• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Almost killed yesterday

quicksigns

speaking of bicycle I'm a trail rider/mountain...or was 10 yrs ago. now with two boys, 12 month and 5yrs, the bikes just been hanging in my garage. Dont want to get rid of them because I always feel that one day I will have time again...

GypsyGraphics

Maybe you shouldn't ride in traffic.
I would suggest finding a safer spot to ride. :smile:

You've got to be kidding!! Did you look at the visual... he was riding exactly where he is (by CA law) suppose to be riding and with the flow of traffic. He sounds like a very experience cyclist.

Problem is you can be following all the rules and still be the victim of a selfish driver who think their right to drive in whatever state of mind or sobriety, is more important than everyone's right to live.

I would hope that once you've nearly killed someone, you'd be shaken up enough to take yourself off the road.

And now I'm going to take it a little to far and piss people off (sorry mosh, if you happen to be in this category)... there's a special place in hell for drunk drivers and anyone else who puts their own convince over the lives of others.

I'd be curious to hear what the outcome is on this lady. Will you be able to find out if her license is revoked? Won't she be obligated to pay for your bike and trip to the hospital?

Should have said this first... Colin, so glad your able be here telling everyone this today and go home to your family at the end of the day... it so easily could have not been the case.

Dan Antonelli

Colin - my endo was exactly same speed -- 22 mph over the left front fender--- ironically, it happened to me in Staten Island right in front of an NYPD precinct. I had blacked out and when I came to, I had about 10 cops staring down at me... Mine was also from an old guy who 'didn't see me'....

Suffered partially torn quad, and hairline hip fracture. Had me off the bike for 6 months. I was 15 at the time, about to start racing junior level... Had me really down - and when I got back on the bike - so much fitness was lost....

cajun312

This might be a stupid question but I see you mention a bike computer and a garmin, do you have a headlight and taillight/brakelight?

TheSnowman

We had an old guy run a stop sign and hit a friend, she's lucky she's alive. Their lawyer asked what they wanted for a settlement, and they said they wanted his license revoked, and that was it...no money. Well, they said they couldn't do that, and got money instead. I think people over 75 should have to take a driving test every couple years. If they can pass it, great...if they don't think they should have to take the test, they are obviously pretty sure they couldn't pass it.

Dan Antonelli

This might be a stupid question but I see you mention a bike computer and a garmin, do you have a headlight and taillight/brakelight?

Not a stupid question - they don't make brake lights for bikes. They do make headlights. Most cyclist who ride at night have blinking LED's off their seatpost in addition to reflective jerseys.

Riding at night is one thing I'm entirely uncomfortable with - and do not do ever.

signmeup

Um, no how bout motorist share the road with us! We actually have the right away.
It's a nice thought Dan but you are in harms way when you're on the road.
Are you going to look up from the ground all bloodied and broken and say,"But I had the right of way!"?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I
Are you going to look up from the ground all bloodied and broken and say,"But I had the right of way!"?

That's exactly the point to all of this. Sure, you might've had the right of way and doing everything by the book, but metal against flesh.... guess who wins everytime. ??

gg.... I'm not against what you're saying, but around here most of the people, kids and adults alike..... cause the majority of problems. I would estimate 90% of all bike riders are clueless when it comes to safety and how to drive defensively. No one has the right of anything. If you believe the rule book on that one, you better think again or get a bigger helmet.

Many years ago, my uncle was driving with my aunt, my cousin and my brother in a car in Florida. A dog darted out from between two parked cars. My uncle could've avoided hitting the dog by going into the oncoming lane, but there were cars coming at him. He decided to still avoid the dog, and slammed into a telephone pole and I believe a wall. Everyone in the car was hurt and banged up pretty bad. My brother had the least problems. My uncle had two broken legs, multiple other injuries and my aunt had some broken bones and lacerations. The dog was spared. I do believe my uncle would've done the same thing for a cyclist, but to think anyone has all the rights and doesn't have to heed the laws is preposterous. I’m not saying Col was doing anything wrong… not at all, but defensive driving for a bicycle is tough when you’re outweighed by about two tons.

