• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question A serious question..........................

FASTSIGNS

This is not necessarily on point and I am not the computer person in our shop - but we use a monthly service. They can spend all the time in the world to fix a problem and it is the same monthly cost. Some months they are working on problems for hours a day - like when we upgraded to windows10, new server, new desktop to load programs, remote access. Some months quiet. They handle our firewall so we are protected also handle any other messages our server or desktops have. If any of our 10 employees have computer issue, they deal directly with the computer company. We can purchase machines through them and they install and set up. parmac.com Highly recommend.

signage

Please note: I had a good year ( for me ) in 2018 so I had some savings.... plus, if the diesel truck needs repair, it has first priority . Reason being is... I'm soo poor, I live IN THE TRUCK. - truck camper. Who can afford rent? Next question?

Why would you sleep in a truck camper when you have a shop?
You can't fit a printer and all supplies in a truck camper, must have breathed too many ink fumes?

fresh

I paid one thousand to dealer. They didn't fix anything . Finally, a guy that knew diesel fixed it for under 200. bucks .
Never, ever, go to A Rippoff dealer.

um, yeah. My van had been to multiple places that were just fixing whatever code came up. I needed to have a complete diagnostic with estimates so we could decide what we wanted to do. There are dealerships / service departments that work on Ford vans every single day. My regular mechanic couldn't (or didn't want to) figure out what the real problem was. I happily paid the $200+. Why should I expect that they are going to spend a few hours figuring out what needs to be fixed for free? I'm happy, they are happy.

decalman

Why would you sleep in a truck camper when you have a shop?
You can't fit a printer and all supplies in a truck camper, must have breathed too many ink fumes?

Your right about me having a shop.
Your also correct about not fitting all my crap in a truck camper.
Heres the zinger......
My shop isnt very big.
No ~ Poor people, cant afford big.
My shop is a 16 foot CARGO TRAILER .
Got an 11 foot table, equipped with a Summa D75......and it is Crammed with Crap.
On the lighter side , it's CHEAP.
Its got special long hitch that works great with a truck camper. If it wasn't for the fact that I gotta have a special long hitch, I would have a 20 x 8. More room to put my dung, which includes generator, air conditioner, swamp cooler, roof ladders tools , refrigerator ,solar, vinyl ,etc.

signage

Your right about me having a shop.
Your also correct about not fitting all my crap in a truck camper.
Heres the zinger......
My shop isnt very big.
No ~ Poor people, cant afford big.
My shop is a 16 foot CARGO TRAILER .
Got an 11 foot table, equipped with a Summa D75......and it is Crammed with Crap.
On the lighter side , it's CHEAP.
Its got special long hitch that works great with a truck camper. If it wasn't for the fact that I gotta have a special long hitch, I would have a 20 x 8. More room to put my dung, which includes generator, air conditioner, swamp cooler, roof ladders tools , refrigerator ,solar, vinyl ,etc.

Interesting let's see a picture of this set-up, inside and out of the shop, hitched up to the truck camper!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You probably are interested, but brian is just nosey and wants to poke fun at decal and ridicule him. It's his nature. He rarely helps or suggests anything, other than snide remarks and dumb input. Some people are sly about it, but not him. He's all thumbs.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Ah, well I'm not being sarcastic at all. I wouldn't poke fun, I'm just interest to see how it all looks. People with small budgets and tight quarters can do some impressive things with limited space. He might have space saving ideas that might benifit other shops. Come on decal man, post up some pics! This is like tiny house for sign shops...could be a trend if were all forced to downsize because of coronavirus.

Andy D

If he didn't have a sign stating that he charges for time spent, not problems solved, you should offer to
make one for him in trade-out.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/12/what-to-do-when-product-repairs-go-wrong/index.htm

"First, your rights likely depend on whether the technician acted reasonably and on what the contract or work order says.
If the repair was unsuccessful but the technician took reasonable steps to diagnose and fix the problem,
you may not be legally entitled to anything.

“Service providers don’t guarantee that everything will go perfectly. They guarantee that they’ll do it as a reasonably competent person would in that profession,”
says Richard Alderman, who heads University of Houston’s Consumer for Law Center."

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, Tuesday, before I made this thread, I left a message on his voice=mail about needing to talk to him about his recent invoice and said I was kinda surprised by it. Please call me. He still hasn't called me. Wonder if he had second thoughts or is gonna just 'write me off' ??

decalman

Decalman inside.jpg
Interesting let's see a picture of this set-up, inside and out of the shop, sure thing. Got your curiosity going.
Heres my pic. Dont laugh you'll hurt my feelings .

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
SO, back on topic. If you did several layouts for a customer and they didn't do the project with you do you charge for your time for doing layouts?
I find it hard to charge "up front" before any work is done just in case someone blows you off after doing layouts. BUT many sign companies do charge up front to make sure they get paid for their time even though the customer go's somewhere else and is not using their layouts.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most business minded people will not do any layouts, ideas or sketches for anyone, just for this very reason. If the customer can't get a feel for what you are capable of, by looking around your shop or website, they probably are just price shopping.

