• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ahhh ink may be keeping me from buying

S

scarface

Hey everyone, I have been reading and i'm not sure if i will purchase the 300i tomorrow due to the ink stories.

Now I'll be buying the newest versacamm model 300i (if i do) and they used eco sol max inks.

I've been reading about proper ventilation and all and i work out of a small apartment and have been full time for 4 years now so ventilation equipment isn't possible at this time.

On a roland PDF i see this:

VIRTUALLY ODORLESS

Unlike hot solvent ink, Eco-SOL MAX is virtually odorless and safe to use, ensuring a comfortable working environment. No special ventilation
or environmental equipment is required. In addition, Roland inkjet printers and printer/cutters automatically clean their print heads and
require no major user maintenance.

I am thinking long term and a $12,000 machine isn't worth my life but i would really like one but like i said, it isn't worth my life let alone anyone elses who lives around me. The unit can be placed near a window where i can open if needed but pretty much, you guys tell me what would be best.

I also have an apartment as i said and am worrying about my neighbors being effected also.

I have another room i can place it in that i don't go in much but still not sure if that would matter.

I trust your comments.

Thanks!

jasonx

It depends how much printing you do. I have two rolands and if they are both printing together it can be abit on the nose.

Have you got airconditioning in the apartment? If so keep the window slightly opened and the aircon on.

S

scarface

It depends how much printing you do. I have two rolands and if they are both printing together it can be abit on the nose.

Have you got airconditioning in the apartment? If so keep the window slightly opened and the aircon on.

To be honest, with my cutting table with lights above it and moving around alot i tend to keep the AC on frequently.

Heck, i sleep with a fan on low year round lol

as far as how much printing, i can't say exactly but my home based shop is currently cut vinyl and under $50k a year so it's not too busy just yet anyway. I can't see myself doing constant printing though to be honest and by that i mean it's not going to be running daily for 8 hours at a time. I'll be happy if i can run it daily for 2 hours at a time.

iSign

the way I see it, your options are:

1. skip it & sub out prints
  2. buy a safer printer like a thermal printer
  3. go forward with the plan & settle for the marginal protection of windows etc
  4. invest in your future health & increase your budget to play it safe

... #2 is not a fair choice because if you want an inkjet, nothing else really does the same work, so thermal is not really an alternative, it's more of a different tool entirely...

#3 in my opinion is foolish, & #4 would be the only option I would consider, besides not buying a printer... & that's the option I chose 4 years ago when I spent $4K on an "Air Duster" I think it's better than installing a fan & ducting, because you can move it...

Are you leasing the printer (if you get it?) Find out how much your payments would go up to get an Air Duster financed. It might come to less than $100 a month to respect your health & play it safe!

S

scarface

Doug, i am buying the machine outright so there is no extra payments ect

I have outsourced things in the past and honestly i really want to do it hands on myself because it's easier for me to just do it instead of waiting and hoping things turn out the way i like even with reputable wholesalers.

Another big reason is i really want to expand my services and this would be perfect. The machine wouldn't be running non-stop as most shops here. I am very small so if i could have it running for 2-3 hours a day that would be a great accomplishment. In other words, it's not going to run non-stop which would have the fumes in the air heavy IMO

What i can't understand is the roland website states this and that about the MAX inks as if they are alot better than the older ones but yet everyone's saying different.

Thanks, i appreciate the comments!

jasonx

Its still eco solvent. Meaning VOC's are still preset in the air. Not like full solvent though.

I had a SP540 in my lounge room when I first started. I found over the year. I used to cough now and then. I can't say it was the printer. But when we moved in a larger factory location and I wasn't sitting next ot the printer that went away.

If I had the option to vent or air scrub I would take it.

S

scarface

Its still eco solvent. Meaning VOC's are still preset in the air. Not like full solvent though.

I had a SP540 in my lounge room when I first started. I found over the year. I used to cough now and then. I can't say it was the printer. But when we moved in a larger factory location and I wasn't sitting next ot the printer that went away.

If I had the option to vent or air scrub I would take it.

For ventilation even though the Roland ads states non is needed, what if i place it near a cracked window with a fan blowing in the direct of the machine.

Would that even help? Just trying not to crush my business plan but i don't want to end up with a tumor or whatnot because of it.

iSign

finance a ventilation system. I agree about the hassle of outsourcing. you will love the printer & it will inspire you to work harder to keep growing your business.

