• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alley Kat - help needed

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
It's readily available stock art. What's your point?

I'm pretty sure the point would be that stock art usually does not allow for use with a logo or trademark.

The gato is from a site that restricts it's use and does not allow for it.

Since these are shown as "initial" concepts, I am assuming that the cat is there
as a placeholder (I do this quite a bit) and will be replaced with original art.
Phillip is a stand up guy and either is not informed of the restriction or most likely,
replacing the stock art with an original once his client gets approval.

Billct2

I like the shield too, and how original can a cat licking it's paw silhouette get? I guess he could go for a more stylized retro look, but I'll bet whatever it is I can find one to match somewhere online.

John Butto

I like the shield too, and how original can a cat licking it's paw silhouette get? I guess he could go for a more stylized retro look, but I'll bet whatever it is I can find one to match somewhere online.
And anyone wonders why our industry has gone down. It is called a copycat, no pun intended. Just went out back and drew the neighbor's cat sneaking around the birds. He can, if he wants, with my permission use it as his silhouette and just put it walking on the same spot on his shield logo.

Billct2

John,
Big difference between ripping off a complete design or printing copyrighted logo and using a clipart reference.
When I started in this business us "non artists" sign painters and even a lot of the real sign illustrators had
a reference morgue which contained all kinds of magazine clippings, books, illustrations, ads, photos etc used
to find samples we could use on the handpainted signs we were doing.
Now it's all electronic and a whole lot easier to find references.