• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

5 post limit per day

Would you like to see a limit on posts?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKwrapguy

Yes, this is a free country, but morons don't need a loud voice.

Over the years here, I've seen many waves of these new people that come here and get addicted to posting. Their life revolves around it. Many are morons and spew their moronic views on every thread, sometimes posting 30-40 times in a single thread.

I think if the owner set a limit on the number of posts per day per user, people would be more informative and precise with what they post.

idea - For all the free accounts/non-premium threads, limit post numbers. Then make it unlimited posts with a premium membership.

I see what your saying and understand where your coming but I think the 10%of the time it's an issue doesn't mean that the rest 90% should suffer or be penalized for the action of a few people going off topic during a thread.

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
There are currently no plans for implementing any post limit restrictions on registered members.

This is a discussion board. So that would be silly right? As per this thread and the meme thread though, I do see a need to implement a more comprehensive set of posting policies so that the personal assaults leveled will be met with appropriate punitive action, which could include placing member(s) in the post moderation queue due to unbecoming interaction with fellow members. Such a mandate would serve the community in a better capacity than merely placing a daily post restriction on all *regular* members. In fact, the idea of restricting activity of *regular* members seems elitist. Signs101 is obviously a community for sign professionals, but we also welcome those who are not so learned and who are striving to better their craft. So why not be more welcoming and encouraging of the "morons spewing moronic views", as opposed to running away the newbies with our very own superior knowledge, wildly beating our chests as if Tarzan?!

Indeed, I'll recommend the idea of a more comprehensive posting policy to Signs101Admin and await his directive.

That being said though, we do welcome members to upgrade their membership to Premium and/or Market Members usergroup. There is a vast amount of info shared in the premium forums that is only available to upgraded members. See Signs101 Premium & Merchant Memberships options if interested in upgrading. Otherwise, enjoy the community banter :D

SignsSupport

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
There are currently no plans for implementing any post limit restrictions on registered members.

This is a discussion board. So that would be silly right? As per this thread and the meme thread though, I do see a need to implement a more comprehensive set of posting policies so that the personal assaults leveled will be met with appropriate punitive action, which could include placing member(s) in the post moderation queue due to unbecoming interaction with fellow members. Such a mandate would serve the community in a better capacity than merely placing a daily post restriction on all *regular* members. In fact, such an idea seems elitist. Signs101 is obviously a community for sign professionals, but we also welcome those who are not so learned and who are striving to better their craft. So why not be more welcoming and encouraging of the "morons spewing moronic views", as opposed to running away the newbies with our very own superior knowledge, wildly beating our chests as if Tarzan?!

Indeed, I'll recommend the idea of a more comprehensive posting policy to Signs101Admin and await his directive.

That being said though, we do welcome members to upgrade their membership to Premium and/or Market Members usergroup. There is a vast amount of info shared in the premium forums that is only available to upgraded members. See Signs101 Premium & Merchant Memberships options if interested in upgrading. Otherwise, enjoy the community banter :D

SignsSupport

Maybe there could be a section called Signs 201 ... so the ones that get upset at the beginner questions can hang out there in a safe space?

SignsSupport

Some posts have been removed. Let's try to keep it civil shall we?
Thanks.

Maybe there could be a section called Signs 201 ... so the ones that get upset at the beginner questions can hang out there in a safe space?
Or maybe we could simply treat people with the dignity we expect them to treat us with?
I mean... Who hasn't been a beginner? Just a thought...

What we do need is actual moderators who will shut down a thread that has gone bad and who will remove disgusting threads.
Agreed. And even more importantly is to have a comprehensive set of guidelines that the moderators can enforce.
It's definitely something that I'll suggest again and again.

SignsSupport

Bigdawg

Just Me
... Or maybe we could simply treat people with the dignity we expect them to treat us with?
I mean... Who hasn't been a beginner? Just a thought...
SignsSupport

Back in the old days... I came here not knowing a damn thing about signs. People (even some of the same ones that are UNhelpful now) helped me learn the art of making signs and how to do it right. No judgements. No "show us you deserve our help" attitudes. It was more like a family. But times have changed and this place has changed with it. We all started somewhere and it isn't from the same place. Many older sign makers were sign painters first who apprenticed under someone. That is not a financially or otherwise viable path to learn now. So they come to a place called "Signs 101" and are beat back down many times. I vote for helping someone over holding them down because they don't "deserve" our help. THIS is the only way some will learn the right way - from guidance that others share to make our business better.

