• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

8048 Shrinking

klingsdesigns

So not sure what is happening here. Had some vinyl sitting for about 2 weeks waiting for a car to get dropped off. Went to apply today and it looks like the 8048 is shrinking on Avery 2105 ezrs.

Attachments

• IMG_6799.JPG
    IMG_6799.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 362
  • IMG_6802.JPG
    IMG_6802.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 305
  • IMG_6803.JPG
    IMG_6803.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 275

Christian @ 2CT Media

That's not good, I'm not experiencing that here but this is a blown film so it may have to do with tension on the laminator. Is it only on this example or do you have cut offs doing the same thing?

klingsdesigns

I have searched some other stuff laminated and cut around same time and didnt notice anything. I am going to look at an install after work that was done around the same time to see if that is ok. It is getting to the end of the roll but still so weird. Inks would have been dry and why its only shrinking one way is weird.. Well one way more than the other. I told customer i want to contact him in 30 days to see what it does. Also contacted grimco and they are looking into it as well. Was cut on a summa s2t if that helps at all. Aslo cold laminated as we do all of it that way.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I have searched some other stuff laminated and cut around same time and didnt notice anything. I am going to look at an install after work that was done around the same time to see if that is ok. It is getting to the end of the roll but still so weird. Inks would have been dry and why its only shrinking one way is weird.. Well one way more than the other. I told customer i want to contact him in 30 days to see what it does. Also contacted grimco and they are looking into it as well. Was cut on a summa s2t if that helps at all. Aslo cold laminated as we do all of it that way.
Thats our exact process, the only thing I can think is high laminate tension in the laminator that is causing pull back when cut.

klingsdesigns

I will see if I can loosen up some of my tension and see if that helps. For whatever reason when customers are visiting they always want to touch the laminator so maybe they turned it tighter. This is what 3m suggested I was told. He said that the shrinkage is normal with the variances in vinyl and the laminate even thought the laminate is a cast. He suggested to maybe try another laminate.

klingsdesigns

I did notice the other job i was going to check out was shrinking as well one way. Tomorrows jobs i will lower tension and give it a whirl.

ikarasu

Aw man. You guys just got me onto 8048... I custom ordered a ton of 30" rolls and everything.

Hopefully it's just a setting issue! All the rolls we've used so far have been good... But most of the stuff is out the door within a day so we never see if the final product is shrinking or not. Guess I'll do some samples and throw them outside for tests!

klingsdesigns

I sure hope so. I have gone through a few rolls of it with no issues except for the last couple. We have gone through a couple printers and cutters since December so hopefully it’s something as simple as the laminator tension. Not sure if it’s the epson inks or summa cutter or not enough pressure laminating or what.

klingsdesigns

So not sure what is going on had more jobs come back with top edge failing. Here is my trailer I lettered in December. 40c with 8048.

Attachments

• 0F4236C1-6692-487B-BA0D-F9CB3E066CB0.jpeg
    0F4236C1-6692-487B-BA0D-F9CB3E066CB0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 258

OhioSigns

I just switched from 8508 to 8048 about 2 months ago because everyone was saying how much better it was. Keep us informed..... I may go back to the 8508 for cheap stuff.

klingsdesigns

I am hoping it’s just the 40c. I have had issues a few times in the last three years. I have been doing 2105 Avery and 8048. Will find out how that goes.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
May I ask why you're using Avery print media, but not Avery laminate? Personally, I've had instances of mixing manufacturers in that manner that didn't really work out well. Even more so when the media is calendared instead of cast.

klingsdesigns

I switched because I started to really dislike 3m with quality issues. I keep using 8048 because other people have used it and liked it. I will probably switch to Avery lam as well if I keep having problems the 8048. It is non pvc and supposed to be nicer then calandered pvc lam.

ikarasu

I messed up the end of a sign I was laminating today. It was on Nikkalite.... The ease in which I could pull off the 8048 was scary. We've never had one delaminate on us... But it was easier to pull it off, even in non printed areas than it is to pull transfer tape off.