• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Acceptable size for banner

Stacey K

I like making signs
This is what I do...I have to trim by hand, no machine to do it for me.

1.jpg

Superior_Adam

38" roll and we print 36" banner all day on it. I can say on that qty I outsource them and spend my time doing other things. I can get banner at $1.15/ft finished with hem and grommets so to me it is not worth doing that qty in house.

Eforcer

I have a job for 30 3x6 banners with hem and grommets. My question is can I print on a 38" roll and between the registration marks, margin of the printer and the hem I'm left with less then 35"? I know signs365 can take off .25" on all sides which is less then this. What is industry standard?
IMO Clients have never ever checked size. They want it when they need it. I've only been printing banners in-house since 08' We don't hem, we use banner tape. We bleed top & bottom sides get reinforce, unless client will be hanging them from a pole to pole, then we do all 4 sides. Or outsource for sewing all sides.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Just like with lumber, it's called 'nominal size'. Nominal because that's what it's called, which may or may not have anything to do with what it is. As far as printing a fold line, don't, it's a bit amateurish to print anything on the face of a banner that isn't part of the copy. When you finish the banner place it face down and use a 2" wide drywall rule [they're pretty much all 2" wide] to scribe lines 2" from all four edges, and fold back to that line.

bpp

Do you place your own fiducial or use Onyx, Flexi, Etc?
I have Onyx which don't think you can do something like that. I started now with Printfactory, I'll need to look into if I can do that. What are you suggesting, add it in the back of the hem and make the hem without bleed?

gnubler

You don't even have to do that. When you apply the 1" wide banner tape at the edge, the tape forms your fold line.
I always draw a line when I have to tape banners by hand. Every time I tried it without a line to follow my hem started skewing.

unclebun

I guess for me it was always having the "eye". Like being able to paint a straight line or cut a straight line with knife or scissors. Or seeing center and level. My employee is the same.

bpp

Honestly the customer would probably never care of you mention / be upfront about it.

I'd never just do it though.... Because you may get away with it 9/10 times, but one time the customer will be blocking something that's 36" and that 1 " will be a painful redo.

38" rolls are made for 36 - we print centered on them.... Then 1" fold over at the edges for Hemming, then there's no cutting at all except width wise every 6 ft. Probably be faster that way than using a colex
Took 15 minutes for full 150 foot roll, no labor, perfect cut on the colex. I don't see how it can be easier or faster by hand

Christian @ 2CT Media

I have Onyx which don't think you can do something like that. I started now with Printfactory, I'll need to look into if I can do that. What are you suggesting, add it in the back of the hem and make the hem without bleed?
You could manually place your fiducial in corel or adobe. Then make two copies of the file a print file with no cut or scan lines and the cut file with no print image.

Print the print file, and send the cut file through colex

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I don't get the point of a line, you already have one with the edge of the banner. Pull it like a stripe and plop it down.

ikarasu

You guys are your Nominal sizing crack me up.

If you bought a 4x8 piece of acyrlic and it came in 47 x 95" from 1 supplier, but all other suppliers it came in 48 x 96 for the same price.... Who would you buy from? Nominal sizing isn't a standard in our industry... 2x4s and other wood it is because they refer to the pre-finished size.

I really, really doubt the customer would care about a 36" Banner being 35"... But it's something we'd point out during the sales call... not something we just decide to do during production and hope they dont care.

It's like Reflective 4x8s... we know reflective vinyl comes in 48", so 9 out of 10 times you dont have enough space to do a full color print - So when someone buys a reflective 4x8... We tell them it'll be 47.5" x 96".... 9/10 times the customer doesnt care, but we have had some people opt for non reflective because they needed an exact 48".

It never hurts to be accurate with a customer....

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I have a job for 30 3x6 banners with hem and grommets. My question is can I print on a 38" roll and between the registration marks, margin of the printer and the hem I'm left with less then 35"? I know signs365 can take off .25" on all sides which is less then this. What is industry standard?
Can you print a 36x72" banner on 38" material? Of course you can. Just set the side margins at 1/2" and don't trim those sides. 1" hem on each side and it's 36".

Stacey K

I like making signs
I don't get the point of a line, you already have one with the edge of the banner. Pull it like a stripe and plop it down.
As I think about it, it does seem a bit much LOL

One of the first banners I printed was around 38" wide and 2' tall. It was one word...FREE on a white banner. I printed it and it's just a word on 54" material, so I had to measure where the edges were based on the word being centered - waste of time. After that I made some templates for the common sizes with the bleed/cut line and fold line. IDK, I did it and it just stuck LOL

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
If I have a white banner I'll add a thin light gray stroke around it for a fold line. Just saves me the step of measuring and marking two inches on the back. It's an easy shortcut.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
If I have a white banner I'll add a thin light gray stroke around it for a fold line. Just saves me the step of measuring and marking two inches on the back. It's an easy shortcut.
Put your tape on the outer edge, it's faster and easier to get it precise.

ikarasu

I have Onyx setup to put a dotted line at the edge of the print, and then another dotted line with one inch of bleed past that edge of the print.

It makes cutting and folding so much quicker..

If we were doing a 36-in print on a 38-in roll we probably won't have any lines. The back ham does have a line you can somewhat see if you're looking, but with it being dotted and so spread apart it's not really noticeable plus when you fold ,your folding right on the line so it ends up in the crease