• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Acceptable size for banner

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Put your tape on the outer edge, it's faster and easier to get it precise.
It's easier and faster and more precise to have a line to fold on. It takes me 2.3 seconds to add that line in photoshop when I'm prepping the file. I like Ikarasu's method of doing it in onyx - I'll have to look into that. I like to add grommet marks in onyx too - so I don't have to measure that either.

Stacey K

I like making signs
It's easier and faster and more precise to have a line to fold on. It takes me 2.3 seconds to add that line in photoshop when I'm prepping the file. I like Ikarasu's method of doing it in onyx - I'll have to look into that. I like to add grommet marks in onyx too - so I don't have to measure that either.
I agree. I have templates so I just open '2x4 banner', add the artwork and print. I have a cutline and a fold line. Just seems easier from start to finish. Must be the difference between men and women LOL

ikarasu

It's easy in onyx. We have a quickset setup to ahtonadd 1" of bleed - auto add a fold line at the edge of the print, and auto add a fold line at the edge of the 1" bleed (mirrored) And add grommets every 24".

Now you just load your artwork with no crop marks / bleed, and everything is auto generated for you. Doesn't matter if you throw in a 24 x 36 banner or a 48 x 240" banner.

Onyx quicksets are awesome... You can automate most of your workflow / file prep very quickly. Especially for banners and canvas and stuff, where you need specific bleed

White Haus

Not a Newbie
It's easy in onyx. We have a quickset setup to ahtonadd 1" of bleed - auto add a fold line at the edge of the print, and auto add a fold line at the edge of the 1" bleed (mirrored) And add grommets every 24".

Now you just load your artwork with no crop marks / bleed, and everything is auto generated for you. Doesn't matter if you throw in a 24 x 36 banner or a 48 x 240" banner.

Ony quicksets are awesome... You can automate most of your workflow / file prep.
Yeah quicksets are great. We've got one similar to yours.

One issue I find is that a lot of times (even our in-house generated files) PDF's have a hairline white margin around the print file, which ends up being included in the Onyx-generated bleed.

Have you come across this/found a workaround?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Faster in Lady time maybe. Just like a woman's real quick story.

ikarasu

One issue I find is that a lot of times (even our in-house generated files) PDF's have a hairline white margin around the print file, which ends up being included in the Onyx-generated bleed.

We've ran across that too. Usually in our images for canvas.... Our pdf files we resize the art board to fit the graphics (there's a hotkey you can setup) to match the graphics and we never have white - the edge of images people send us for canvas sometimes does..... We usually just crop a hair of the image away when we run into it.

Theoretically you could make it so your quicksets always crop a mm or so off of each side of the image before it adds bleed if you run into it a lot.... Should get rid of the white , and be such a small amount removed it wouldn't affect your output.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We've ran across that too. Usually in our images for canvas.... Our pdf files we resize the art board to fit the graphics (there's a hotkey you can setup) to match the graphics and we never have white - the edge of images people send us for canvas sometimes does..... We usually just crop a hair of the image away when we run into it.

Theoretically you could make it so your quicksets always crop a mm or so off of each side of the image before it adds bleed if you run into it a lot.... Should get rid of the white , and be such a small amount removed it wouldn't affect your output.

Good call - I'll have to give that a shot. I find it's mostly Corel-built PDF's that always have a .05 margin or so, have never figured out how to eliminate that. I'll have to do some experimenting.

Gettin'By

We use acrobat and Pitstop to prep files, so if I have an issue like that I upscale the art (but not page boxes) by 0.5% and then create the bleed from there.

I find it's mostly Corel-built PDF's that always have a .05 margin or so, have never figured out how to eliminate that. I'll have to do some experimenting.
I'm not familiar with Corel, but can you tell it to use a negative value for the margin to eleminate it?