Just do it right if you're going to do it. I have full solvent, so my ventilation needs are more critical, but you know how people off themselves with car exhaust? I think you need to have the windows shut & stay in there a certain amount of time.. if you only have so many hours of exposure, & some windows open... it's not going to be as successful of a way to die... but it still ain't good for you either.. same with isocyanates... it is deadly for your brain cells & the damage doesn't show before it's too late... it only shows up after it's too late to reverse the effects.

We live in a modern society that knows these things... there is no reason to poison yourself, even 2 hours a day...

S

scarface

Well Doug i'm about 99% convinced NOT to buy one today.

What type of ventilation system could i do myself since i am in a apartment and all.

I can put the unit a foot or 2 away from a open window and have a fan blowing in the direction of the window/printer. I have read on the forums that others do something similar.

If needed i guess i could buy a ventilation system but it would have to be portable since I'm in a apartment on the second floor (below is a washer/dryer store)

I have been reading on old posts that people are using air purifiers also, Any comments?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

beckys

Scarface,
are you even legal to run a signshop out of your apartment??
I really can't see any insurance company insuring you..could be wrong though.
I, after after 15 years of working on a main street, converted my barn to my shop-
I have a Gerber edge. No smells, No drying up ink. etc. Doesn't need a whole lot of space.
I think that would suit you just fine.

gnatt66

i have a vp300i, and i don't think i'd want it in a confined area, to be honest. it can get a bit smelly in my space (12ft ceilings 30x40ish) but not too bad. I'm small potatoes compared to most shops on here so it's not running every day, even. If mine ran all day every day i think the smell would get to me.

i'd either continue subbing it out or get an EDGE.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
if your doing 50K in your apartment, think how much more you'll do with a printer and a small shop......

think big

life is too short, shit or get off the pot.

S

scarface

Scarface,
are you even legal to run a signshop out of your apartment??
I really can't see any insurance company insuring you..could be wrong though.
I, after after 15 years of working on a main street, converted my barn to my shop-
I have a Gerber edge. No smells, No drying up ink. etc. Doesn't need a whole lot of space.
I think that would suit you just fine.

I am very much allowed to do so, it's a home based business. I have permission from the town as well as the state. Business license, sales and use tax ect

This looks to be a great debate on the ink fume subject.

A friend who has a shop in his home in a 14'x14' area with no ventilation said:

For the most part you never smell them at all but every now and again you can smell them. Very Very faint and it not a bad smell at all. Now remember my machine is in a 14"/14" room with a 9 ft ceiling. I wouldn't let the fumes be a issue with getting one that is for sure.

I am really thinking if i put a air purifier and crack the window directly behind the unit that would be some kind of venting.

:covereyes:

Letterbox Mike

With a 30" eco-solvent machine and a window right near it you'll be fine. Might put a little exhaust fan in the window to pull some extra air out but I doubt that's even necessary honestly. That ink isn't that harmful, nor can you physically output enough of it with that machine to give yourself an instant tumor, or upset the neighbors. Bite the bullet and get it already!

Mosh

Every look at the yellow ink, it says right on it that it may cause cance. Only the yellow say this. Our 300v does have an ink smell to it.

Graphics2u

That ink isn't that harmful, nor can you physically output enough of it with that machine to give yourself an instant tumor, or upset the neighbors. Bite the bullet and get it already!
Well then that's alright as long as it's not gonna instantly kill me! :ROFLMAO:

kustom.printing

Got me worried now, i have been using the printer for 6 months.

3 in a confined area with air blowing in not out and 3 with it next to a double window with flans blowing out (Better).

I am now moving into a unit will 2 industrial ventilation fans and 2 windows (Should be overkill).

But with the little line you just mentioned on the yellow ink I can't help but worry.

Is this like constant exposure of a high level or any exposure.

Replicator

My production/print area is now only 360 SQ FT and the ventilation is adequate, but in MID-WINTER I'm not gonna leave all my windows open.

I have a VP-540 with Eco-Sol-Max Inks and the odor can become extremely overwhelming at times in my small shop space.

Virtually odorless my A$$ . . . !

Techman

Just build yourself a nice air handler and put into the window. Small 5" fan for air out and a slot below for air in. Simple. Or you can add a 6" flex duct to the air in slot and run it across the floor to the other side of the room. Then you have a flow of fresh air coming across the room removing the vapors.

Close the bedroom door when printing and your all set.