• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alias Names

RiXaX

I'm looking for a site where I might find an extensive list of alternate names for fonts. There are numerous fonts from major suppliers with hefty price tags, and they have free look alikes that will get me past a one time use. The first step is always finding the alias name.

SignsRus

I'm looking for a site where I might find an extensive list of alternate names for fonts. There are numerous fonts from major suppliers with hefty price tags, and they have free look alikes that will get me past a one time use. The first step is always finding the alias name.

You get what you pay for.

Vinylman

(I'm looking for a site where I might find an extensive list of alternate names for fonts. There are numerous fonts from major suppliers with hefty price tags, and they have free look alikes that will get me past a one time use. The first step is always finding the alias name.)

Let's see here now!

You are in a PROFESSION! You are supposed to act PROFESSIONALLY, and sell your customer on that fact that you use the best PROFESSIONAL products.

Now you come here and ask for "free look a likes".

You sound just like the cheap bastards that show up at all of our PROFESSIONAL sign shops and want us to match prices with the "Firefighter- race car driver- farmer- disgruntled ex employee- part time cab driver- cousin- retired school teacher - retired printshop owner - retired mill worker - former drug dealer {fill in the blank} price cutters, that those of us that do this FULL TIME to support our families, have to put up with every stinking day.:Oops: {I must have gotten out of the wrong side of bed this morning}

AND WHILE I'M AT IT!

If you can't afford the cost of quality fonts {or brushes and paints} then get out of the business and go mow lawns! Screw up some other industry.

Perhaps you might send your cheap customers down the lane to THE NEXT CHEAPEST shop. Then you can BOTH go out of business TOGETHER!

Leave those of us that have spent 5 - 10- or 30 years bustin' our butts to learn, not to mention the Thousands of dollars we have spent on educating ourselves, and buying the Best equipment AND FONTS money could buy. Even if it was only for the ONE job we had at the time.

I am still using brushes and paint, vinyl and fonts that I purchased AT FULL RETAIL twenty five years ago. Quality does not go out of style! Only cheap products, and people.

GEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!:help: What the HE_L got into me?

Rant is over::thankyou:

We now return you to our normally placid programing!

Have a GREAT Day

Bob C.

P.S. I feel MUCH better now that the anti depressants have started to kick in.:wine-smi::beer:Coffee::thumb:

BTW: That smoke you may be smelling is from the fuse on the bomb I just lit in this thread. I am SURE I'll get spanked for my comments here. But yah know what? Somebody has to be the grown up here and state the truth about where this profession is heading. And I am to old, to put up with the untrained WANNA BEES to give a crap.

If you want to learn a PROFESSIONAL TRADE, then step up and pay your dues. Stand in the gap and learn at the elbows of those who have come up through the ranks and learn a great and noble craft. Then WELCOME!

If you just want to "make a couple extra bucks" to suppliment your all ready bloated bank account. GO WORK AT WAL-MART!:Oops: {there I go again}

Techman

Vinylman..

And I am to old, to put up with the untrained WANNA BEES to give a crap.

The starter of this thread has been around for a lot longer than you it seems. In fact he is well known for his HAND painted lettering and GENUINE RED WOOD carved signs.

Now that you are done making an ass of yourself.. Maybe you can consider that some persons unlike yourself do not use fonts. They use a plain old brush or a plain old chisel for their work.

There is nothing wrong with asking for a legal FREE font. Its just the same as all those other vinyl jockey's who post here looking for a place to get FREE imitation of a professional fonts..

Its seems two faces for the double standard is needed.
One one day someone askes for font and gets a dozen posts telling him where to get a imitation for FREE.

Then the starter of this thread gets flamed for asking very same thing. He is asking for a legal copy of a font of which he may use only three letters once in his lifetime. Do the font police patrol this board too?

Sheesh. Pretty narrow minded thinking if you ask me..

RiXaX

I have over twenty six thousand fonts and the bulk of them are paid for.

I was not asking for a free font, I'm asking for a reference to the alternate names for some fonts.

I probably already own the font that I'm looking for. I purchased a program that is supposed to search my libraries to find the font that I display in a scanned image, but have yet to figure out how to get it to recognize all my libraries.

At this point, I think I'll go wash the stuff off my shoes that I stepped in here.

Thank you Jill and Curtis

THATgirl

Hi Rick, nice to see you in signs101. This is usually a very helpful site and I know what you mean about font names. A lot of fonts are the same with a different name.

As far as free fonts, if you have the time to look thru them there are a lot of nice free fonts as well as the ones we have paid for. Just depends on what you are looking for. Sometimes I use Identifont when I need similar looking fonts. Not sure if it was mentioned or not.

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I purchased a program that is supposed to search my libraries to find the font that I display in a scanned image, but have yet to figure out how to get it to recognize all my libraries.

There are two programs I know of that do that. FontExpert and Imagaro Z. In each case you have to add your libraries into the program's database.

Have you done this? Which program are you using?

You could also do the same thing with all the fonts at your favorite free sites and then you would cover more territory.

Vinylman

Vinylman..

The starter of this thread has been around for a lot longer than you it seems. In fact he is well known for his HAND painted lettering and GENUINE RED WOOD carved signs.

Now that you are done making an ass of yourself.. Maybe you can consider that some persons unlike yourself do not use fonts. They use a plain old brush or a plain old chisel for their work.

Sheesh. Pretty narrow minded thinking if you ask me..

