• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alias Names

Ken

Well, Mr "no sign my name"..I still stand behind my name and character.
I will never back down from that. I , at one phase in my life, was a private investigator..and it just bewildered me about those people who would not stand up and tell you, or even admit, that they were who they were. I thought it was shameful..not only to them, but also to their families. Some hide in fear, some in confusion, Hiding is for little girls. The big bad wolf is gonna get ya?...bring it on...hopefully on a bad day...
How do you answer the phone?
" Hi, Ken here..how can I help you." Same when I make a call.." Hi, this is Ken Beyer..is Fred in??"
The Japanese would call it "saving face"...honourable..I don't have difficulty with that.
Ken

iSign

I guess if someone ever has to die from senseless violence... going out with a puffed out chest & a bloated ego must be very self satisfying.

Last edited:

Ken

I added to my last post Isign..you may wish to read that.
Ken
I suppose that , in Canada, we do not have the level of violence that you experience in the US..understandable.

Last edited:

iSign

Men who paint others as "litte girls" must secretly think very little of their own manhood. Hope it has helped you in some way though.

Ken

Cute..
Do you think your people in Iraq are hiding behind a facade of anonymity?
Our people in Afghanistan? F'k no way...You got scared once..now you're pulling up the shell..Live man..live..join your local fire dept...it's a great experience..
I'm just sayin D....be calm, focus..live.
Kind regards..Ken

iSign

dude, you don't get it.
It's not that I "got scared once"... I just got smart... net-savvy, you could say!

...facing your fears... living on the edge, racking up years and years of adventerous life experiences... I guarantee you, ya' got nothin on me there...

...but life on the internet is not real life & putting a bunch of personal information out there won't help other sign makers learn from your contributions... but it could bite you in the ass... so why do it? Foolish pride? It doesn't make you a braver man... just a known man. big deal!

(by the way, I'll remove your phone, email, and address from my post above... it was just to make the point that simply being "Ken from Eagle Bay" isn't all that forthcoming either :rolleyes:)

Techman

As for the posture against using a nick name on the web..

I wonder if he would say those words,, if he just once,, just once got a call from a from a prison threatening to kill the wife and kids.. Or, if he stood in a public parking lot with his son nearby having to face down a real threat to life and limb. Or having to teach family members how to act during a possible gun fire attack.

It ain't about us being men,, its about protecting those around us who would suffer far more..

Also, I find it interesting that a one time Private Eye would stand with so much machismo especially after all the training that teaches a good investigator the Wyatt Earp days are over. All the investigators I ever knew were very careful to keep their identity very low key.

Finally, when trying to play the nonviolent crime free life in Canada card. Be sure to get ready to explain away the youth violence problems over there.

Yes, the chances of a violent episode are very remote. But let those who must take those chances make the security decisions.

Bigdawg

Just Me
wow... what a thread-jack. All this fuss about not using real names on a forum... gee, can't imagine why you would WANT to use your real name on a SEARCHABLE forum.

I had to change my username (used to be my biz name) when one of my customer's googled my name, found this site and demanded to know why I was charging so much when he could tell from the site everything was so cheap. So besides the violence aspect there is every reason to use another name here without being considered a girly-man.

Now for the fonts - I absolutely have a font fetish and own thousands of them - I buy 'em like most women buy shoes. But I also use free ones. If you are a professional you can tell the difference between a good font and a piece of crap and act accordingly. I don't think the use of free fonts is a sign of an amateur - how you use them is.

mountainmang

i'd say this thread is the best example possible of why NOT to use a real name, lol. customers DO NOT understand banter such as this :thumb:

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I just did a search on my computer to see how many fonts I have. I found over 20,000 of the little buggers. When I organized them into alphabetical order I found that very few were duplicates.

I'm sure that a good many of them are look-a-likes but without a program like Font Detective I might as well delete most of them from my computer.

A list of look-a-like font names would be helpful. Perhaps the better tool would be a program that would delete the look-a-likes and go to the one that's left if any of the deleted names were called for. But then, there would always be the one that has a few look-a-likes and some letters or numbers that were not so closely matched.

If you do a search for part of the name of a font you are looking for, you may find that you have it.

It seems every program that is only remotely tied to word processing will have a set of fonts attached to it. All MS products will have the same basic set.

CorelDraw has a font manager that allows you to see sample text of each font as you move from one to another. It will only show the fonts that you load into it. the program even lets you install or uninstall fonts.

Hope this helps