• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alternatives to backlit panel?

Why did you consider my post Hilarious? You wanted cheap. While your trying to figure out tearing down the old sign, rebuilding a new one for $20,000. Or retrofitting for flex faces which cost you money. Renting a lift for new 8' poly panels. You submit your bid to repaint and letter. You need to listen to what the customer wanted, "cheap".

Well, I definitely don't want cheap and the customer is a municipality so even they have no intention of going that cheap. I'm listening to exactly what the customer wants. They want to know if there is another substrate that would be more economical since they don't plan on lighting it. I'd rather just stick to an exact replacement that was intended for the cabinet. Tearing down signs and rebuilding signs are other people's suggestions, not my own and I already suggested that a flex face is a job for someone else, but might be practical and less costly. I wouldn't know. We don't deal with them. I'm not going to do cheap unless cheap is actually feasible and it's looking more and more like it's not.

But seriously, paint them in the middle of January in 30-degree temps? Over the old vinyl graphics no less? Yes, that is both very cheap and likewise also quite hilarious.

If it were me I would have to pans made and letter with regular vinyl to save them a dollar there instead of translucent.

I usually just figure it's easier to duplicate what's already there. With the size being 8 feet in either direction, I'm not sure if that's an option that is readily available to us without freighting it, but that being said, I'll look into this.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I usually just figure it's easier to duplicate what's already there. With the size being 8 feet in either direction, I'm not sure if that's an option that is readily available to us without freighting it, but that being said, I'll look into this.

Don't be afraid of freight. All my pans are shipped from Alabama and freight is only a few hundred bucks

Richard2717

If the old faces are still in it, leave them there and slide .050 aluminum panels in front of it with your graphics already on it. use a good VHB tape(cleaning the existing faces good) to hold them along with some perimeter screws or rivets. There should be enough room for the 050 to fit in the retainer but I would check to make sure.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't you think .050 will wave regardless of tape and some strategically placed screws ?? The panel will flex at a much different rate than the aluminum panels. Could create quite a problem at that size.

Folks, various ideas are great, but when something has a specific use, just because some ideas will work for some sizes or under various conditions, does not mean when you go up to an 8' x 8' size... 20' in the air, that it's still a possibility. You have a responsibility to the integrity of the original design, the customer and your license for doing professional work. Half-baked ideas do not cut it in the real world.
Cripes, why don't ya just use some pillow cases, rope and call it a day ??​

Richard2717

Sign I built and installed. Target & home depot boxes 10'x 10' each .080 metal faces with lexan rear. Originally used lords adhesive that was "supposed" to be made for such situation. Failed within 2 years. Used 3M VHB tape to repair an it lasted over 10 years before the entire sign was taken down in favor of a larger sign due to enlarging the shopping center footprint.
Was it my choice to build in this fashion, No. I would have gone with Flex face for something this large but the customer and his architect insisted on this along with textured surfaces that I disagreed with. Just because I disagreed with it did not mean there was not a solution to it and that is what I came up with to make them happy at that time.

Attachments

• home depot.JPG
    home depot.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 85

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Richard, did you read the OP's original information ?? You have such different elements and conditions, it ain't even funny. He has a single pole, 20' in the air with a double sided 8'x 8' cabinet.
You, practically have a building and I would consider that a single sided sign as to how those pylons are built. I personally have worked on several of those same signs. They are next to indestructible. You can amend it almost anyway ya want. The OP does not have those choices. Besides, you said .050 for him, but you used .080 for yours. Quite a difference, plus a weight factor.

So, again...... like I just said, what might work in one instance is not necessarily gonna work for another one, especially one with such different parameters. You are not comparing equally.

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
Cover the existing flat faces in Cast vinyl and apply cast vinyl lettering or logos to the existing faces...Since the faces won't be back lit
It might have a seam in the vinyl (and the sign faces) but probably not too noticeable 20ft in the air.
Alot cheaper than new faces or aluminum....

Inks

My main objection is that you get what you pay for. I can see polycarbonate lasting 20 years or better, but ACM not so much. This is also about a 20-foot tall sign at its peak and is in a high wind area.
You could possibly use 6mm ACM and should not see much of a delta E shift on the white polyester coating in 10 years.

Cover the existing flat faces in Cast vinyl and apply cast vinyl lettering or logos to the existing faces...Since the faces won't be back lit
It might have a seam in the vinyl (and the sign faces) but probably not too noticeable 20ft in the air.
Alot cheaper than new faces or aluminum....

This is what I'd like to do. However, the existing panels have full coverage graphics. It's green and white, so I'm not sure if they used cut vinyl or if it's printed to match a specific color, but if the vinyl is removable, I'd be all for this.