• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe's new pricing strategy

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Export an EPS out of CorelDRAW and then try to import the result back into CorelDRAW. Most of the time it will tell you it isn't an EPS file.

This is a large part of why I have never liked nor spent much time in Corel.

Hmmmm... what version were you doing that with?

I've done this occasionally from time to time just to make sure I had a usable EPS file and never had that problem.

Charlie J

I recently had the differences between CorelDRAW and Illustrator terminology become painfully clear in trying to help a client better prepare his CDR files for submission. It was not unlike what one would imagine a conversation between a Cockney Englishman and a native of the U.S. Deep South. The same language ... but different words and accents.

I used the term "stroke" only to find out that he had no idea what a stroke was. It turns out that in Corel terminology, what I call a stroke is called an "outline". And what I call an outline, in Corel is called a contour. And what I call a contour ... well you get the idea. A layer in any other program is called an object in PhotoPaint. An object in any other program is ARRRRRGGG I can't stand it!

Export an EPS out of CorelDRAW and then try to import the result back into CorelDRAW. Most of the time it will tell you it isn't an EPS file.

:goodpost:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Hmmmm... what version were you doing that with?

I've done this occasionally from time to time just to make sure I had a usable EPS file and never had that problem.

I've done it in both CorelDRAW 8 annd X3. FWIW, you can also get the same result with FlexiSign Pro ... any version I've tried. These same error producing files open without issue in Illustrator and, once resaved in Illustrator, will then open without complaint in Corel and Flexi.

signage

Fred never had that problem! maybe it is an Adobe issue keeping Corel from working correctly!

Ditch Adobe and try it:)

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Like it or not...I think it's all headed for the CLOUD...sooner or later.

Get this: I was talking with a guy at a machine shop today and he said that as long as their Haas CNC machining center is on lease (with a buyout at the end of the lease), they have to frequently call in to get an access code in order to keep the machine running. In a nutshell, if you miss a machine payment, they have the power to shut down your business almost instantly. Imagine that!

That kinda stuff could be headed our way.

JB

TheSnowman

I've had my CS2 since I bought my company. I'd like to upgrade at some point I suppose, but from where I'm at now, it doesn't serve a purpose. Nice to know now that if I want to, that I'm starting over again.

Good work jammin everyone in the pooper Adobe...but, give the person that came up w/ that plan a raise...on Adobe's part, that's an amazing win.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Just got off an online chat with an Adobe rep:

Please hold as we route your chat to an Adobe Representative.

Welcome to Adobe.com! My name is Robert. May I assist you with your selection today?

Robert: Hi, How are you doing today?

Robert: I haven't heard from you in a while. Would you like to continue chatting?

Jim: fine

Jim: how long is the 20% off upgrade CS5 Photoshop

Jim: When does it end?

Robert: It is valid till 31 December, 2011.

Jim: After Dec. 31, how many versions back can be upgraded to the next version?

Robert: You can upgrade from CS2 and higher versions.

Robert: Which version of Photoshop do you own currently?

Jim: I currently own CS2. But after Dec. 31, 2011 will it only be CS5 and later, correct?

Robert: No, that's not right.

Jim: I read something about the new upgrading procedure...can you clarify how it works, or point me to a link?

Robert: Jim, there is no new upgrade policy is released.

Robert: You can upgrade from any last 3 versions.

Jim: I'm on a forum and today there was a post with this link: http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-57...?tag=cnetRiver about some new policy. Not sure if it's correct or not.

Robert: Jim, that was not announced by Adobe, please ignore that post.

Jim: Ok...gotta go, thank you.

Not sure if this helps or not....perhaps we should all get on their chat and do some asking...like one of those "Occupy" movements...hey...we could go viral! Just so long as we don't get Fred in some sort of trouble...what do you think? Can't hurt to chat...and then post your results.

This forum kinda gives a whole new meaning to the "this call may be monitored for quality assurance" disclaimer.

BTW...20% off CS5 till Dec. 31, 2011 is here: http://www.adobe.com/cart.html

PS...after looking at the date of Dec. 31, 2011, I now relize that was the upgrade date....not the new release date of CS6. I should have asked him what happens after the arrivel of CS6:doh:

JB

Last edited:

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Somewhat easy way to deal with the pricing structure: Those of you with school age children...HS...College...even Teachers. Purchase the Student editions and register them personally. They are fully legal copies of the software and cost less.

signmeup

I recently had the differences between CorelDRAW and Illustrator terminology become painfully clear in trying to help a client better prepare his CDR files for submission. It was not unlike what one would imagine a conversation between a Cockney Englishman and a native of the U.S. Deep South. The same language ... but different words and accents.

I used the term "stroke" only to find out that he had no idea what a stroke was.
It turns out that in Corel terminology, what I call a stroke is called an "outline". And what I call an outline, in Corel is called a contour. And what I call a contour ... well you get the idea. A layer in any other program is called an object in PhotoPaint. An object in any other program is ARRRRRGGG I can't stand it!

Give a child a crayon and tell it to put a stroke on something in it's colouring book. Then tell it to put an outline on something in it's colouring book. I bet it that child can outline pretty well but I doubt it has any idea what to do when instructed to stroke something with a crayon. I think you'll end up with coloured wax on the cat.

ProWraps

Attachments

• beavis.jpeg
    beavis.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 84

JoshLoring

Crazy but smart if they go this route. Doesn't matter to me either way. We upgrade every new release.
Cs5.5 masters collection here and it's awesome for everything from web to design. Now just need to learn more after effects haha.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Give a child a crayon and tell it to put a stroke on something in it's colouring book. Then tell it to put an outline on something in it's colouring book. I bet it that child can outline pretty well but I doubt it has any idea what to do when instructed to stroke something with a crayon. I think you'll end up with coloured wax on the cat.

My issue is not how to have productive communications with children. Rather it is how to have productive communications with clients and their designers who submit files to me for production. Attached are the "stroke" palettes from Adobe Illustrator, Gerber Omega and FlexiSign Pro along with the "outline" flyout from CorelDRAW.

I submit that the difference in terminology serves no useful purpose and works against professionals using different applications to communicate productively. I rest my case.

Attachments

• stroke-ill.jpg
    stroke-ill.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 76
  • stroke-Om.jpg
    stroke-Om.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 84
  • stroke-flexi.jpg
    stroke-flexi.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 88
  • stroke-cdr.jpg
    stroke-cdr.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 80

ellsmako

For portraits I have been using Portrait Professional instead of photoshop and for many applications its far superior, That said Adobe products are great but how many people remember Live Picture ( was wonderful but unbelievably expensive )

signmeup

My issue is not how to have productive communications with children. Rather it is how to have productive communications with clients and their designers who submit files to me for production. Attached are the "stroke" palettes from Adobe Illustrator, Gerber Omega and FlexiSign Pro along with the "outline" flyout from CorelDRAW.

I submit that the difference in terminology serves no useful purpose and works against professionals using different applications to communicate productively. I rest my case.
I submit that erroneous terminology serves no useful purpose and works against professionals using different applications to communicate productively.

You can stroke a cat, stroke your beard, pull on an oar (stroke, stroke, stroke), take a stroke off your golf game, perform a stroke of the pen.... you can even have a stroke, but a stroke is not an outline. That a few companies have copied Adobe's bizarre lingo does not make it correct.

How did you explain to your client what a "stroke" was? Did you say "it's an outline" ?

Don't even get me started on "describe a path". :Big Laugh

Last edited: