Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost killed yesterday

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Colin, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Well I got smoked on the bike yesterday. As some of you may know, I am into the sport of cycling, and yesterday was out on my usual 1 hr loop when an approaching car turned right into me. I am very, very lucky not only to be alive, but to not have any serious injuries. I was launched over the car like a rag doll, and of course the driver was an elderly (80+) lady who, at the scene, claimed she just didn't see me, but later said to police that she did see me but thought that she had time & room to make the turn. Now that is some messed-up spatial judgement! She should not be behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. Just two days before, I almost got taken out by an old lady! Grrrr.

I was taken to the hospital and checked over for any neck/spinal issues and was released. I'm quite sore today, but should be ok.

The graphic should explain it all. $5000.00 bike is toast.

So, what are your thoughts on mandatory driver's testing after a certain age?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Steve C.

Steve C. Very Active Member

May 22, 2003
    Thank God you're OK!....:rolleyes:

But really Colin, Glad you're alright. Motorcylces are SO dangerous, you have
    to be on the defensive constantly.

Too bad about the bike, Insurance gona pay?

3. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Glad you are OK but...I think motorcycles should be required to have tall orange flags on them so they are easier to see. My grandpa is 93 and still drives home from the bar every afternoon of card playing with no problems.

4. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    bicycle.

5. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Yes, bicycle. The impact was like sprinting at 55 kph into a parked car.

6. weaselboogie

weaselboogie Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Us
    I think they should have mandatory testing at any age. There's a couple of people that I know that are a quite scary behind the wheel.

7. gnatt66

gnatt66 Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    NH
    uh...he wasnt on a motorcycle that i can tell...

that SUCKS. Mandatory driving, eye, and IQ tests for ALL, imo. Drivers licenses are way too easy to get in the states and stupidly easy to keep. Blah.

8. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    I thought he was on a motorcycle? Most wrecks on Motorbikes are from people not seeing them, This would save lives. A big orange flag wouldn't look any dumber than a middle age man with leather chaps and a head band on.

Bikes can be replaced, glad YOU are OK.

9. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    In California, once you reach 70, you must take an eye exam in low light conditions. It is the standard eye chart that is in a reduced lighting area. IF you don't score well, an driving test is required!

Luckily ...I aced it because an examiner would have freaked out if he had to climb ito my van.

:omg::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

10. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Maybe you shouldn't ride in traffic. Two close calls in two days.........

Anyway, it's good to hear you're alright and not suffering.

I had a head on collision many years ago where the guy was clearly at fault... even admitted it was his fault to the cops and he was only in his late 20's or early 30's. Should we ban 30-ish men too..... or make everyone take a test when flesh hits metal ??

It's a lot different today for most drivers. There are far too many distractions and I see people swerving and suddenly jerking the wheel back because of eating, putting on make up or most of all...... on the frickin' cell phone. I don't think taking her licesne away is going to make the streets any safer. It might be safer for her, but I would suggest finding a safer spot to ride. :smile:

11. Border

Border Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Minnesota
    I don't really care for the color and font choices in your graphic, but am glad to hear you're ok!

Sorry, couldn't help myself

:Big Laugh

Seriously though, glad to hear you're ok. That happened to my brother too and he got dragged for a while, tangle up in his bike, and pretty beat up.

12. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    really glad that you are OK.

13. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    Glad you made it out alive . . . !

14. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Thank GOD your OK...yea I know I was late on that lol

Good to hear your OK.

My pet peave is not just retesting older drivers but for GODS sake I just wish the police would concentrate on those drivers that drive the posted limit and seem to be obeying the law but then they come to a stop sign and poof!!! all reasoning is gone and they roll right through them. I generally find it to be woman drivers (you know the type...afraid of driving generally) who do this and I fear that because the police don't take the effort to catch these types of drivers there are not more killed or maimed pedestrians. It is those drivers who's insurance is generally low too. Now I am pissed!!!

15. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    ya,, blame the older geezer,, we will all be old geezers some day.

Play the victor card and most of these accidents will never happen.

16. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    Glad you're Ok Colin.
    Yes, in Kelowna, much like Victoria, you see a lot of of little grey heads behind the wheel. A lot of these older folks are incapable of turning their head enough to do a shoulder check or even to check for traffic coming at right angles. Yes, I would support a requirement for people to be checked out after a certain age...just not sure what age that would be?
    Cheers!
    Ken

17. Steve C.

Steve C. Very Active Member

May 22, 2003
    Bicycle? You were driving in traffic on a bicycle? :covereyes:

18. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    WTF? so it's women, women who are afraid of driving a big old manly car that are the issue? maybe back in 1924.

19. Custom Bob

Custom Bob Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Maybe you should consider buying one of those fluorescent orange construction vests to wear.
    If I we're you I would take up a safer hobby, like.....sky diving!

20. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I knew I shouldnt have rally typed that but from my observations it almost everytime is a woman, A Canadian woman, and many have children in the car as well. Maybe if cops gave a few tickets for those violations a little more often they would know better

21. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Uh, ya. A cyclist is a legal and legitimate part of traffic.

I've been into the sport of cycling for 20 years, and am comfortable in traffic. I watch and see things like a hawk. This occured in a very quiet, rural area, and the 2 vehicles shown were the only ones there at the time.