• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

a 2nd business ?

ddubia

I don't own the shop I work in, but when you enter our reception area it's actually a Hot Sauce Shoppe and a Sandwich Shop. Bottles of hot sauce, rubs, garlics, etc, on shelves on every wall. The owner, (being a chef quality cook), did a promotion one Saturday for some smokers he bought to sell by offering pulled pork sandwiches for $6. A large kaiser roll, 1 full cup of smoked, pulled pork, several tablespoons of his homemade BBQ sauce then covered with a 1/2 cup of homemade cole slaw. He sold 87 sandwiches on that day with no advertisement. He was done with that it was only a one-day thing.

On Monday morning people were calling in wanting to order carry-out for lunch. He had meat left over so sold another 39 sandwiches that day. Seeing some possibilities in it he opened a small restaurant along with the hot sauce shop and had been slammed for three weeks Wed-Sat 11am-5:30. He's selling sandwiches of smoked pulled pork, smoked beef brisket and smoked chicken (with a peachy BBQ sauce). Everything is homemade right in our small hallway of a kitchen at the shop which has been upgraded to meet our city's health codes.

So now our reception area is for the sign shop, a hot sauce shop and a sandwich shop/ restaurant that seats 12. One day soon I'm going to post a thread with plenty of pics. It's a pretty unusual yet interesting place now.

I am involved, by choice, only in the sign shop. There's plenty of sign work to do and since I'm the major sign maker here I don't want to spread myself too thin, get them dependent on my help with the food and then get slammed with sign work being the only one to to do it. We do have an employee originally hired as sign shop help who is more and more asked to help with the other stuff. We also have a secretary who used to own a pizza shop so she's been real handy with the food biz.

I'm still "just" a sign guy. But the owner of our shop is plenty busy in other things with this new combination of businesses.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
A lot of quality people here. Love the millionaire comment!

Manufacture Rep for Eco Solvent Ink products -
Manufacture Rep for Philips Media products -
Manufacture Rep for CIS for Desktop Printers Products -

Francis

Fieldcenter
J-STAR / Good Start!!

Attachments

• printingprinting.gif
    printingprinting.gif
    167.7 KB · Views: 95

klemgraphics

Auto body repair, accessories, window tint, lift kits, performance parts, just about anything I can sell to make some $$$. Then I go home and the wife spends it all on home improvements which I can call another job for me. Leaves me just about enough time to sleep a couple hours and do it all over again.

proline51

my main income "right now", is my power engineering job. but the sign business is slowly gain ground. an hopefully one day i will be able to go half time at the mill, and full time in the sign biz. things are really starting to get hecktic, and the wife is putting pressure on me to take some time off, but i just tell her, " as long as you keep spendin', i gotta keep workin' LOL" that usually dosn't go over that well. as you can imagine.:doh:

PLD

SlightlyChilled

Full time cable guy. But a real one that works on the main lines and fiber.Fell into the sign thing last year now trying to learn all I can before I make a push. Like I have said before I have loved vinyl graphics sense I was little boy. When Oakley made that big marketing push with the window stickers in the 80's man I was in love.

stickermonkey

Besides making signs full-time since 1985 I also am a mom to three.
That in and of itself is another job!
Love....Jill

You got that right Jill!! I'm the mother of 2 kiddos, (4 if you count my husband & the furry kid!) ha!

I also design and sell printing (offset print broker), we have a lamination service & qick copy & fax service as well. Used to do t-shirt & sublimation printing onto mugs and all kinds of stuff too...but it was a pain in the ass.

We've fairly recently expanded into Advertising Agency work. I love anything that is creative. It was a natural progression as we do a lot of buisness start up brand design...it's just convenient for the customer to have us handle their branding and advertising for them.

:) It keeps me busy! But this weekend....I'm OUTA here!! Cottage bound.:wine-smi:

dwt

I tint glass (home-auto-office), make signs, spray in liners. Wife owns a therapy clinic and every few years we license other therapist by teaching continuing education credits. Always looking for another angle.

JasperST

I do some sub work for Fermi Labs, almost have the unified field of everything wrapped up. I've got my own particle accelerator buried under my back yard but I'm laying low for now. I think the power company is on to me...or maybe they think I'm growing pot.

day job

I work in brokerage operations for one of the big banks. hoping to spend 100% of my time in graphics and signmaking. i just started the signmaking business last march and operating from home.