It's like any other situation in life.... you have to be aware of your surroundings and both parties failed here. Luckily for Col, he came out good and lucky for the lady she didn't have a heart attack from it.

I know plenty of people that should be re-evaluated for driving licenses and many other areas of life. There’s a plethora of people doing things they shouldn’t be doing…. Heck, just look at all the sign people that shouldn’t even be in this business. We’re always talking about raising the standards so people don’t get hurt by clumsy or half-witted sign shops… what’s the difference ??

People get hurt all the time and it’s usually by the shops that have no clue or don’t know the safety precautions they should in order to operate. Can we open that can of worms ?? I think it fits completely in with this story.

:rolleyes:

d fleming

Do it. You'll feel great, and pollute less. I've been cycling for 20 years without an incident like this, so don't let fear rule.

Appreciate it. Think I'll most likely walk the dog, she's a little chunky since her pups and could use the exercise too!:thumb:

David Wright

I started casual cycling a few years ago and it does open your eyes. I just wish it would open others.
I think it was the golf commentator David Ferahty who has been hit multiple times cycling. That would be it for me.

jiarby

Being right (legally have right to the road) isnt enough. You also have to be smart and realize that there are stupid, careless, and incompetent drivers they behave in unpredictable ways. I am not saying your were not smart.... just that you can be completely right, completely experienced, and wind up completely dead. You have to decide if it is worth the risk, and it is VERY risky.

I am a former cyclist (I was the fat guy off the back in Cat4 crits but liked doing centuries like the "Hotter than Hell Hundred" in Tx way back in the 80's-90's). Just sold my Klein road bike, riding here in AZ will get you killed...but at least on your tombstone you can say "I had the right of way"

Dan Antonelli

Being right (legally have right to the road) isnt enough. You also have to be smart and realize that there are stupid, careless, and incompetent drivers they behave in unpredictable ways. I am not saying your were not smart.... just that you can be completely right, completely experienced, and wind up completely dead. You have to decide if it is worth the risk, and it is VERY risky.

I am a former cyclist (I was the fat guy off the back in Cat4 crits but liked doing centuries like the "Hotter than Hell Hundred" in Tx way back in the 80's-90's). Just sold my Klein road bike, riding here in AZ will get you killed...but at least on your tombstone you can say "I had the right of way"

Yeh who knows which is riskier - 40 mph downhills in a Cat 4 race with 75 guys, or one idiot on the road....

Obviously, varying degrees of risk when cycling. You do your best to minimize them. And yes, being right won't matter if you're dead.

After I went down in April, I questioned a lot about it. I love to race, and with it comes a lot of training, as you know. It's the only exercise I truly love, and I'm not sure I could give it up.

Even in dealing with my injuries (finger fracture gone awry, one surgery down, another to go) - I wasn't sure it was all worth it anymore. I mean I COULD HAVE messed up my right hand (I'm righty) - or many other things COULD HAVE happened. But I also could have been broadsided in my car today and also killed.

You measure the risk, but at the end of the day, in my opinion, no one is guaranteed a tomorrow. You never know...

So yeah, the 50 mph downhills, while once exhilarating for me - aren't so much these days. 40 is plenty :)

jiarby

I almost died once going 54mph downhill (Cedar Hill south of Joe Pool Lake in DFW) on some 18mm continental clinchers when I caught a bug in my face, the front end started shimmying and l almost lost it. I would have been a red pulpy grease spot.

Never had the nerve to go that fast again on those skinny tires!

OldPaint

$5000.00 bike is toast. for that kinda money it could have a motor.........and it woulda got you outa the way!!!!

PGSigns

Glad to here you are OK. I ride a motorcycle to work and every other place I go if I can and even riding a Harley Ultra with all the lights and stuff on it folks still don't see me. On a bicycle you are much less visable and a lot less looked for. Most crashes involving motorcycles that don't involve excessive speed or alcohol involve cars turning left so they are your worst enemy also. Good luck in your adventures on your bike and be careful.
Jimmy