• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Almost killed yesterday

Colin

Well I got smoked on the bike yesterday. As some of you may know, I am into the sport of cycling, and yesterday was out on my usual 1 hr loop when an approaching car turned right into me. I am very, very lucky not only to be alive, but to not have any serious injuries. I was launched over the car like a rag doll, and of course the driver was an elderly (80+) lady who, at the scene, claimed she just didn't see me, but later said to police that she did see me but thought that she had time & room to make the turn. Now that is some messed-up spatial judgement! She should not be behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. Just two days before, I almost got taken out by an old lady! Grrrr.

I was taken to the hospital and checked over for any neck/spinal issues and was released. I'm quite sore today, but should be ok.

The graphic should explain it all. $5000.00 bike is toast.

So, what are your thoughts on mandatory driver's testing after a certain age?

Attachments

• December 3rd Incident - 2.jpg
    December 3rd Incident - 2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 142

Steve C.

Thank God you're OK!....:rolleyes:

But really Colin, Glad you're alright. Motorcylces are SO dangerous, you have
to be on the defensive constantly.

Too bad about the bike, Insurance gona pay?

Mosh

Glad you are OK but...I think motorcycles should be required to have tall orange flags on them so they are easier to see. My grandpa is 93 and still drives home from the bar every afternoon of card playing with no problems.

omgsideburns

Glad you are OK but...I think motorcycles should be required to have tall orange flags on them so they are easier to see. My grandpa is 93 and still drives home from the bar every afternoon of card playing with no problems.

bicycle.

weaselboogie

I think they should have mandatory testing at any age. There's a couple of people that I know that are a quite scary behind the wheel.

gnatt66

uh...he wasnt on a motorcycle that i can tell...

that SUCKS. Mandatory driving, eye, and IQ tests for ALL, imo. Drivers licenses are way too easy to get in the states and stupidly easy to keep. Blah.

Mosh

I thought he was on a motorcycle? Most wrecks on Motorbikes are from people not seeing them, This would save lives. A big orange flag wouldn't look any dumber than a middle age man with leather chaps and a head band on.

Bikes can be replaced, glad YOU are OK.

Si Allen

In California, once you reach 70, you must take an eye exam in low light conditions. It is the standard eye chart that is in a reduced lighting area. IF you don't score well, an driving test is required!

Luckily ...I aced it because an examiner would have freaked out if he had to climb ito my van.

:omg::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Maybe you shouldn't ride in traffic. Two close calls in two days.........

Anyway, it's good to hear you're alright and not suffering.

I had a head on collision many years ago where the guy was clearly at fault... even admitted it was his fault to the cops and he was only in his late 20's or early 30's. Should we ban 30-ish men too..... or make everyone take a test when flesh hits metal ??

It's a lot different today for most drivers. There are far too many distractions and I see people swerving and suddenly jerking the wheel back because of eating, putting on make up or most of all...... on the frickin' cell phone. I don't think taking her licesne away is going to make the streets any safer. It might be safer for her, but I would suggest finding a safer spot to ride. :smile:

Border

I don't really care for the color and font choices in your graphic, but am glad to hear you're ok!

Sorry, couldn't help myself

:Big Laugh

Seriously though, glad to hear you're ok. That happened to my brother too and he got dragged for a while, tangle up in his bike, and pretty beat up.

gabagoo

Thank GOD your OK...yea I know I was late on that lol

Good to hear your OK.

My pet peave is not just retesting older drivers but for GODS sake I just wish the police would concentrate on those drivers that drive the posted limit and seem to be obeying the law but then they come to a stop sign and poof!!! all reasoning is gone and they roll right through them. I generally find it to be woman drivers (you know the type...afraid of driving generally) who do this and I fear that because the police don't take the effort to catch these types of drivers there are not more killed or maimed pedestrians. It is those drivers who's insurance is generally low too. Now I am pissed!!!

Techman

ya,, blame the older geezer,, we will all be old geezers some day.

Play the victor card and most of these accidents will never happen.

Ken

Glad you're Ok Colin.
Yes, in Kelowna, much like Victoria, you see a lot of of little grey heads behind the wheel. A lot of these older folks are incapable of turning their head enough to do a shoulder check or even to check for traffic coming at right angles. Yes, I would support a requirement for people to be checked out after a certain age...just not sure what age that would be?
Cheers!
Ken

Marlene

I generally find it to be woman drivers (you know the type...afraid of driving generally) who do this

WTF? so it's women, women who are afraid of driving a big old manly car that are the issue? maybe back in 1924.

Custom Bob

Maybe you should consider buying one of those fluorescent orange construction vests to wear.
If I we're you I would take up a safer hobby, like.....sky diving!

gabagoo

WTF? so it's women, women who are afraid of driving a big old manly car that are the issue? maybe back in 1924.

I knew I shouldnt have rally typed that but from my observations it almost everytime is a woman, A Canadian woman, and many have children in the car as well. Maybe if cops gave a few tickets for those violations a little more often they would know better

Colin

Bicycle? You were driving in traffic on a bicycle? :covereyes:

Uh, ya. A cyclist is a legal and legitimate part of traffic.

I've been into the sport of cycling for 20 years, and am comfortable in traffic. I watch and see things like a hawk. This occured in a very quiet, rural area, and the 2 vehicles shown were the only ones there at the time.