A car lot will let you test drive a car you are interested in, but they won't let you take it home without signing papers and money down.

A computer guy, who says he can fix my problems and has done so in the past, has my confidence, but if he doesn't deliver any goods, I ain't paying him.

You build a relationship over time, so some people get preferential treatment, but no one gets a 'free pass' when they are in the wrong, not in my book. We'll see.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay....... the guy called me and asked what's the matter ??

I told him I felt his invoice was outta line for doing nothing, after being told he could indeed fix it and rather quickly. He said, when mixing old software and new hardware, 9 outta 10 times it won't work. He said, did you use my advice ?? Ahhh, what was that, other than you couldn't fix it ??

I told you to instal your 2019 version from your office.

No, I cannot do that logistically, nor is it the right thing to do. The office is 20 miles away and if one location is on, the other cannot be on and vice/versa. He said, so..... it's a fix.

I told him, and we went round and round with his telling me his services are chargeable and I said but you didn't deliver any services.

After about 10 minutes, it ended up his saying, Okay, I'll remove this invoice form my system on one condition. What's that ??

You never call me again if you have a problem. That's when he p!ssed me off.

I said, you couldn't even fix either of the two things you were here to fix. The fax, I got working, later that same afternoon. Don't ask me how, but I fixed it.... and it's been working ever since. The other problem, I asked on a sign forum and it was answered within minutes of posting. Quite frankly, it was a rather easy fix. He said, good, then you got it fixed. Yeah, but not with any of your help. I said why is it, you couldn't or didn't know this rather simple fix ?? You charge me big numbers to do nothing and someone fixed it from about 400 miles away.... for free.

There's no reason for you to take that stupid stance of telling me not to call you...... I wouldn't call you for anything anyway, after this last performance and then your silly accusations. Therefore, I'll take ya up on not calling you and you tear up my invoice.

So, although I said I was gonna pay him..... nada, not after that nonsense.

Again, thank you so much, GB2, for your help and all the others who chimed in with their help.​

Gino :toasting:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Okay....... the guy called me and asked what's the matter ??

I told him I felt his invoice was outta line for doing nothing, after being told he could indeed fix it and rather quickly. He said, when mixing old software and new hardware, 9 outta 10 times it won't work. He said, did you use my advice ?? Ahhh, what was that, other than you couldn't fix it ??

I told you to instal your 2019 version from your office.

No, I cannot do that logistically, nor is it the right thing to do. The office is 20 miles away and if one location is on, the other cannot be on and vice/versa. He said, so..... it's a fix.

I told him, and we went round and round with his telling me his services are chargeable and I said but you didn't deliver any services.

After about 10 minutes, it ended up his saying, Okay, I'll remove this invoice form my system on one condition. What's that ??

You never call me again if you have a problem. That's when he p!ssed me off.

I said, you couldn't even fix either of the two things you were here to fix. The fax, I got working, later that same afternoon. Don't ask me how, but I fixed it.... and it's been working ever since. The other problem, I asked on a sign forum and it was answered within minutes of posting. Quite frankly, it was a rather easy fix. He said, good, then you got it fixed. Yeah, but not with any of your help. I said why is it, you couldn't or didn't know this rather simple fix ?? You charge me big numbers to do nothing and someone fixed it from about 400 miles away.... for free.

There's no reason for you to take that stupid stance of telling me not to call you...... I wouldn't call you for anything anyway, after this last performance and then your silly accusations. Therefore, I'll take ya up on not calling you and you tear up my invoice.

So, although I said I was gonna pay him..... nada, not after that nonsense.

Again, thank you so much, GB2, for your help and all the others who chimed in with their help.​

Gino :toasting:

That was incredibly unprofessional on his part.

Jim Hill

Had some computer work performed by my local computer guy and had him in to fix two problems, which he said he knew my program. After 1.25 hours, he finally said, he's sorry, but he couldn't figure out the problem or how to fix it, so I was exactly where I was before he came in. I just got a bill from him today for the full 1.25 hours. Is that normal or expected ?? Must I pay someone for something they were called on to work
on specifically, but couldn't fix it ??

:thankyou: Gino
I did the exact same thing you did. I explained my problem when I called the computer guy on the phone and he told me he could fix the problem so he came over and he fixed one of my problems but could not fix another problem with the computer.
He charged me $420.00 I was not a happy camper about it but I paid him and will never use him again!

They all talk a good game but then fail to deliver on the talk and fixing what they say they can fix.
Jim

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I did the exact same thing you did. I explained my problem when I called the computer guy on the phone and he told me he could fix the problem so he came over and he fixed one of my problems but could not fix another problem with the computer.
He charged me $420.00 I was not a happy camper about it but I paid him and will never use him again!

They all talk a good game but then fail to deliver on the talk and fixing what they say they can fix.
Jim

I learned never to talk in absolutes when in that business. "I think I can" "I can try" "We'll see"

To this day I keep that trait.

"That sign won't fall down will it?" "Probably not"