• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe's new pricing strategy

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
"In order to qualify for upgrade pricing when CS6 releases, customers will need to be on the latest version of our software (either CS5 or CS5.5 editions)"

So if you have cs4 or older when cs6 comes out, you MUST pay full price for cs6 or pay the subscription fee

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
:blueboy:
I can see an interesting small business opportunity here doing legacy saves for a huge market that primarily buys Adobe upgrades so they can open incoming files from clients.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
:blueboy:
I can see an interesting small business opportunity here doing legacy saves for a huge market that primarily buys Adobe upgrades so they can open incoming files from clients.

Its an exciting idea, Fred...

...but I can also see Adobe "fixing" the Save-Down-To-Earlier-Versions functionality.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Its an exciting idea, Fred...

...but I can also see Adobe "fixing" the Save-Down-To-Earlier-Versions functionality.

That would, IMHO, be so heavy-handed a reaction as to cause a rebellion among the base, boycotts, class-action lawsuits and government anti-trust actions for restraint of trade. For example, there are millions of individuals and companies involved in creating and selling digital art through sites like iStock, Dreamstime, Shutterstock etc. that would not be able to meet the submission requirements of those vendors. Services like The Vector Doctor would not be able to ever upgrade their primary software.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
That would, IMHO, be so heavy-handed a reaction as to cause a rebellion among the base, boycotts, class-action lawsuits and government anti-trust actions for restraint of trade. For example, there are millions of individuals and companies involved in creating and selling digital art through sites like iStock, Dreamstime, Shutterstock etc. that would not be able to meet the submission requirements of those vendors. Services like The Vector Doctor would not be able to ever upgrade their primary software.

Oh, no... of course, it would not be blatant. Think passive aggressive. Think unreliable down-saving. Think corrupt files 10% of the time. Think "oops".

Adobe: "We are committed to our customers and providing the best user experience. We are working hard to remedy shortcomings some users experience." --> translates to "We will issue a patch when we're darn good and ready -- like maybe just before the next major release, in which the down-saving will be sort-of broken again"

Yes, I'm a cynic. Cynics are never disappointed.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
either way it is like a subscription. If you buy the latest and greatest either by desire or necessity you must upgrade to avoid the steep price increases

paul luszcz

For the first time in 18 years, we are running multiple versions of any software; CS2 and CS5 Suites. CS2 doesn't run on our newest Macs and CS5 doesn't run on our oldest Macs. The cost of a new Mac to replace the old is less than the cost to upgrade the software.

Without back saving, you would be forced to buy new computers. That's a little harsh, even for the Adobe/Apple dogfight.

Last edited:

MikePro

i'm in no rush, CS3 works just fine here at the shop and I have yet to have a client send me CS5 files (even though I have it on my laptop, thanks to student discount software!)

Malkin

We upgrade pretty infrequently, but I knew that we had to go from CS2 to CS5 this year in order to be able to upgrade without purchasing the full version again. Looks like it was just in time, but dang that bites.

SignManiac

I don't see a problem. Everyone knows that Adobe products and their users are superior and command a higher price for their exceptional design abilities. They will have no problem purchasing the upgrades at any price. Drive the Mercedes, pay the Mercedes prices.

Flame

I don't see a problem. Everyone knows that Adobe products and their users are superior and command a higher price for their exceptional design abilities. They will have no problem purchasing the upgrades at any price. Drive the Mercedes, pay the Mercedes prices.

Then comes the day when the Mercedes driver gets passed by some Mazda driver at 120MPH. And before he figures out what happens, he's outta sight.

Mark my words, this is only going to help Corel sales. I respect both Adobe and Corels products, I choose Corel for lower price, ease of use, stability and no frills/get the job done tools.