• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ahhh ink may be keeping me from buying

petepaz

we have 2 rolands and like jason said only both are gong at the same time(and it would have to be heavy coverage)
otherwise i don't notice it much at all
but on the other hand i have been working here 19 years and smelling silk screen inks so my nose may be shot
and the doctor says if i keep taking my medicine the voices in my head will go away
... the smell is not too bad

High Octane

Short runs...no big deal...if it's running a lot right in your general area you can really smell it and taste it....kinda nasty but tolerable if you don't print a ton

trimguy

I believe more products coming out of California than other states have warnings on their packages regarding cancer. I have my Roland in an office about 20' by 8' with a take up reel. It gets a little "fumey" without the AC on.

bossdg

Buy an air scrubber or put a fan in the window. If you read the MSDS sheet you need to have 12 air exchanges per hour.

H2OK

you will smell the vinyl before you smell the inks...I have a VP-540i in a home office that is 13 x 15 ft. I smell the material heating up before I smell any ink fumes.

stickygraphics12

I have a sp540 and I rarely smell the odor, but a few of my friends have come into my shop and asked what the smell was?! I guess I'm just used to it by now! The only time I smell it is when I am printing from the time I walk in the door til the time I leave.....that's about 2-3 days a week it's printing all day though.

All in all, make a ventilation system or keep a window cracked like everyone else has said.

Bly

Every look at the yellow ink, it says right on it that it may cause cance. Only the yellow say this. Our 300v does have an ink smell to it.

Only causes cancer in California according to the label on mine.

SignManiac

Attachments

• WP-17.jpg
    WP-17.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 98

Ken

The smell of the versacamm is no worse than working with all the PVC vinyl.
You know that new car smell...well that's vinyl and it is also considered a carcinogen.
Put a little fan in the window.
Cheers!
Ken

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Put it in the room you said you don't use often. Throw a box fan in the window to blow out on high. If you still smell the fumes and can't swing an air scrubber, you could always purchase an automotive respirator to where while printing.

Might be time to find a new place?

Jim Hill

This topic is interesting.

With everything else to think about before making a purchase this is just one more important thing to think about.

Thanks for all the great ideas on what to do to help deal with the problem.

Jim Hill

signmeup

Carbon monoxide has no smell but is deadly. You can't guage toxicity by smell. The smell is harmless....it's the solvents that you need to worry about.