• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Almost killed yesterday

Colin

Regardless, Colin did have the right of way in this scenario.

Yes. Thank you.

My guess is because Colin was on a bicycle (known for not going fast) she missjudged how fast he was going and thought she could make it. Colin being the elite rider he is was probably clipping along pretty fast (what was the speed limit on that road) and she missjudged it.

The speed limit on that particular road was 60 kph (40 mph). I was doing a steady 35 kph, and was doing so in full view of the driver for about 20 seconds. I suggest that that is a very long time to assess the other vehicle (me), and given that there was no other traffic around, I cannot fathom just how poor one's judgement would have to be to make that sort of error.

Here is an image of where it occurred. This was what she saw when she approached the area, and you can see how long she would have had me in view as she approached her desired left turn onto that side road.

Attachments

• P1030925.jpg
    P1030925.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 87

CES020

1) Colin ran into the side of a car that pulled in front of him by an elderly lady that shouldn't have her permit.

2) Everyone is glad Colin is okay.

3) Some people asked questions about the bigger picture and were told they were stupid, illogical, or morons.

4) Bob will run your ass over if you get in his way.

5) You're still a moron if you have any questions about how to prevent this in the future or an alternate point of view.

There, you should be all caught up now :Big Laugh

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

On the issue of taxes, cyclists do pay the same taxes a motorist does. The tired old yarn that "we motorists pay for the roads" is simply not true. Roads are paid for from general revenue, and most of that comes from property taxes. Besides, mosts cyclists also own & drive vehicles.

Really? How much per gallon of fuel used do your and your bicycle pay? Regardless of whether or not roads come out of general funds, a motor vehicle pays significant taxes that a bicyclist does not. Those motor vehicles owned and operated by bicyclists pay per gallon of fuel bought and subsequently used. This tax, as well as weight and registration fees, do not carry over into some kind of bizarre credit for also having a bicycle.

You're a smart guy bob, so I'm surprised to see you resort to this poor level of arguement, painting a picture that falsely represents the typical cyclist. Why do mention a beard? Why do you refer to a bike as a child's toy? Why do refer to the average speed of a cyclist (10-30 mph) as almost stationary? Is it possible that you are seeing things from one rigid, and possibly myopic viewpoint of a non-cyclist?...

Just having fun waxing a bit poetic.

A bicycle is, fundamentally, a child's toy regardless of how sophisticated it might be.

As far as relative speed, I'm tooling along at perfectly reasonable 50 or 60 or more and the bicyclist is doing whatever glacial velocity it might be able to achieve, the delta is significant. You might as well put a 55 gallon drum in the middle of the road. Yet I'm expected to take whatever evasive action necessary, hazarding my safety, to avoid trying to occupy the same space at the same time as the aforementioned twit. The way I see it, if one of us is going to be hurt I'm damned sure going to try to arrange things so it's not me or mine.

Dan Antonelli

On the day that people on bicycles are required to carry the very same liability indemnification that I am, pay the same taxes I pay**, are capable of the same speeds as me, and capable of stopping from those speeds in the same distance as me, I will grudgingly accept them on public roadways.

Until then, they remain hazards to legitimate motorists. Coming around a corner only to find some bearded twit pedaling his child's toy at a speed close to being a stationary object relative to my speed tends to increase one's pucker factor. Especially when I'm pulling a horse trailer. Here's a news flash for all bicycle riders, those animals back there in the trailer mean a whole hell of a lot more to me than you do. Figure it out from there.

I don't want to harm bicycle riders, I want them to share my anxiety. I want them to think that they're going to die.

What the law in some village might be can be amusing but not one of these quaint laws nor all of them together alter the laws of physics.

**I've heard all of the self-serving tax rationalizations extant. The fact remains that a motor vehicle pays a tax on every gallon of fuel it uses as well as weight fees, bicycle riders do neither of these things.

Just curious if this also applies to joggers and walkers. Should they be not allowed on the road too, because they dont pay their fair share of taxes?

And as Colin said - I have two cars and pay my fair share of taxes. As do probably more than 95% of every other cyclist over the age of 21 who probably owns a car.

iSign

what happen the last 5pages?
I thought this was a great question, as i did not know yet either...

but i wasn't nearly prepared for how great of an answer i was about to get as i scrolled down... hahahahaha

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

classic CES.. just about the best reply ever... laughing out load is not something I encounter often on the computer... that was some pretty f'n funny stuff there!!

1) Colin ran into the side of a car that pulled in front of him by an elderly lady that shouldn't have her permit.

2) Everyone is glad Colin is okay.

3) Some people asked questions about the bigger picture and were told they were stupid, illogical, or morons.

4) Bob will run your ass over if you get in his way.

5) You're still a moron if you have any questions about how to prevent this in the future or an alternate point of view.

