• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe's new pricing strategy

CentralSigns

I posed the upgrade question to a Adobe rep on a chat line in the sales site and he said nothing was going to change from the way things are now.

CES020

I posed the upgrade question to a Adobe rep on a chat line in the sales site and he said nothing was going to change from the way things are now.

Read my post above, it's a link to a blog on adobe's site by a Senior Vice President. He's the one that said it. It may not be policy down to the people that answer the phone, but it appears to be coming, according to their own SVP.

Locals Find!

Read my post above, it's a link to a blog on adobe's site by a Senior Vice President. He's the one that said it. It may not be policy down to the people that answer the phone, but it appears to be coming, according to their own SVP.

Why wouldn't they tell the Sales Reps and encourage more closed sales??

WildWestDesigns

Always the last to know, and the last to have product knowledge implemented. They're probably not even in the same country.

Unfortunately there is a lot of truth to that. Not exactly the best thing to do, nothing turns me off more then when I know more then the person that is handling my sale.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Most Adobe customer service reps are really telemarketers in India. You have to have a particularly advanced problem to get an American on the phone. That's another thing that really gets my temper flaring about these price gouging schemes. Ultimately it's all about making the quarterly report look good and increase the stock price. The executives get fat bonuses from the board of directors. Naturally, the customers take it up the @$$.

CES020

Why wouldn't they tell the Sales Reps and encourage more closed sales??

Because that was a Senior Vice President talking about long term pricing strategy. I'm pretty sure they don't discuss long term pricing strategy with their online chat representatives. For those attempting to talk to Adobe, refer them to the link I posted above and see how they comment.

The people on the phone practice todays policies and procedures, the SVP is talking about things they haven't even rolled out yet.

I'd be curious to see the transcript of an online chat when they read the link. Plus, it doesn't matter what the online or phone rep tell you. They are accountable for nothing. If they tell you something that's not accurate, you have no recourse. You just call back, talk to someone different and they will say "I'm sorry, that's not correct, how can I help you today?". It's not like anyone's going to pull the phone recordings and listen to it and make it right for you.

I've had them tell me my license isn't valid and that I didn't own the software when I was holding the box in my hand, reading the numbers off the actual packaging materials. Call back later, it goes through with no issues.

royster13

Years ago a business mentor told me the best kind of business to be in was one with a recurring revenue stream.....I have spent many years building lines of business that repeat year after year.....

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Has anyone here gone to Adobe's web site to see what the real prices are for creative suite subscriptions. They're freaking sky high.

The $49.99 per month for 1 year subscription price mentioned in the C|Net article about Scott Kelly's open letter applies only to Photoshop Extended. Prices are quite a bit higher for Adobe product suites.

Master Collection costs $129 per month for a 1 year commitment. For one year that is $1536. For 18 months (the typical term of an Adobe CS product cycle) that costs $2322. The full price for Master Collection if you're a first time buyer is $2599.

Design Premium costs $95 per month for one year, a total of $1140. That's more expensive than the price of upgrading an old CS2 or CS3 license to the latest CS5.5 Design Premium suite. 18 months times $95 is $1710. Full price for the suite is $1899.

I'm sure there will be additional costs if you want to have access to the Muse application, tablet goodies, etc. Overall, the "Creative Cloud" thing is a giant rip off.

Techman

Overall, the "Creative Cloud" thing is a giant rip off.

As has been predicted and posted about here many times.
The only alternative is to not participate. There is more than one company who experimented with this and quickly found out it does not fit their idea.

royster13

Politicians and corporations have no power if you hit them where it hurts......Your vote and your money......

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Has anyone here gone to Adobe's web site to see what the real prices are for creative suite subscriptions. They're freaking sky high.

The $49.99 per month for 1 year subscription price mentioned in the C|Net article about Scott Kelly's open letter applies only to Photoshop Extended. Prices are quite a bit higher for Adobe product suites.

Master Collection costs $129 per month for a 1 year commitment. For one year that is $1536. For 18 months (the typical term of an Adobe CS product cycle) that costs $2322. The full price for Master Collection if you're a first time buyer is $2599.

Design Premium costs $95 per month for one year, a total of $1140. That's more expensive than the price of upgrading an old CS2 or CS3 license to the latest CS5.5 Design Premium suite. 18 months times $95 is $1710. Full price for the suite is $1899.

...and when your subscription term is ended, you still don't own the software and can keep using it -- it stops working, right?

