• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe's new pricing strategy

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I seen no problem with this policy if they ease people into it... like making CS6 (and maybe 7) transitional so it gives legacy customers time to catch up. But this seems like a bad move.

I don't see many designers switching to Corel anytime soon because the cost of learning a new software would be way more than the inconvenience of re-purchasing the software at full price. Then they do not make a Mac version either. I have the latest Corel, I would imagine to get my Corel skills up to the point where my Illustrator skills are would take a couple of months, and since I need specific tools that Corel does not have (multiple scales, layer controls) it would be worth it to take the hit and upgrade to CS6 if I was not current. I guess if there was a software that I had to choose, it would be Autocad since most of my work right now is architectural signage.

I'm still using CS3. I have my unopened box of CS5 sitting under my desk. Too much going on I guess. I better load it up and register it just in case.

Locals Find!

is there a big difference between corel and adobe? i've only ever used adobe, but heard that crel is pretty awesome to use.

I have the corel draw x4 suite and the adobe cs2 suite. I like corel draw for making sign layouts. Its seems to be a lot more intuitive. Granted what I do is very simple stuff. It just seems to be easier to do in corel. I can also use it for making design online templates for zetaprints.com.

If you can afford it having both is not a bad thing at all. I find myself switching between them pretty often depending on the task.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I seen no problem with this policy if they ease people into it... like making CS6 (and maybe 7) transitional so it gives legacy customers time to catch up. But this seems like a bad move.

I don't see many designers switching to Corel anytime soon because the cost of learning a new software would be way more than the inconvenience of re-purchasing the software at full price. Then they do not make a Mac version either. I have the latest Corel, I would imagine to get my Corel skills up to the point where my Illustrator skills are would take a couple of months, and since I need specific tools that Corel does not have (multiple scales, layer controls) it would be worth it to take the hit and upgrade to CS6 if I was not current. I guess if there was a software that I had to choose, it would be Autocad since most of my work right now is architectural signage.

I'm still using CS3. I have my unopened box of CS5 sitting under my desk. Too much going on I guess. I better load it up and register it just in case.

I believe they are offering the cs5.5 upgrade at a 20% discount to get people ready and ease the pain FWIW. For anyone that is on the fence it makes sense now. Full pricing is steep

genericname

I don't see many designers switching to Corel anytime soon because the cost of learning a new software would be way more than the inconvenience of re-purchasing the software at full price.

That's what they said about Quark too, when Adobe first released InDesign. I don't see a switch to Corel mind you, but probably a new start-up . Either way, Adobe could learn a lesson from what they themselves taught the industry.

Rick

Yeah I got a postcard about that a few weeks ago. I just found out about this upgrade thing on this thread, I don't think every Adobe user knows this. It would in Adobe's best interest to give long time users time to adjust.

Rick

That's what they said about Quark too, when Adobe first released InDesign. I don't see a switch to Corel mind you, but probably a new start-up . Either way, Adobe could learn a lesson from what they themselves taught the industry.

Yeah but the later versions of Quark sucked. People switched to InDesign because Quark ended up being a bloated crash-fest with crappy .pdf support and garbled legacy file support. It plain ol' didn't work.... I still have not had the nerve to chuck all my upgrades and original box of Quark, but after watching Hoarders a few nights ago, I may have to this year.

Adobe programs work, they are not being cool about upgrades.

signguy 55

I had a post last week asking if Corel Photo Paint and Adobe Photoshop were basically equal. Seems the jury is still out on that. But any company that forces you to upgrade, man why does the paying public put up with that crap?

There are features that the average user will NEVER use. If you're a school or college and can get discounts is one thing, but to go through an upgrade about once a year, and be forced to do it is insane, especially for a small business owner.

By the way, any of you old timers down here in Georgia, we're all mourning the passing of Larry Munson, voice of the "Dawgs" on the radio for many years. I spent many a Saturday afternoon with the TV sound off and the radio on to listen to him.

For those of you who have never heard him, click on some You Tube videos. There will never be another one like him.

genericname

People switched to InDesign because Quark ended up being a bloated crash-fest with crappy .pdf support and garbled legacy file support.