There, you should be all caught up now :Big Laugh

Colin

Really? How much per gallon of fuel used do your and your bicycle pay? Regardless of whether or not roads come out of general funds, a motor vehicle pays significant taxes that a bicyclist does not. Those motor vehicles owned and operated by bicyclists pay per gallon of fuel bought and subsequently used. This tax, as well as weight and registration fees, do not carry over into some kind of bizarre credit for also having a bicycle.

Suggested reading:

http://www.ibiketo.ca/guide/who-pays-roads

http://ipayroadtax.com/?p=15

http://www.portlandize.com/2009/07/should-cyclists-pay-road-tax.html

A bicycle is, fundamentally, a child's toy regardless of how sophisticated it might be.

Again, I'm shocked that such a statement is coming from our old friend bob.

As far as relative speed, I'm tooling along at perfectly reasonable 50 or 60 or more and the bicyclist is doing whatever glacial velocity it might be able to achieve, the delta is significant. You might as well put a 55 gallon drum in the middle of the road. Yet I'm expected to take whatever evasive action necessary, hazarding my safety, to avoid trying to occupy the same space at the same time as the aforementioned twit.

Why is he/she a twit? The law states that, as the cyclist is a legal and legitimate part of traffic, a person driving a motor vehicle is not permitted to pass until safe to do so. Period. Also, most places suggest that a minumim of 3 feet distance is required to pass a cyclist, and some places it is the Law, and is becoming Law in more & more places. It is exactly the same as if you come across a slower moving car, tractor, whatever.....you are not permitted to pass until safe to do so. It is a ticketable offence. If you don't like that Law, you are free to go to work towards having the Law changed so that you can pass whoever and whenever you feel like it. Just remember that that will also apply to the semi trailer headed towards you one day.

And, if your face turns purple at having to slow down and wait a few seconds for it to be safe to pass, perhaps there is an attitudinal adjustment ready for adoption on your part.

knifemaker3

I'm probably going to get blasted for this but I have to say my thoughts about all this.

First, glad to see you're ok. You are very lucky.

Now, I am a firefighter/medical first responder and my son is an emt. I personally have picked up several people off the highways and back gravel roads around here who have had mostly motorcycle accidents. 1 or 2 walked away with a few scratches and sore. The rest were either serious injuries or DEATH.

Now, I realize you were on a bicyle and there is a difference in the 2 when it comes to accidents. But not that much. I simply don't see anyone's logic in thinking that just because they are riding a motorcycle or bicycle that they somehow are magically seen by everyone on the road. Simple logic should tell you that it is much easier to see a motor vehicle than a bike. It should be mandatory that all cyclists rather motorcycle or bicycle should be required to wear ANSI Class 2 compliant garments while riding so they can be better seen. Maybe it is where you live, but not where I do.

I realize you have every right to ride you bicycle out on the roadways and that every motor vehicle must treat you as any other vehicle out there. However, a motor vehicle is required (at least here in Missouri) to have it's lights on 30 minutes before dark and during low light and rainy conditions. Yet, you are not required making it even more difficult to see a bicycle. Also, you as a cyclist should realize that those cars coming at you may not see you as easy as a car because of the sun, low lights conditions, rainy conditions, etc. Yet, most people who ride don't seem to think about that. Even motorcycles are required to ride with their lights on to make them easier to see.

I've picked enough people off the highways to realize that you are not going to fair well at all when you do have an accident. I've known many bikers, most motorcyclist and almost all of them have been in a wreck of some sort on the highway. I've know many people, myself included who have had wrecks in motor vehicles. The seriousness of the injuries with the cyclist has always been more sever than with motor vehicles as a whole. Not that there hasn't been serious injuries and death with the motor vehicles, just per capata (<-spelling?) the seriousness is less with car wrecks than cycles. I'll take my chances in a car wreck anyday.

Yes, everyone takes their life in their own hands everytime we get behind the wheel or on a bike. Yes, we all have certain responsibilities whichever mode of travel we take. However, we now require safety belts to be worn in all cars, airbags completely surrounding the passenger areas of cars, lights on all sides to be seen, etc.

But, it isn't required with bicycles. Yet, they still are allowed on the road. Isn't that unfair to the motor vehicle driver? Shouldn't bicycles also be required to have at minimum flashers, turn signals, lights, reflectors, etc.?

And, aren't you placing the motor vehicle driver at risk when you drive your bicycle without at least some type of reflective/high visibility garment to be better seen? I hope that you do wear high vis garments at least when you ride, but most cyclist don't.

I could go on but I'll shut up and let everyone here tell me what a moron I am and how stupid my ideas are. I just hope I don't ever have to pick you up off one of my local highways and have you air lifted in a helicopter because you've had a wreck or been hit on you "child's toy".

Yes, you have every right to do so. Just like you also have a right to jump off a cliff, go skydiving without a chute, or play russian rollete. Ain't very smart to do those things because of the consequence of your actions, but you have every right to do so.

Monsterkidz

I am an avid cyclist here in NYC it can be rough here educating some drivers that I have every right to road as they do. Most drivers are very respectful and aware. Glad to hear you walked away from that. What kind of bike was it?

Colin

knifemaker3:

Thanks for the comments.

I simply don't see anyone's logic in thinking that just because they are riding a motorcycle or bicycle that they somehow are magically seen by everyone on the road.

I think that I can safely speak for most all cyclists when I say that we do not assume that we are seen, and actually ride as though we're not; but there is the odd circumstance (like the one I just experienced) where, under the circumstances, assuming that I was seen would have been the thought process of anyone.

Simple logic should tell you that it is much easier to see a motor vehicle than a bike.

Yes, I think we all know and agree with that, but in my 32 years of driving, I have never allowed my attention to surroundings lax to the point where I'm unaware. I always keep the radar on around me.

It should be mandatory that all cyclists rather motorcycle or bicycle should be required to wear ANSI Class 2 compliant garments while riding so they can be better seen.

I'm not sure what you mean by that - do you mean reflective gear, or protective gear like the leathers that motorcyclists wear? If the latter, it would not be practical for cyclists to wear heavy clothing as we are the engines for our bike, and the heat build-up would be unbearable.

Reflective clothing for cyclists is strongly recommended here, but I don't know if it is required by law, I'll look into it. I know that lights for night/dark conditions are mandatory.

I realize you have every right to ride you bicycle out on the roadways and that every motor vehicle must treat you as any other vehicle out there. However, a motor vehicle is required (at least here in Missouri) to have it's lights on 30 minutes before dark and during low light and rainy conditions. Yet, you are not required, making it even more difficult to see a bicycle.

Not true. (see above).

Also, you as a cyclist should realize that those cars coming at you may not see you as easy as a car because of the sun, low lights conditions, rainy conditions, etc.

Yup, fully aware of that.

Yet, most people who ride don't seem to think about that.

How do you know that most don't think about that? I would bet that most do, you just don't hear about them because they don't have incidents.

The seriousness of the injuries with the cyclist has always been more sever than with motor vehicles as a whole. Not that there hasn't been serious injuries and death with the motor vehicles, just per capita, the seriousness is less with car wrecks than cycles.

Sure, we don't have the benefit of a large metal cage around us, including lots of hi-tech safety features like air-bags, crumple zones, etc.

I'll take my chances in a car wreck anyday.

Well, ya, I guess I would too (depending on the wreck), I've seen car crashes I wouldn't want to be in, but we don't get to choose; you've got to live your life.

....however, we now require safety belts to be worn in all cars, airbags completely surrounding the passenger areas of cars, lights on all sides to be seen, etc.

But, it isn't required with bicycles.

Are you suggesting that a bicycle should have safety belts and airbags?

....Yet, they still are allowed on the road.

Are you suggesting that bicycles shouldn't be allowed on the road for the above reasons?

Isn't that unfair to the motor vehicle driver?

How so? A bike is required to have lights in low-light or dark conditions.

Shouldn't bicycles also be required to have at minimum flashers, turn signals, lights, reflectors, etc.?

At night, they are. A cyclists is also required to signal (by hand/arm) his/her intent to turn. Me and the people I ride with do this all the time, and one is reprimanded for not doing it.

And, aren't you placing the motor vehicle driver at risk when you drive your bicycle without at least some type of reflective/high visibility garment to be better seen?

Indeed. It drives me crazy to see some bone-head riding in dark conditions without reflective gear and/or lights. They're just asking to get smacked.

I hope that you do wear high vis garments at least when you ride, but most cyclist don't.

That maybe true for where you live, but where I live, it is the norm. I was wearing a bright blue jacket with reflective strips, and it was daytime.

Yes, you have every right to do so. Just like you also have a right to jump off a cliff, go skydiving without a chute, or play russian roulette.

I take it you mean cycling without hi-vis gear, not cycling in general, right?

Cheers.

Just Me

who really gives 2 pieces of mokey crap? this thread has been beat to death, sheesh give it up!:rolleyes:

colon, you survived, thank god or your higher power (whatever that may be) and just be thankful your alright.

over and out, end of discussion...thank you please drive thru:clapping:

saktrnch

Just put some baseball cards in your spokes so people can hear you coming. Might have to ad a couple of extras just to make sure...

Colin

Update: I met with the Insurance company adjuster this morning, and before I had a chance to say anything they said that the lady was obviously 100% at fault. Insurance companies (especially this particular one) are famous for attempting to assign some percentage of blame to the victim, so that was encouraging.

They wouldn't tell me the exact age of the lady, but she was over 85.