• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another Win for Texas

binki

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
These comments make me laugh, states don't give money to corporations to open a plant in their state, they only lessen some of the taxes they would have normally collected, because they know if the company decides to go elsewhere, the state gets nothing.
Just like a store coupon isn't welfare, it's being competitive, enticing corporations is also being competitive. We live in a world market now, and these companies can open up anywhere, so we better be competitive.
A state agrees to reduces some taxes:
- The state wins because they collect taxes they wouldn't have gotten, from the company and the employees.
- The residents win because more jobs available drives up wages.
- The area businesses win by supporting the corporation..
And yes the corporations win, but corporations are nothing more than money reservoirs; money comes in and then goes right back
out to either build the company up or as dividends, both of which makes money for stock holders, which could be you without you even know it,
if you have a 401K, Roth, or any other type of multi-fund stock.
So put the infrastructure burden on the backs of the local taxpayers? How's that work in states that don't have state income tax? What tax money are they getting? Most transplant workers bring their 2.5 kids and spouse with them. How much does school cost per head? You guys have had the wool pulled over your eyes.
Giving up tax revenue is giving them money.

Andy D

So put the infrastructure burden on the backs of the local taxpayers? How's that work in states that don't have state income tax? What tax money are they getting? Most transplant workers bring their 2.5 kids and spouse with them. How much does school cost per head? You guys have had the wool pulled over your eyes.
Giving up tax revenue is giving them money.

Ask Detroit how losing the industry and the vast majority of the workers, worked out for them. New industry flushes the whole community, including small businesses, with income
Typically "corporate welfare" is a TEMPORARY measure to offset SOME of the cost of building the offices and warehouses.

Notarealsignguy

Ask Detroit how losing the industry and the vast majority of the workers, worked out for them. New industry flushes the whole community, including small businesses, with income
Typically "corporate welfare" is a TEMPORARY measure to offset SOME of the cost of building the offices and warehouses.
That has nothing to do with this and is not even close to the same. Tell me what tax revenue gets collected from these sorts of deals that covers the added expense from the additional people.
Is it good business to make signs for free for walmart because you'll make money from their employees buying them?
My neighbor got $250k from the county to hire 40 people in a year in addition to other tax deferments to build a new building. They were already established here. These jobs pay $14/hr and our market is super tight. So this big company competes with me and all other full tax paying businesses for the same employees but his head cost is $12/hr for the same guy that I pay $15/hr for. Tell me how this benefits the locals. He pays no property tax, I do. He paid no impact fees, I did. He pays no personal property tax, we do. Why? There's more jobs than workers here.

Notarealsignguy

You're right that it is temporary. Their stay is temporary, once these giveaways run out they threaten to leave if they don't get more. This is the new way to run a large business. It is happening all over

Andy D

Tell me what tax revenue gets collected from these sorts of deals that covers the added expense from the additional people.
The vast majority of their jobs will be filled by local unemployed or people wanting to better themselves... Which will alleviated unemployment cost and/or will add to state income taxes.

Is it good business to make signs for free for walmart because you'll make money from their employees buying them?
Talk about none comparable, the taxes they do collect is free money for the state, it's the same as getting a discount on the "protection" rate charged by the mob.

My neighbor got $250k from the county to hire 40 people in a year in addition to other tax deferments to build a new building. They were already established here.
Was that Covid related?
Was it deferment, which only postpones payment or a credit?
Can you name your county & state?Because that sounds highly unusual, the type of backroom deals politicians use to pad their pockets.

Andy D

You're right that it is temporary. Their stay is temporary, once these giveaways run out they threaten to leave if they don't get more. This is the new way to run a large business. It is happening all over
Wrong, there is no way the little a corporation save on local taxes offsets the costs of shuttering a plant and having to rehire and retrain their whole workforce.
Typically what happens is stupid local politicians try to put the squeeze on them and bury them in stupid regulations.
Which is why plants are leaving liberal states and moving to conservative states.

Notarealsignguy

The vast majority of their jobs will be filled by local unemployed or people wanting to better themselves... Which will alleviated unemployment cost and/or will add to state income taxes.

Talk about none comparable, the taxes they do collect is free money for the state, it's the same as getting a discount on the "protection" rate charged by the mob.

Was that Covid related?
Was it deferment, which only postpones payment or a credit?
Can you name your county & state?Because that sounds highly unusual, the type of backroom deals politicians use to pad their pockets.
No way before covid. I'm not calling out my neighbor and customer nor do I have any reason to make this up. They bought the land long before this. They already have a facility 1 mile away. They weren't going anywhere and had already planned on building which is why they bought the land, so why give them our money? There are a few people on here that know me, they can easily google it and confirm it if you just can't believe it that it's true. I'm not wrong about any of this. Employ the unemployed lol? Were under 4% and can't find workers, it's a huge problem here. Our county and city here is addicted to doing this and there has been talk about them going bankrupt from these failures. They built a gene research facility for a company, they took the money and shuttered it after the incentives ran out. After sitting vacant for years, they leased it to the hospital for $1 a year just to cover maintenance. They built a digital movie studio, guy ran off with incentive money and they auctioned their building that was never even moved into to a church for pennies on the dollar. The city also built an animal testing facility as part of this pie in the sky tech hub they wanted to create. That company also left after the tax incentives stopped. They also just suggested giving county land to Costco to build a store, give like free land. So I'm not sure how you can say I'm wrong when I sit here and watch it happen over and over. Oh wait they also bought land at our local port to create a yacht refurbishing center and leased it to some company that already fleeced the city of boston. Same thing is unfolding with this one.
Forgot this one, they built a civic center for this grand plan of creating a downtown with some Chinese developer. That flopped too. Now the city wants to buy the rest of it from the federal government to attract business.

