• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A sign to ponder?

LaserImage

MobileImpact,

I don't disagree with your statement, but can you give some examples of what you perceive as poorly made American goods. Just curious.

Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, etc., etc.

Compare them to Honda and Toyota and you see that there is NO comparison. What are the two most popular vehicles? Honda Accord and Toyota Camry - nuff said...

Gary

TheSnowman

Thank goodness people are finally starting to realize we have a problem.

Adrian

I think we've known about the problem for a while, but it's hard to not go to Wal-Mart, when it's got what you need, and it's cheaper. I mean, I'm all about supportin' the little guy, but bottom line is, we all feed our families and take vacations etc. by savin' a little every now and then. Waddya gonna do? Just hope you don't get gobbled up yourself I guess.

threeputt

I think we've known about the problem for a while, but it's hard to not go to Wal-Mart, when it's got what you need, and it's cheaper. I mean, I'm all about supportin' the little guy, but bottom line is, we all feed our families and take vacations etc. by savin' a little every now and then. Waddya gonna do? Just hope you don't get gobbled up yourself I guess.

How is it that "you're all about supportin' the little guy"? All about means just what it says.

What you, (and yes me too), are "all about" is ourselves. Otherwise, Wal-Mart would have no allure whatsover. Think about it.

TheSnowman

Let me re-phrase it then...I'm all about the idea of supporting the little guy, but it's hard to spend more on the same thing from somewhere else. I have people come to me all the time and say...I can get this for this price here, can you do it for the same...and I just have to say yes to get the job. That's small business sometimes. Yeah, it sucks, but to keep it local, you've gotta just bite the bullet sometimes I guess. That's my own choice too, I sure don't expect everyone to operate their business like that, because sometimes, it's not worth it. That's each man's decision.

threeputt

Yes, I know. We all pay "lip service" to this concept. It makes us feel good and not blame-worthy. But the reality is much different.

Many of Americans need to climb down from their high-horse and see the reality of business. ie: If Americans are willing to drive to the edge of town to pick up a few items from Wal-Mart and in so doing, save a few bucks, how's that any different from the manufacturer who says, "hey, I can make this in Mexico for less."

The reality is, in order for us to succeed (our families) we justify the purchase of goods from Wal-Mart. In order to succeed the manufacturer justifies the use of foreign labor. But they catch hell for it. We ourselves.....well we're just being frugal, thrifty, blah, blah, blah.

gnemmas

It has come full cycle here.

China was happily isolating itself for thousands of years. Then came the Western power forcefully opened their market, I mean using Military Force. Most notably the "Opium War", in which British merchant shipping opium into China for the purpose of corrupting Chinese people. When Chinese custom confiscated and burned those opiums, in came the British Navy. Resulting a treaty that gave British the Hong Kong island for 99 years among other concessions.

Fast forward to 2007. Who is doping who now? As far as those craps, most are designed, specified, purchased by American merchants, exported to make money for Americans. China offers inexpensive labor force and manufacturing facilities. Our economy is benefited globally a great deal.

I wouldn't worry about the crap WE PRODUCED in China. The oil we importing is where my concern is. We should add $3.00 a gallon gas tax to develop alternative energy. At $6.00 a gallon, we will change our behavior and start cutting down consumption.

THATgirl

Well many do get gobbled up. I see tons of coffee shops and sign shops go out of business because Starbucks and FastSigns are on every corner. Starbucks isn't even that great of coffee, and most sign franchises are not that great. They cater to the cheap customers who are in a hurry. But to the businesses who prevail and don't give up, they can acquire customers who think like they do. They just have to be different and not give up. Tully's coffee has a whole new marketing approach and my guess is they are going to do great. Their coffee is one of the best. Sure I get tired of the big sign franchises, but I too, refuse to give up.
Nope I don't shop at Walmart. Don't even go to Starbucks much unless they are the only one in the area. I like the little stores and lumber marts but, the way of the world is going el cheapo. Everything seems to be made cheap and everyone seems to be in a hurry. And unless we can be different, or just keep on keepin' on......we will get gobbled up too.

ChiknNutz

I regularly go out of my way to go to the LOCAL one-off Mom & Pop stores when I can...most often the lumber yards & hardware stores. Although Home Depot and Lowe's are usually less $$$, they SUCK to shop at!!! Sure, I try to save money when I can, but service also has intrinsic value that WalMart and other BIG stores fail miserably at!!!

Dave Drane

Anyone want to buy some of Australia's finest chardonnay real cheap??? Then get your ass over to walmart and you can pick up a magnum of Yellowtail for around $12. We can't buy the standard bottle here for anything like that. It was quite amusing when visiting friends when we were there last April and turn up with a bottle and they would think we bought it over from Aus. Then the look of horror when we told them where we bought it. They soon changed their minds about where they were going to buy their wine.

Now just to be a smart ass... I wonder if the chinese paint their plotters with leaded paint, or do they just keep that for Mattell so they can poison the kiddies first.

gpd123

Tshhhh

Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, etc., etc.

Compare them to Honda and Toyota and you see that there is NO comparison. What are the two most popular vehicles? Honda Accord and Toyota Camry - nuff said...

