• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Almost killed yesterday

Marlene

I knew I shouldnt have rally typed that but from my observations it almost everytime is a woman and many have children in the car as well. Maybe if cops gave a few tickets for those violations a little more often they would know better

what gets me is the idiot in the over sized SUV coming at me crossing the center line going 90 in a 50 zone. or the same kind of idiot riding my bumper. my all time favorite is the idiot talking on his phone, driving 90, crossing the center line and running a red light. these idiots are both men and women, old and young. I have an idiot that comes blasting up on my bumper every morning, rides way too close and passing without leaving the lane I'm in so that I have to move into the break down lane to avoid being side swiped. the idot also passing anywhere and it mostly is on a curve that the jerk does this. the person is a guy, not a old guy but alsonot a kid and he's driving a Prius.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah Colin... it's legal here too, but today with people listening to ipods in their ears, eating breakfast and texting their significant other while racing to get to work on time... you're taking your life out of your hands and putting it before all these idiots out on the road today... old and young alike, male, female, kids, drunks, high, nuts and taxis.

It's more like going to war wearing the latest gear and having the most modern arsenal at your finger tips against some sheep herder with a staff.

You don't have near the protection a car or truck has and you wanna go up against them because you like it as a hobby ?? Why don't you take up that photography thing you were talking about and play it safe ??

Ride your bike in a park or on a riding path ?? They do have bicycle paths up there.... don't they ??

bicycle-safety-look .jpg

quicksigns

Someone is looking over you. I have a friend who "use to" ride until one day he turned into his neighborhood and one of the neighbor was doing yard work and had branches and leaves on the corner of the street and he slide and took out his knee cap. The bike had minor scratch and he sold it a month later after he got better and the guy that bought it after him had a fatal accident. Be safe out there!

Jillbeans

Yikes!
Glad you made it out alive!
(it's not just oldsters who are poor drivers, my daughter texts while driving.)
Love....Jill

Marlene

Someone is looking over you. I have a friend who "use to" ride until one day he turned into his neighborhood and one of the neighbor was doing yard work and had branches and leaves on the corner of the street and he slide and took out his knee cap. The bike had minor scratch and he sold it a month later after he got better and the guy that bought it after him had a fatal accident. Be safe out there!

what a sad story!

around here, we have a lot of old roads that are narrow and have no break down lanes at all. we don't have many places where the roads are straight either so riding means riding right in the road with the cars. you come around a corner and there's a bike or there's a car in your lane trying to avoid the bike in their lane. out my way, we have 26 miles of bike path that are beautiful. it ticks me off to no end to come up on a guy riding a bike on the road in sight of the path. I'd like to see a law that makes it mandatory for a bike rider to use a bike lane or bike path when available. not being a jerk, the scary stuff concerning bikes goes both ways.

Pat Whatley

It's ridiculous to me we don't have to pass the driving test here but once in a lifetime. You can fail it 20 times and luck up and get it right the 21st and you're free to drive.

signmeup

Stay off the roads on bicycles! You can say the woman was in the wrong to hit you....but she ain't the one who's gonna be dead right? You've been warned....twice apparently. Glad you're going to be OK.

d fleming

Glad you're ok. Not a bicycle story but I will tell you that I never hurt myself on a racetrack in my younger days riding for Honda like a little old lady on I-10 in a caddy did. Got rid of the scooter and been riding in my vette or truck since. Gonna have to come through the door to get me next time Granny. Been thinking about riding a bicycle to work for the exercise lately, may just walk the dog instead. Again, glad you're ok.

Colin

Been thinking about riding a bicycle to work for the exercise lately, may just walk the dog instead. Again, glad you're ok.

Do it. You'll feel great, and pollute less. I've been cycling for 20 years without an incident like this, so don't let fear rule.

Dan Antonelli

Stay off the roads on bicycles! You can say the woman was in the wrong to hit you....but she ain't the one who's gonna be dead right? You've been warned....twice apparently. Glad you're going to be OK.

Um, no how bout motorist share the road with us! We actually have the right away.

Colin buddy - glad you are ok! The graphic you posted is identical to a crash I had in 85 when I toasted my nice Fuji Pro, which was replaced with a nicer Pinarello (always a bright side!).

You running your garmin during the ride? You can retrace your exact speed at impact and then see your speed flat line... fun stuff - NOT! I had all the data from when I went down in April - HR at time of crash, speed, HR after crash...

If you can walk away - thats awesome. Still dealing with residual damage to my hand from my crash. Need a second surgery on pinky in a month, and still going to PT 2x a week.

Hang in there buddy... :)

Dan Antonelli

Do it. You'll feel great, and pollute less. I've been cycling for 20 years without an incident like this, so don't let fear rule.

Colin - I was about 25 years without incident until last April. I figure probably at least 40,000 miles safely ridden.

PS - Can you salvage your components? You could build up a nice all carbon ride for probably $2k. You should check out the new 2010 Colnago's....

Colin

Thanks Dan. I don't have a Garmin, just a regular bike computer. I was doing about 35 kph (22 mph) and didn't have any time to throw the anchors out. Add that to her speed of about 10 mph, and, well, I'll let you imagine the impact. It all happened in a nano-second.

Dice

I don't think i know anyone who has a motorcycle and not been in an accident.

A friend of my mothers had his foot cut off in a motorcycle accident. A Friend of mine wrecked into a parked car after he lost control and punctured his stomach.

When it comes to motorcycles I don't think it's a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Colin

Yup, I got taken out on a motorbike 28 years ago. Another driver who wasn't paying attention.

quicksigns

Sorry guys, it started snowing today and we decided not to do any work outside so we started drinking at 11am and close at 1:30 and did, but didn't realize the post was about a bicycle. my post was about a motorcycle. Sorry...:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:Sleeping: