• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A sign to ponder?

Jon Aston

sign-about-the-big-box.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

carole2cats

I miss the smaller (some family owned business) and the variety stores, etc. Walmart has put them all out of business here.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Times change, adapt or perish. It's neither good nor bad, it just is.

Nonetheless the apparatus that appears to be the author of this work would seem to be overstepping its bounds in perhaps using public funds to advance an editorial opinion. An opinion that might be held fervently but certainly not universally.

threeputt

Once again, I agree with Bob. He's right on. I guess we're not supposed to get political on this board, but if we remain civil? Can we then?

Think about isolationism. You do my wash, I'll do yours. How soon before Americans figure some stuff out. We are not an island. Global markets are for real. We buy from them, so they can afford to buy from us.

Or....stick your head in the sand like the proverbial ostrich and pretend.

There is no question that things are about to change and change big. And no amount of handwringing will change that.

Adapt or perish.

threeputt

What, you mean even their vinyl cutters are no good?

mamos

The chinese plants have the ability to make better products. But, just like some new sign shops, they have chosen to go cheap to gain market share. There's plenty of players in the "high end". Why compete there?

I remind people that fifty years ago "Made in Japan" was a symbol meaning made very cheap, and poorly constructed.

Now fast forward to today. And take a look at your electronics people. Take a look at autombiles. Most Americans no longer regard the Japanese stuff as "cheaply made". This is where China is currently.

threeputt

One last volley. The sign says the store was bankrupted by the big box store. Think about that statement. Is is true?

The store was bankrupted by the very customers it used to have. They switched to the box stores because of pricing. Right? They're loyalty is a little thin, and that's what is at issue. The sign lies.

If Americans prized hometown businesses as they love to say they do,(ie: businesses that exclusively offer American made products) then that store would still be going strong.

Americans say one thing, but act in their own self-interest. You do, I do, we all do. The people at Walmart have simply known this truth long before most of their competitors and jumped on it.

Urban Image

I don't buy Chinese "crap". But I do buy Chinese goods that are high quality and good value. They seem to be getting better and better at making things.
Just like the Japanese did.

Adrian

Again, a bit of dry humor. If we didn't buy 'Chinese crap' we wouldn't have much at all.

mediaman

Read Thomas Friedman's book, "The World is Flat" and you won't worry so much about Chinese goods or tech support from India. My fear is that some on this forum don't want to know what is going on in the business world today. Roland produces their latest series of cutters in China and they have fewer problems than ever. Most of the Pacific Rim electronics (and auto) plants utilize Charles Deming's Statistical Process Control, which was dismissed by US manufacturers until the Japanese auto makers showed us the way. "It's a small world" was never more appropriate than in 2007 and it ain't gonna change anytime soon.

MobileImpact

the only difference between Chinese crap and American crap is where it's made!

Crap is Crap. Somehow along the way we've become tolerant of accepting less than quality on the premise of it's " American Made"

mediaman

MobileImpact,

I don't disagree with your statement, but can you give some examples of what you perceive as poorly made American goods. Just curious.