Techman:

I stand corrected for my short sightedness in "going off" on RiXax earlier.
The comments where made more about the original post { which I may have taken in the wrong context} than as a personal attack upon Mr. RiXaX. I looked at the total # of posts he has made on this board, and A S S umed that he was someone new to the craft. I could be held accountable based on that same narrow point of view I suspect.

I stand corrected.

Perhaps because we all have forum names that may or may not be easily recognized, anyone of us can be mistaken about the person or situation that is posted here. That is one of the many problems that face us as a society that has chosen the anenimity of cyber space forums. A necessary evil perhaps.

As you so aptly pointed out I did make an A S S of myself. I am sorry, and I offer my sincere apologize to anyone offended.

Most of my comments where just my frustration at the way this craft has been bastardized by the people who have a computer, buy a cheap plotter and think they are sign professionals.

For those of us {this INCLUDES me} that have spent over 2/3 of their life trying very hard each day to perfect my craft, I have grown weary of the endless parade of people who come into this craft thinking only about the "big bucks" that can be rung out of an unsuspecting public by selling them what they want, {CHEAP signs}. Not what they need, quality advertising!

To those who understand where I am coming from, I need not explain my frustration. Many of those who read this will "get it". Those who don't, probably never will.

So you will know a little more about me, I have been directly involved in graphic design and the sign craft itself for over 30 years. I have posted examples of some of my work on the "Letterheads" website. Most recently several weeks ago I posted photos of a carved gold leaf gilded sign I completed last year. I am constantly challenged to better myself, and am NEVER satisfied that I could not improve upon my last effort.
As long as I have the health and ability to learn and grow, and teach others my craft, I will.
I welcome newcomers, young and old to ask questions about "how can I learn to better myself, and the craft?"

But I tire easily with the slipshod, bullshit approach that so many in todays marketplace sell as finished "advertising".

It is SH_T on a stick, and those of use who can discern that don't have to apologize to those who sell OR buy that type of product!

Have a nice day:thankyou:

Bob C.

signmeup

I see Rixax has more posts than you do Vinylman...
Of coarse, the number of posts have nothing to do with the persons' ability or character.

Adrian

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Vinylmaster pro has a program where it matches fonts from a single letter of the font you are looking for and gives you some choices based on the % of match.

Some fonts have been streched when they are used so it takes some of that into conceration as well. Vinylmaster pro has a link at the bottom right of this window. You will have to explore the site a bit to find the font detective program.

Heres the link http://www.futurecorp.net/united_states/font_det.htm

Last edited:

RiXaX

Bob C.
Thank you for the apology. I understand your situation and frustration. I've been lettering forty years now and have had a business for well over thirty years. I started the computer stuff back in the early eighties when I cut off my thumb on a table saw and needed to make a living while I healed. Back then the Goober fonts were $385 each and I bought lots. After my hand healed I kept the machine and grew from there as we all did. I usually start any project as a drawing on a paper napkin as I think all signs should begin. I don't try to design according to what fonts I have, but by what I'd like to see. Then if there happens to be a font that's similar I can modify it as I need. Most of what we do are sandblasted and carved redwood, although we do some sticky back. There have been years of my life when I did almost exclusively gilded windows and the wall years. I like to work in the shop now and wear glasses.

Fred
I purchased both of those programs as per your mentioning them. I just don't understand how to get all my fonts into the library and would like to speak with you on the phone some day soon if that's OK.

Thanks all.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Bob C.
Fred
I purchased both of those programs as per your mentioning them. I just don't understand how to get all my fonts into the library and would like to speak with you on the phone some day soon if that's OK.

Thanks all.

I'll be happy to be of help. 561 649-6300 - prefer between 10 AM and 5 PM eastern time.

hammered

As far as free fonts, whats the big deal. And not acting professional? How so? I use free, paid for and hand set text. Am I any less a professional about what I do or what I do it with?

Rix, Ive used this place from time to time and found some good and bad replacements. Sometimes the names are the same sometimes not. And I feel your pain on font management and search programs. Hope that helps

iSign

Some good give and take here. Rixax..also hiding behind a cyber name?
Ken

Ken,
don't you think RiXaX has taken enough crap here already today without you going off on your tired old real-names-crusade again?

Screen names are a product of our society, and a quite universally accepted practice by the vast majority.

As you should recall from your long thread about this, there are numerous legitimate reasons for this practice that should outweigh your tendency to catagorize use of a screen name as "hiding".

While not disclosing ones identity could be summed up as "hiding", it reads like a negative judgement.

I once uncovered a scammer advertising a used edge system that I identified as having a history of similar scamming. I posted the facts I uncovered here, only to be telephoned with threats to walk in to my shop and extract some form of retribution for thwarting his intentions to rip off a fellow signs101 member.

I didn't really think this guy was going to fly out here to kick my ass... but he said he comes here every year, and he knew where to find me, who I am and what I looked like... but I knew nothing about him, except that his username had a history of criminal activities. These are not the kind of people you want threatening you. I changed my user name here that day. Although it was too late for that user, I decided the "hiding" you refer to was the lesser of evils.

That is just MY story, yet there are many many more serious ones... so you may want to ease up on the real name crusade. Go ahead and give out your identity if you want, and feel free to judge those of us who don't if you so choose... but don't judge us in public unless you want to debate it in pulic, because there will be a far longer list of intelligent reasons for protecting your identity then you will ever be able to come up with for revealing it, carte blanche, to the entire global community of cyber space.