Last edited:

Andy D

Sorry, I wasn't calling you a liar, from what little I know about you I know you're not...
I was only inferring that there might be more to that story than you're aware.

Andy D

Notarealsignguy
Again, not calling you a liar, but your examples sound like "good-ol-boy" local, crooked politicians doing something to give some friend a gift and/or pad their own pockets. The "corporate welfare" is almost always for large corporations (hence the name). Those deals are made on a state and county level, very transparent, and are open to public debate. The state and counties are almost always required to put in terms that guarantees a return on "investment".

netsol

in new jersey,
property tax deferrments have existed forever. at least since end of world war 2. an employer/turned client of mine purchased/built a large warehouse in 1965. edison, nj gave them 40 year property tax deferment .

they filed bankrupcy in 1987, they had 2300 employees, they operated a convenience store chain. (jobs spread out across the state) many of the stores are still in existence, plus more new ones (different owner, of course)

the point is the jobs still exist, SOMEONE IS PAYING all the other taxes an enterprise of that type pays.

post covid, it will be harder to attract businesses to fill empty buildings and create new jobs.
i expect the new biden admin to listen to all the wrong prople, make all the wrong decisions.

they can just reuse the "1% job growth is the new normal" & "the US is a country in decline" press releases from the second obama term (remember my prediction).

it will be hard to employ all those people setting up windmills and solar panels. perhaps they can "learn to code" like those poor bastards in PA that used to make a good living in fracking, are supposedly going to. i am unclear how much "code" we need to write

the democrat's "teach them to write code" sounds like marie antoinette's "if there is no bread, let them eat cake" updated, 230 years later

Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy
Again, not calling you a liar, but your examples sound like "good-ol-boy" local, crooked politicians doing something to give some friend a gift and/or pad their own pockets. The "corporate welfare" is almost always for large corporations (hence the name). Those deals are made on a state and county level, very transparent, and are open to public debate. The state and counties are almost always required to put in terms that guarantees a return on "investment".
I don't live in a "good ole boy" area and this sort of thing is happening all over. Explain to me crystal city va giving amazon the farm to set up shop there. Or what about this: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/dec/08/wisconsin-foxconn-factory-residents-displaced
You really don't know what you're talking about with any of this because this is not how it happens on the local, state or federal level. As for returns, all of what happened here promised big returns and it never came. The government is also not a business. It is there to provide essential services and should not be using tax money to invest in individual business in hopes of getting a return. That's not their role.

204SignGuy

Assistant to the Regional Manager
As a business I don't pay those taxes. I either pass it along as a cost of doing business or I go broke.

Most businesses do this, whether they realize it or not. Studies consistently show that higher corporate taxes are almost entire passed on to the customer or to cuts/freezes in employee wages.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Texas doesn't have income tax...but we do have a rather high annual property tax rate.. some places are almost 3% a year. Which is fine, its still my choice to live in a smaller house and pay less, or a larger house a pay more. Most people buy as much as they can so they pay.

Reveal1

The first civil war was the North vs the South, will this one be the Middle vs the East & West?
Yes, the first one was about liberating a class of people from institutional slavery. Once we lose our right to free speech, religious expression, and independent thought another form of slavery will exist.
Texas doesn't have income tax...but we do have a rather high annual property tax rate.. some places are almost 3% a year. Which is fine, its still my choice to live in a smaller house and pay less, or a larger house a pay more. Most people buy as much as they can so they pay.
Just the opposite here in MO. High income tax (5%) and relatively low property taxes depending on location. Like your method better. Taxation at local level gives you more say in how its levied and spent. Get's ridiculous and you can always move to next town. Sales tax also tends to be higher where there is low income tax or low property taxes. They're going to get it one way or the other.

signage

I think mars is somewhere in west Texas

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars,_Texas

No it's in PA

upload_2020-12-10_13-44-8.png

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Who knew? apparently there is one in California too. I found this list: (does not include TX though)

Number of places named Mars per country:
There are 13 places named Mars in Russian Federation.

There are 6 places named Mars in France.

There are 3 places named Mars in Ukraine.

There are 3 places named Mars in Germany.

There are 2 places named Mars in America.

There are 2 places named Mars in Haiti.

There is one place named Mars in Turkey.

There is one place named Mars in Finland.

There is one place named Mars in Czech Republic.

There is one place named Mars in Belarus.

There is one place named Mars in Australia.

There is one place named Mars in Austria.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If Toad were still around this thread would of been shutdown by now. Without him, we turn political talk into the number of places named Mars.

I like this better.