Whereas if you buy the software, you "own" it, and can keep using it as long as your computer holds out. It looks like buying the software is actually cheaper than renting it, no?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
...and when your subscription term is ended, you still don't own the software and can keep using it -- it stops working, right?

Whereas if you buy the software, you "own" it, and can keep using it as long as your computer holds out. It looks like buying the software is actually cheaper than renting it, no?

Speaking for myself, I upgraded recently from CS2 to CS5.5. The upgrade was priced at about $600 less than just buying a new suite. The CS2 is installed on two workstations as per the license rights. I spent about 6 weeks worth of my spare time doing tutorials and generally learning the package.

While there are lots of new features, frankly most of them will rarely or never be used in my business. Many of them are, in fact, handled better by third party plugins. Of primary value to me is 1) the ability to open any incoming Illustrator file and 2) the better selection and non-destructive editing in Photoshop. In fact, I'm so impressed with the upgrade that I haven't even bothered to upgrade the second workstation, although I have the right to do so without any cost.

That's just me, of course, and others will see different benefits and improvements. But speaking for myself, I will most likely just wait until the next time I feel compelled to upgrade and just pay for the then current price of what I need and get a new package. I fully expect that I will not suffer any loss by waiting longer than the two or three upgrade cycle I had been on and will offset these increases with fewer purchases.

I see absolutely no cost justification for ever becoming a subscriber.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Here's the original Adobe Blog post and Creative Cloud:
http://blogs.adobe.com/conversation...creative-suite-new-choices-for-customers.html

It says the new pricing will be $49.99 per month for individuals and $69.99 per month per seat for work groups -basically $70 per month for a business that's needing to run the software on more than 1 computer. That gives them access to everything in the Master Collection suite as well as the Edge and Muse beta apps among other things.

This isn't nearly as bad as paying $129 per month, but it is still a little more expensive than buying a retail, boxed upgrade when you add the $50 per month fee over a 18-month to 2 year period.

The subscription pricing plan is much more expensive if you just buy what they call a "perpetual license" software box and sit out a product cycle or two. $600 per year really adds up, especially if the upgrades are very minor in terms of mind blowing new features.

The only advantage I see in this for businesses is the monthly subscription plan may be a better tax write-off than a straight software purchase. The re-occurring monthly fee would be a constant overhead cost instead of something you had to depreciate.

oldgoatroper

The only advantage I see in this for businesses is the monthly subscription plan may be a better tax write-off than a straight software purchase. The re-occurring monthly fee would be a constant overhead cost instead of something you had to depreciate.

I don't see how this is an "advantage". Just a different accounting procedure is all that is necessary. Depreciating by transferring a set monthly amount from a Prepaid Assets-type account into a monthly expenses account can't be any harder for your accounting software or the person running it. No different than handling lump insurance payments and distributing them into monthly expenses.

MikeD

does anyone see anything "fantastic" about CS5.5 in regard to printing signs/decals?
I see some more control over brushes and strokes and perspective drawing in illustrator, but I can't find anything beneficial to printers (aside from Indesign users) that justifies the upgrade. CS5.5 seems to focus on HTML5.5 and mobile device content.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
does anyone see anything "fantastic" about CS5.5 in regard to printing signs/decals?
I see some more control over brushes and strokes and perspective drawing in illustrator, but I can't find anything beneficial to printers (aside from Indesign users) that justifies the upgrade. CS5.5 seems to focus on HTML5.5 and mobile device content.

Are you talking about 5 to 5.5 upgrade? If yes then there is no major difference in Photoshop or Illustrator. Only the mobile content and Indesign were updated

Most of the changes are if you have cs4 or lower

signswi

If you're a printer you should always be at the latest version of Adobe CS, full stop. Annoying customers by making them save down is how you lose customers. Print is way too competitive to risk hassling people over something like that.

oldgoatroper

If you're a printer you should always be at the latest version of Adobe CS, full stop. Annoying customers by making them save down is how you lose customers. Print is way too competitive to risk hassling people over something like that.

Really, if you're a printer, you should be accepting only PDFs...

Anyone who has InDesign and not Acrobat is suspect. We tell customers that it will be at least $60 more if they don't submit a PDF and want to send in a native file (with fonts and images, yada, yada). That gets them very interested in learning how to generate PDFs.

There are a few free PDF generation apps out there and we will help a customer through the process the first time.