So I'll try not to get so snarky with those I disagree with. Because I want to help make this place better - not contribute to its' decline.

Marlene

Back in the old days... I came here not knowing a damn thing about signs. People (even some of the same ones that are UNhelpful now) helped me learn the art of making signs and how to do it right. No judgements. No "show us you deserve our help" attitudes. It was more like a family. But times have changed and this place has changed with it. We all started somewhere and it isn't from the same place. Many older sign makers were sign painters first who apprenticed under someone. That is not a financially or otherwise viable path to learn now. So they come to a place called "Signs 101" and are beat back down many times. I vote for helping someone over holding them down because they don't "deserve" our help. THIS is the only way some will learn the right way - from guidance that others share to make our business better.

So I'll try not to get so snarky with those I disagree with. Because I want to help make this place better - not contribute to its' decline.

What you forgot to add was you were a good and fair moderator who helped keep us inline. I do agree with sign support that the moderators do need a comprehensive set of guidelines. We had a thread that was way out of line and it was clear that the moderators wanted to shut it down and the owner of the site said no. It still is going on and nothing good will ever come out of it and it should never have been allowed to continue. I can be a jerk like anyone else on here so I am no angel but I would rather talk about signs on a sign forum and leave all the rest to places like facebook.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Some of us know how to make money.

Do you think McDonald's would like a "Here's the special sauce recipe" website?

Don't you think a new fast food joint would like to be able to log into a website and figure out what really makes money, and not to lose money??

Everyone in this industry is competition.

Marlene

Some of us know how to make money.

Do you think McDonald's would like a "Here's the special sauce recipe" website?

Don't you think a new fast food joint would like to be able to log into a website and figure out what really makes money, and not to lose money??

I get that but help can be given without giving it all away. Pointing someone in the right direction or sharing your mistakes does a lot to help others.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Help someone possibly take money from me? No thanks. (unless it's a font :))

Ok, now I officially only have 1 more post, I don't think any will get removed.

SignsSupport

I can be a jerk like anyone else on here so I am no angel but I would rather talk about signs on a sign forum and leave all the rest to places like facebook.
It's a difficult balance, a delicate dance of sorts, as some members obviously want to have political discussions. In the current American political climate there's lots to be discussed. But is politics of the day a topic that should be allowed on Signs101? And not any specific political affiliation, but all of politics in general. Is it good for Signs101? I know there was a trial run at an no-holds-barred type forum on Signs101 in the past. It didn't work out as far as I can tell. But I've found that in such large venues. there can be a proper way to manage/moderate such provocative topics as politics and religion. It's a challenge and half because the moderating team is tasked with keeping moderation fair and unbiased, while keeping members in-line as far as the site's posting policy. As it is though, I'm not sure that there is any specific type policy that addresses such issues. So I'll be suggesting that one be developed.

Everyone in this industry is competition.
Sure.
But Signs101 is an online community of industry insiders whose purpose should be to share information that ultimately helps build others craft to a higher level quality, while gleaning a bit of wisdom for self from experiences shared by other members'. So while there's competition - the major "C-word" here is community.

Pointing someone in the right direction or sharing your mistakes does a lot to help others.
A lot of people in the industry have had no formal training and are self-taught.
The vast amount of info shared here is invaluable. The moves being made are in an effort to better the community experience.
Obviously it's a work in progress type thing.

Ok, now I officially only have 2 more posts, I don't think any will get removed.
I'm sure people appreciate your font recall ability. And thank you for sharing it.
But posts like this are quite counter-productive to the conversation. It's actually not a bad idea as for limiting posts towards the ultimate goal of improving overall validity & precision of information shared. As stated - we don't have any plans of implementing such a policy. The suggestion, however, has lead to some interesting conversation which will ultimately go to improve the Signs101 experience for all members.

Trying to keep it on topic ;)

SignsSupport

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
I'm sure people appreciate your font recall ability. And thank you for sharing it.
But posts like this are quite counter-productive to the conversation. It's actually not a bad idea as for limiting posts towards the ultimate goal of improving overall validity & precision of information shared. As stated - we don't have any plans of implementing such a policy. The suggestion, however, has lead to some interesting conversation which will ultimately go to improve the Signs101 experience for all members.
Awesome!

