• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Acceptable size for banner

bpp

I have a job for 30 3x6 banners with hem and grommets. My question is can I print on a 38" roll and between the registration marks, margin of the printer and the hem I'm left with less then 35"? I know signs365 can take off .25" on all sides which is less then this. What is industry standard?

ikarasu

You're asking if you can produce 35" banners when the client asked and paid for 36?

No.... The client ordered 36, and should get 36. Now nothing is stopping you from asking if the client will accept 35.... But banner is so cheap, the diff between a 38" roll and a 54" roll is probably $30.

Personally I'd print it 36, centered and use 1" from each side as a hem. Then the only cutting you have to do is between banners. Or just use a 54" roll and waste the ft of unprinted area if you're using some sort of cutter to cut them down.

bpp

That's what I did I used a 54" roll. I'm cutting it down on my colex. I would think the rolls would be made for 36"....

ikarasu

Honestly the customer would probably never care of you mention / be upfront about it.

I'd never just do it though.... Because you may get away with it 9/10 times, but one time the customer will be blocking something that's 36" and that 1 " will be a painful redo.

38" rolls are made for 36 - we print centered on them.... Then 1" fold over at the edges for Hemming, then there's no cutting at all except width wise every 6 ft. Probably be faster that way than using a colex

unclebun

The standard always was the stated size was the unfinished size. Hemming reduced that by 2" each way. (1" for each hem).

That said, you can make a banner that measures 36" after hemming using a 38" roll of material. The backside of the hem doesn't need printing on it, and you can print 37" of a 38" roll easily. Center the print on the material, make a 1" hem and that's it. The bleed will go 1/2" onto the backside of the hem.

I have no idea why you are printing registration marks for a banner. They are totally unnecessary.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
That's what I did I used a 54" roll. I'm cutting it down on my colex. I would think the rolls would be made for 36"....

That is exactly why they make 38" rolls. You need no registration marks or at most if a white background then a single thin line on the short ends. Adding a very thin line is actually how I'd set the job (regardless of the background) up just to ease cutting them apart. So I'd take the artwork, add a white 74" box perfectly centered underneath with a thin stroke then print centered with 0 spacing between.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do you guys stand and argue with a salesperson at Home Depot when you order 2" x 4" x 96" pieces of lumber, too ??

• Agree
Reactions: bob

gnubler

I've had customers want to order banners with dimensions including 1/4's of an inch, so it will fit or cover something "perfectly".
I tell them no can do, it's a flexible/pliable material and that I'll be within one inch of their request.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I have no idea why you are printing registration marks for a banner. They are totally unnecessary.

We do most of the time, our flatbed cutter can cut banners faster and more accurately than a person can.

In this case though, center 36" banner on 38" media and call it a day. No marks needed, just cut it off the roll and fold your 1" on each side in.

BigNate

Do you guys stand and argue with a salesperson at Home Depot when you order 2" x 4" x 96" pieces of lumber, too ??
Dang! Gino is right... just got back from HD and not a single 2x4 measured 2"x4"!!! If you make a banner to small, just scale your ruler to a standard 2x4 board - then convince the customer that the 2x4 is the most common piece of dimensional lumber and as such should be a valid measuring device..... (okay, I do know they were originally designed to be rough cut to 2"x4" and then finished... but now they don't waste as much be roughing to to a full 2"x4", just the minimum they need to make the final undersized "2x4")

JBurton

Signtologist
Yes, and ya know what, 3/4 of the employees would agree with someone making that argument, because they don't know a damn thing about construction anyways.

Rmurray321

I use a 38” roll and just use trim marks on the feed side and adjust rollers to account for an even inch on each side

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I actually have an old artist easel made in the late 1800s and the wood used was really a true 2" × 4".

What would help, would be to set your policies up front. These are things called 'industry standards'. Anyone here, whoever ordered banners from fellers, would always get the spiel about what the banner would really finish to. YOU set your standards and if they need a specific size, it simply will cost more.

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
I've had customers want to order banners with dimensions including 1/4's of an inch, so it will fit or cover something "perfectly".
I tell them no can do, it's a flexible/pliable material and that I'll be within one inch of their request.
The banner vinyl will shrink a 1/4" over the course of a year in the sun, maybe more.