• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question A serious question..........................

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Unless you live in the UK! You get billed right out of your wages!

Still, if I got COVID-19 or even cancer. All the treatment I receive would be free. I fancy my odds better here lol

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, what is the problem? I'll bet someone here could advise you.

I have Quickbooks on both my computers in my office here at the shop. The old one works on Windows 7, but now with Windows 10, it cannot create a .pdf. It's version 2011. We do not create invoices, just quotes and work orders and such. Our office has a 2019 version and it can do it on the Windows 10 setup. I had contacted Quickbooks and they sent me a quick fix and said try that. I did, but it didn't work, so I called my computer guy. He said, he knew pretty much about Quickbooks and also about creating .pdfs, so he said he should be able to fix it and kinda quickly. The other problem was a faxing issue. However, somehow I fixd that..... just don't ask me how.

Dan360

I had a similar problem with our order software when we switched to Windows 10. For some reason, on one computer, it wouldn't create PDFs with the windows PDF printer but other programs could use it. I ended up installing Foxit reader which installs it's own PDF printer and it worked.

MikePro

You don't get paid to scratch your head for an hour and then give-up.
I would contest the fee, if its worth hours of your time, or simply pay it to save yourself the headache and move-on to makin' money.

....if its a matter of creating a .pdf from quickbooks, is it possible to print what you're trying to save but select to save to .pdf in the print dialog?
....and if its a matter of not being able to do that, then isn't it as simple as installing adobe reader on the computer to gain that option?

Dan360

....and if its a matter of not being able to do that, then isn't it as simple as installing adobe reader on the computer to gain that option?

That's the problem I was having. I reinstalled the microsoft one several times, acrobat reader doesn't come with a pdf printer anymore but I tried acrobat pro and it still didn't work for some reason.

rossmosh

I 100% would not pay this guy because he couldn't figure out how to print a PDF. That's embarrassing.

Quickbooks has an internal PDF writer driver they use. As versions get older and operating systems get newer, it can break. Corel is infamous for having problems because they wrote code that relied on Windows base code and when Windows changed their coding, Corel had major problems with older versions.

The fix is ridiculously simple. Download a PDF Print Driver. (https://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp). Now when you want to make a PDF, instead of hitting "Print -> PDF" you hit "Print". You'll then select CutePDF driver (or whatever they call it) instead of your actual printer.

Now where's my $100?

WildWestDesigns

I reinstalled the microsoft one several times, acrobat reader doesn't come with a pdf printer anymore but I tried acrobat pro and it still didn't work for some reason.

I was only aware of Acrobat Pro having the PDF plugin, but there are several out there, CutePDF etc.

As to Gino Quickbooks woes, I wouldn't be surprised if they resurface again. 2011 version on the Win 10 was the one causing problems. Getting legacy programs to work, tends to require work arounds or jerry riggin' fixes etc.

For creating PDFs that are plugin options that create PDF "printers", that's what I would look into. For faxing, I haven't had to mess with that in well over a decade, so I'm out of the loop on that.

GB2

Old Member
I'm also using Quickbooks v11 so I have similar issues. The basic problem is that QB v11 is not compatible with Windows 10 and really requires an upgrade to a newer version if you hope to use it with a Windows 10 computer. Unfortunately, QB v11 was a great version that still functions perfectly in every way and it seems painful to have to upgrade just because you are being forced to however, this is the way of the world and change is inevitable. Once you commit to upgrading, then you'll have to decide whether to stick to the desktop version or go with the on-line subscription, which also is the new way of the world albeit expense way.

So in QB v11 I know if you want to create a PDF from an Estimate for example, you go to File/Save as PDF. That is what is not working for you I imagine but can you just go to Print/Print to PDF to accomplish the same thing or does that not work either?

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I 100% would not pay this guy because he couldn't figure out how to print a PDF. That's embarrassing.

Quickbooks has an internal PDF writer driver they use. As versions get older and operating systems get newer, it can break. Corel is infamous for having problems because they wrote code that relied on Windows base code and when Windows changed their coding, Corel had major problems with older versions.

The fix is ridiculously simple. Download a PDF Print Driver. (https://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp). Now when you want to make a PDF, instead of hitting "Print -> PDF" you hit "Print". You'll then select CutePDF driver (or whatever they call it) instead of your actual printer.

Now where's my $100?
Second this. I've been using PrimoPDF for years.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm also using Quickbooks v11 so I have similar issues. The basic problem is that QB v11 is not compatible with Windows 10 and really requires an upgrade to a newer version if you hope to use it with a Windows 10 computer. Unfortunately, QB v11 was a great version that still functions perfectly in every way and it seems painful to have to upgrade just because you are being forced to however, this is the way of the world and change is inevitable. Once you commit to upgrading, then you'll have to decide whether to stick to the desktop version or go with the on-line subscription, which also is the new way of the world albeit expense way.

So in QB v11 I know if you want to create a PDF from an Estimate for example, you go to File/Save as PDF. That is what is not working for you I imagine but can you just go to Print/Print to PDF to accomplish the same thing or does that not work either?

That's exactly my predicament. However, I tried your suggestion and it worked swimmingly. Just hafta make a new folder to hold that stuff.

Thank you

Now, why is a computer nerd, who builds, fixes and knows the programs I have, not able to figure that out ?? Now, I'm still gonna pay him, but I'm also gonna let him know how incompetent he is and should not go around saying he can do this,this or that and charge for doing NOTHING.​

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
That's exactly my predicament. However, I tried your suggestion and it worked swimmingly. Just hafta make a new folder to hold that stuff.

Thank you

Now, why is a computer nerd, who builds, fixes and knows the programs I have, not able to figure that out ?? Now, I'm still gonna pay him, but I'm also gonna let him know how incompetent he is and should not go around saying he can do this,this or that and charge for doing NOTHING.​

Tell him you figured it out and let him how you did it. I know from experience that he will feel like a complete idiot.

decalman

Yes. Just because he couldn't fix it doesn't mean he isn't due his fee. Its not his fault your computer was broken beyond repair, and also that he didn't know that before opening it up.

I paid $225 for a dealership to look over our work van and give us an estimate for repairs. If I had fixed it, that fee would have been waived.

So take it as a diagnostic fee. Because that is what it was.
I paid one thousand to dealer. They didn't fix anything . Finally, a guy that knew diesel fixed it for under 200. bucks .
Never, ever, go to A Rippoff dealer.

signage

I paid one thousand to dealer. They didn't fix anything . Finally, a guy that knew diesel fixed it for under 200. bucks .
Never, ever, go to A Rippoff dealer.

How could you afford a thousand and then 200 to fix a diesel, when you can't afford software to help with you business that earns you money to pay for that diesel fuel and repairs????????????????

rydods

Member for quite some time.
"The other problem was a faxing issue."

What's a fax?? Do people still use that?o_O

decalman

How could you afford a thousand and then 200 to fix a diesel, when you can't afford software to help with you business that earns you money to pay for that diesel fuel and repairs????????????????
Please note: I had a good year ( for me ) in 2018 so I had some savings.... plus, if the diesel truck needs repair, it has first priority . Reason being is... I'm soo poor, I live IN THE TRUCK. - truck camper. Who can afford rent? Next question?