I bet people's fifth post would be VERY precise.

All the freebie's would come running to premium, just to get the last word in.

DerbyCitySignGuy

What you forgot to add was you were a good and fair moderator who helped keep us inline. I do agree with sign support that the moderators do need a comprehensive set of guidelines. We had a thread that was way out of line and it was clear that the moderators wanted to shut it down and the owner of the site said no. It still is going on and nothing good will ever come out of it and it should never have been allowed to continue. I can be a jerk like anyone else on here so I am no angel but I would rather talk about signs on a sign forum and leave all the rest to places like facebook.

Marlene is 100% correct.

She's probably more tactful than I am, but there is no place for the "meme" post from AMS. It's hateful garbage, plain and simple. The owner of Signs101 being okay with hateful content like that being hosted on this site is going to have a more detrimental effect on the longevity of Signs101 than any single user being a troll or a jerk. There is no place in a professional setting for that type of content. Even if the site owner agrees with it, it doesn't need to be here. It's trash, the people who think like that are trash, and trash belongs in a dumpster. Punching down is WEAK and so are the people that do it.

Politics and religion don't need to be off limits. Hate speech needs to be off limits and offenders need to be dealt with harshly.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Sure.
But Signs101 is an online community of industry insiders whose purpose should be to share information that ultimately helps build others craft to a higher level quality, while gleaning a bit of wisdom for self from experiences shared by other members'. So while there's competition - the major "C-word" here is community.
My biggest concern is when donkey's give wrong information. They think they have the knowledge, but it's the wrong knowledge.

If we're trying to help new people in the industry, don't you think they should have correct information?

I could name 5 users here that didn't graduate middle school, but their posts here like to seem like they have a master's degree worth of knowledge. But they don't.

Everyone has an opinion, but does it have to be shared on EVERY thread?

Last edited:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Limitations on various rights by government and policies and procedures by the private sector always start out for the best of reasons at the time. But once ceded you never get them back and they expand.

If some apparatus or another were to come to me and say that they could end all war, famine, pestilence, poverty, and [insert condition of your choice], and all that would be required would be a minor encroachment of some trivial right or privilege that I possess I'd just naturally tell them to find another way.

Exactly what unbearable condition is to be mitigated with a five post limit. Regardless of the answer my response is go pound sand.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We're all grown-ups here.... or so we think. So, why is it, we must treat any infraction on some individual's feelings and make the whole Community pay the price ?? Someone doesn't like this or that.... or this person or that answer, so you get enough people to complain about bogus allegations and it becomes necessary to make change(s).

This is first a community of professional sign people and/or students, but the vast majority sound like they've never had anything to do with signs or anything closely related. I've belonged to several sign forums, groups and have been associated with many mixers and this is by far the the most delicate bunch of them all..... by far.

It seems no one can take the other member when being brutally honest or up-front. Therefore, we must figure out a way to sugar-coat things, so we don't hurt someone's sensitive inner self.

A sign forum, a jeep forum or an RC forum..... who cares what the subject is...... it's just supposedly like-minded people getting along and talking the way they do when face to face. Ya like someone, you talk with them. You don't like someone at the other end of the room, you ignore them or just nod. Kinda simple.

But nooooo....... this place wants to go ballistic and put rules into effect as some members don't know how to cope with others.

Like HD said, they are so many terrible answers here and when pointed out, ya get beat down for telling the truth, regardless of how the message is being delivered. There are some still complaining about things that are days old and making idle threats towards others, but are sporting around under the wings of management here, cause they got a 'LIKES'. Big Deal. Kiss up and you're bound to get a 'LIKES'. Those looking to be popular and liked have a huge awakening waiting for them. Within an hour or two of a post being made..... all is forgotten by the masses. Only those holding grudges and malice towards others have this stuff memorized and using it.​

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
It's usually only a cycle of 5 or 6 people that ruin a thread by posting too much.

If the morons didn't come around, Gino would be very helpful.

edit: I like the number 7, so let's leave it at that.

See you on the next thread!

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It seems no one can take the other member when being brutally honest or up-front. Therefore, we must figure out a way to sugar-coat things, so we don't hurt someone's sensitive inner self.

There is a difference in being condescending, and being respectful.

Status
Not open for further replies.