Gary

Purely ignorant !!

Popularity doesn't make any product BETTER than another.

Idiots like this are the part of the reason american car companies are in trouble.

The big 3 have made huge strides in the last 10 years to improve quality, market share, and perception.

So, genius, tell me, how do the fine people over at MotorTrend write this then ?

For the first time in 12 years, Lexus has to share its perch atop the J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Vehicle Dependability Study with Buick. Both brands scored 145 problems per 100 vehicles (PP100), which is based on data from surveys of more than 53,000 original owners of 2004 model year vehicles. The next three runners up were Cadillac, Mercury, and Honda, with ratings of 162, 168, and 169 PP100 respectively.

Seems to me that 3 out of the top 5 are WHAT ? AMERICAN....

Get your head outta your A$$, and smell the crap your shoveling.

It sounds like you have yourself talked into the lies that you spew. There is nothing wrong with AMERICAN, other than idiots that think jap crap is better....................

THATgirl

I agree with Chris at GraphiXtreme, the service usually does suck at the large stores.
as for you gpd123, maybe you should get your head outta your ass. Most American auto companies got smart and a lot of their parts are Japanese which is probably why they are getting better! So you aren't really only truly buying 'American' Fords are made in Canada and Mexico. The trick is to not buy a car on Monday. Then you should be ok.

Last edited:

Flame

It sounds like you have yourself talked into the lies that you spew. There is nothing wrong with AMERICAN, other than idiots that think jap crap is better....................

Um.... let me guess. Somewhere, right below your hairline, on the back of your neck...... your skin is bright RED.

threeputt

Gpd, are you capable of writing a reply without ad hominem rebukes? Just wondering. You know, it's those kinds of incendiary responses that gets these kinds of threads locked down.

I for one, kind of like these threads because it's a pleasant diversion from the daily grind. What I don't like is the personal attacks. Why don't you state your opinion, and let it go at that? If it has merit, it can stand alone.

Most American auto companies got smart and a lot of their parts are Japanese

No they are not. Japan buys sources an equal percentage of components in China, and throughout Asia.

Here are some thoughts and facts to ponder....
- The US is still considered number one for research and development.
- Even though a great deal of electrical components originate in Taiwan and Korea, AMERICAN assembled electronics are considered to be better in the world marketplace.
- Japan was rebuilt by the US with reparation money after WWII.
- US manufacturers started building plants and transferring theory technology to countries such as China and Japan in the early 1970's .... to avoid paying US taxes and wages.

-TRW, Catepillar, Cummins, John Deere are all well known US companies that have been manufacturing in China since 1977.

The moral to all of the above is that American CEO's have sold out the American worker and citizen...all in the name of profit. Honda's and Toyota's are NOT superior, just more popular by once being the most affordable.

threeputt

Regarding "American" vehicles. Consider this:

Ford makes some of their stuff in Korea and Mexico. General Motors is producing some vehicles in Canada, and has been for some time. Toyota (the foreign car maker) is now making all the vehicles they sell in America, here in America. (most plants are in the Southeast) Even Tundra is now made here, with American labor.

So....let's see. Who really is the "American" car maker?

threeputt

ProSigns, you seem to have some business knowlege and some historical perspectives. But the thing you say about American CEO's selling out the American worker should be balanced with this thought.

American CEO's have but one mission. And that is to pay stockholders (read, owners) the highest possible return on their money. To do otherwise is fiscally irresponsible and a dereliction of their duty.

If you believe in a capitalistic society, then you know this: If you decide as a CEO to take the "moral highground" and say you won't look for less expensive materials, parts, labor, etc. anywhere outside of America, then sure as you're living, you're dying. Because your competition will!

Say you're head of Ford and you don't try to lower your costs of production, stockholders will have your head on a pike.

I've tried to state this before, like it or not, we buy and sell in a global context. Try and think globally.

American CEO's have but one mission. And that is to pay stockholders (read, owners) the highest possible return on their money.

You are correct from that perspective, with the exception that they would not be carrying out their mission if there was not something big in it for them.

My problem is not with the global economy, but rather the "buy American" lies that these CEO's fed this country for almost three decades, selling their product under the pretense that the public was helping he American worker. To make it worse, when layoffs came, these very same CEO's would blame the buying American public.

As for the global economy and competition, it really is not. It more like global evolution and advancement. We still are number one, and will remain so for some time yet, BUT of we sit on our butts and do not think in innovative ways (out of the box) we will suffer the same fate that England suffered from us - more proof that it is not the end of the world.

I chimed in due to the comparison of the Japanese and American automobile manufacturers. That comparison is the most misunderstood comparison ever.

Jon Aston

There was actually a time when a CEO's role was to build long-term value for the company's shareholders, rather than cater to unrealistic and unsustainable expectations of get-rich-quick speculators. Those days are all-but-gone, unfortunately.

And I agree...the key words in that sign are "...where you shop". Saving a buck today will cost you something down the line. Fewer choices would be one, which seems awfully un-American to me (and un-Canadian, BTW). Here's another: Ma and Pa tend to buy signs locally. How many of you have taken orders from WalMart, or Home Depot, or Starbucks (or whatever) recently?