Still fine for PDFs, but I find Adobe's programs are starting to get pretty damn bloated. And if they're limiting upgrade ability, then they will be screwing around with legacy file support, even if it's retroactively.

Adobe just laid off a ton of people, and of those that don't immediately walk down the street to the Corel building, I'm sure a few are willing to start up something, once their non-compete clauses are up.

Far as I'm concerned, Adobe's programs are currently the best at what they do. But man oh man am I awaiting the day when a competitor comes along and surprises them by snatching market share with a superior product.

ProWraps

just bought my ps5 upgrade for $159. already upgraded to il5 for $199 a while ago.

good price for the upgrade ($159).

CES020

So what? What are we talking? An update once a year? What's the upgrade from CS4 to CS5 on Design Premium, $800? So you don't spend $800 a year for tools to do the jobs that make you money? Seems cheap to me. Just a cost of doing business.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
So what? What are we talking? An update once a year? What's the upgrade from CS4 to CS5 on Design Premium, $800? So you don't spend $800 a year for tools to do the jobs that make you money? Seems cheap to me. Just a cost of doing business.

But not everyone NEEDS to upgrade every year. If you don't you are now being penalized. Does this mean they come up with updates (err bug fixes) and feature bloat more often and force everyone to pay? I can understand someone who is back on cs1 or cs2 should pay more but cs4 users? With this plan you cannot skip or you pay even more

Look I already have cs5.5 and with my business it is almost a requirement to upgrade but I hate to see Adobe shoot themselves in the foot here. I usually skip every other version but I don't think I can now

anotherdog

Okay a handfull of the new features are nice, but frankly when I paid to upgrade to CS5 I felt cheated. (not as cheated as I did a few months later when that blatant cash grab 5.5 came out).
99.9% of what I use was done in CS2, all I gained was more stability in .pdf files.
Not to mention I had to upgrade my design computers twice just to run the behemoth.

On one side I agree, it is a very important tool in my business and far cheaper than many other overheads, however it is apparent adobe pricing is more about what the addicts can afford than what's best for its customers.

Oh and a postscript to this; the subscription is far cheaper than the thinkstock subscription I pay for for royalty free images.

SignManiac

Adobe will not suffer. Too many loyal fans with too much invested in their product knowledge as Rick stated earlier. But...They will pizz off a bunch of their customer base. People have short memories and won't remember being upset over it for too long.

CES020

Go to their forums and complain. That's the only way it's going to change. If enough customers publicly voice their opinions, they will back off. Otherwise, staying silent will send the message that their customers are fine with it.

Flame

Adobe will not suffer. Too many loyal fans with too much invested in their product knowledge as Rick stated earlier.

Betchya Macromedia thought that too.

I don't think Adobe is going anywhere, but I bet a dollar in a donut hole that they'll take a hit for this. I'll see if I can buy a lil Corel stock, just in case I'm right ;)

SignManiac

Flame you're right on Macromedia. I remember another company who started up in 1982 and thought they were invincible. I remember buying font modules for $300 each and being told tuff luck, we're the best! Well I don't hear their name coming up very much any more. Complacency kills!

MatthewTimothy

normal adobe cycle is 12-18 months an update. I only get the design standard, but it cost me 279.00. I upgrade software every other year to save on cost. Every year is really not needed.

signage

This sound like the Bently Systems Microstation vs AutoCadd! Flame you may be right on getting some Corel stock!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I recently had the differences between CorelDRAW and Illustrator terminology become painfully clear in trying to help a client better prepare his CDR files for submission. It was not unlike what one would imagine a conversation between a Cockney Englishman and a native of the U.S. Deep South. The same language ... but different words and accents.

I used the term "stroke" only to find out that he had no idea what a stroke was. It turns out that in Corel terminology, what I call a stroke is called an "outline". And what I call an outline, in Corel is called a contour. And what I call a contour ... well you get the idea. A layer in any other program is called an object in PhotoPaint. An object in any other program is ARRRRRGGG I can't stand it!

Export an EPS out of CorelDRAW and then try to import the result back into CorelDRAW. Most of the time it will tell you it isn't an EPS file.

This is a large part of why I have never liked nor spent much time in Corel.