• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

8x20 sign

Jbh25

I have a 8ftx20ft sign to make and install on a block building. The costumer does not want to spend alot so what would be the best material to use, it will be 4 4x10 sheets butted togeather. Also what would be the best way to fasten it to wall

Shadowglen

From my past experience a lot of the customers say they don't want to spend a lot, but still expect it to look and hold up like the more expensive signs. This could be an invitation to a dissatisfied customer unless you are totally up front with what you are building the sign out of. How long do they expect the sign to last? What is there definition of not spending a lot? This is a case where I would give them options so they know what there dollar is buying them. If they want a sign to last years then they need to be schooled just a little on the durability of the materials. (Cast vrs Calandar) I myself am just getting back in the sign game after some years away and I am having to educate myself on some of the newer materials on the market. I always preferred materials like Alumacore on most of the outside signs we put up. Now I have been using omega bond because it has a solid core and is thinner also less money than Alumacore about 50 to 60 bucks a sheet I think this is similar to the ACM but not sure. I would visit with the customer and find his true needs before just trying to do the cheapest job for him.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave

Malkin

I would probably use (5) 4x8 vertical sheets, simpler to fit together.

Cheap method would be to attach 2x4's to building, then screw mount 3mm polymetal sign panels to that.

Jbh25

I was thinking about using omaga board but was not sure on it's outside life. I need to stay around 500.00 on materials and I will be fine thanks for yalls help

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
your customer is on crack if he thinks he can get a professionally made 160 sq. ft. sign for 500 bucks.

Salmoneye

$500? Break out the pounce wheel and send out a table Monkey with a fitch and a house painting brush. I can't believe you are even considering this. We wouldn't do 4mm coro and a tube of adhesive for that.

Jbh25

I'm charging 2400.00 for the sign and install. I'm trying to stay around 500 or 600 for material. They don't even want to pay for cast material.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay..... here ya go.

You put up 2" x 6" x 46" stringers at every 48" seam. In the middle of every 4' x 8' you put another stringer, but a 2" x 4" x 46" will suffice. This is provided you use 4' x 8's upright and the stingers are vertical. Cost on that material is about $125. If you use 1/2" MDO, you'll have with labor of prepping and painting another $375 in it. There's your $500 on materials and this includes time for prepping. If you use aluminum composite, the seams might show a little more than with half inch wood.

Do yourself a favor and get a 10' super straight 2" x 4" and use that as a stay for the bottom to hold your panels while you screw them fast.

401Graphics

the cheapest way i can come up with (not using coro) is to make square tube frames and rivet 040 aluminum to it. And if you want clean edges add some frame moulding. all that should come out to around $400 (your cost) (not including the vinyl you'll be applying to it)

iprint

If they want to go cheap, why not just mount a banner? No seams and well under budget. If done right could even look better than economy sign.

Imakesigns

with the money you save them on a banner, make them some other signs at higher profit margins and showcase your talent.