30" vinyl magnet. Looks great at first but get a little wind under him and he'll cover your windshield causing you to lose visiblity. If you have cut rate insurance you may not be covered.

:roflmao:

+love those commercials!!! "I'm a magnetic sign..." I can hear him now!!!!

rfulford

Thanks for the replies guys. I am glad I am not the only one that thinks this may not be safe. WrapperX, I like your analogy to the All State Guy. I am going to use it when we speak next.

Billct2

I've had people get them this big despite all the warnings.
I usually ask WHY? Why do you want a magnet that big?
If it's for a good reason, which is they have to take the magnet off when not using the vehicle for business, or because they need to drive on a road that prohibits commercial vehicles, or they live somewhere that doesn't allow commercial vehicles to be parked overnight then I explain that the biggest problem with these size mags is not it flying off, it's them wrecking it taking it off and on.
If they think they're saving money by buying a mag I explain thay are actually paying the same or more for a mag.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you quote her on a magnetic wrap ??

Thanks..... now I can't get Peter, Paul and Mary outa my head. Aw cripes...... now I'm hearing the Lettermen. :frustrated:

petepaz

we did some 24 x 36 for a customer and no complaints yet but i don't think they are on the van fulltime
(they where for the police for their stake out van so i know when i see them to stay out of that neighborhood..haha)

G

Ginger

We have done some that size before for econoline vans. Same deal, we recommend that they not do it, but if they have the cash... Usually they are for very temporary occasions and we haven't had any reports of failures. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink :)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
blueboy.gif
What I'm trying to figure out ... and no one else has mentioned, is where you will get a roll of mag sheet that is more than 24.375" wide?

GB2

Old Member
I believe there are larger rolls of digital print magnet now available.

Printable Magnets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter what type of printing you do, Magnum Magnetics has a magnetic solution for you.

We offer all of our printable magnet products magnetized prior to printing or un-magnetized for magnetizing post-printing.

Order Printable Magnet in Cut Sheets or Rolls

Some of our common sheet sizes are 8.5" x 11", 12" x 18", 12" x 24", 20" x 14", 23" x 35". Don’t see your sheet size? We can also produce sheets to meet your exact specifications.

We also sell our magnetic sheeting in standard roll lengths of 25 ft. (7.62 m), 50 ft. (15.24 m), 100 ft. (30.48 m), and 200 ft. (60.96 m) up to 24.375 in. (619.1 mm) wide. We can do custom roll lengths up to 1800 ft. (548.64 m) depending upon width and magnet thickness.

How to Magnetize your Printable Magnet

If you order our printable magnets un-magnetized, Magnum Magnetics builds and sells magnetizers so you can magnetize the magnetic sheeting after it is printed. We currently offer a handheld model ideal for the occasional and small jobs, a portable desktop model and automated models for larger and more frequent jobs.

You’ve come to the right company for printable magnets! We welcome the chance to talk with you about your needs and how we can help.

Well, it seems that reading further, I may have been mistaken and I do not see any reference to a wider material other than the 24" sheet material. You may be right again Fred!

Last edited:

ionsigns

The top area above the contours on an Econoline is NOT 30" tall.
Just lettered one and the max height at the rear is under 24"

I AM ALWAYS EXTREMELY SUSPICIOUS OF A CUSTOMER I CANNOT SEE especially if they do not have a business address or phone.

In my book a GOOD order begins when I see their face and is consumated with a handshake.

routierracing

You could recommend each line of text as a seperate magnet. Not as great visually but as far as function and safety it would have its benefits.