• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any computer gurus out there?

phototec

Any computer gurus out there?

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 running Windows XP with a Core 2 Duo processor, worked fine yesterday.

This morning it will not start-up, freezes at the DELL screen, will not allow F2=SETUP or F12=BOOT MENU, just stuck on the Dell BIOS screen.

I have Norton Ghost, and in the past I made back up files and a recovery disk, however, I can't get the computer to read the disk, will not do anything, just stuck at the BIOS screen (see photo).

Called Norton, they had me try to restart and tap on the delete key, tried many times to restart holding the F2 or F12, nothing stuck in the Dell BIOS screen.

Norton tech says the BIOS is corrupted and I need to open the computer and reset the BIOS on the mother board?.

I don't know how to do that, can anyone offer any help or suggestions?

Thanks

Attachments

• Sceen shot 1-22-2013.jpg
    Sceen shot 1-22-2013.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 76

JoeBoomer

I would try taking the CMOS battery out and re-insert it. That may be an easy fix before switching jumpers, etc. Def. sounds like a BIOS or motherboard issue and not other hardware / software as it isn't even getting to that stage.

Keep us updated.

SignBurst PCs

I would try taking the CMOS battery out and re-insert it. That may be an easy fix before switching jumpers, etc. Def. sounds like a BIOS or motherboard issue and not other hardware / software as it isn't even getting to that stage.

Keep us updated.

This may be the easiest. I would unplug the system , remove the battery, wait a few minutes, then re-install the battery. You may or may not have to make a few BIOS setting changes afterward.

phototec

:thankyou:Hey guys, thanks for the help, while waiting for a reply did a google search (Love Google), anyway I found a link that said to unplug everything form the computer, and press the POWER button and hold it for 15 seconds, this sometimes will reset the BIOS. Then connect only the monitor, mouse and keyboard and re-start.

I followed the instructions and my computer started up, it paused at the DELL screen as it did before, and then went on the normal start-up, Holly Cow, it's fixed, it is a small miracle.

Taking nothing away from your suggestion, I truly thank you for you help, I would have been doing those suggestions next. This is always so scary, never know when your computer is going to be dead for sure.

Last month I had another scare with the same computer, and Casey Yonemura helped me out of that mess, the computer was locked up and when ever I tried to go into SAFE MODE to do a SYSTEM RESTORE, the screen would go blank, so could not proceed, I was having a He-__ of a time, when Casey suggested I try a different monitor.

The problem last time was I have a after market graphics card installed, and when you go into SAFE MODE to restore the computer to a previous date, the graphics card is not used and when I plugged the 22" monitor into the on-board graphics card, it was out of range, so the screen was blank. Anyway, I was baffled and didn't know what to do, after Casey told me to change monitors, I used a smaller 19" monitor and it was in the normal range and the monitor worked, I could then go into SAFE MODE, set SYSTEM RESTORE to a previous date, and bingo, the problem was fixed.

Thanks again

phototec

This may be the easiest. I would unplug the system , remove the battery, wait a few minutes, then re-install the battery. You may or may not have to make a few BIOS setting changes afterward.

Hey Casey thanks for your suggestion.

I wanted to send you a PM, however after you bailing me out last month,

I didn't want to over due asking you for more help.

I guess unplugging the computer and holding down the power button for 15 seconds on the Dell computer is doing the same thing as removing the battery.

BTW: The Dell computer was built in 2007, how long does the typical battery on the mother board last?

Could it be getting weak and causing problems?

:thankyou:

SignBurst PCs

No problem. I am glad that you got it worked out.

To answer your question, yes, it is possible that a week or dead battery could cause problems. At 5-6 years, that battery may be getting a little old.

Mike F

Glad you made out OK, and thanks for posting the solution when you got it figured out, I'm usually pretty good with this stuff and this one had me stumped. One more trick to add to the bag.

Doc Savage

BTW: The Dell computer was built in 2007, how long does the typical battery on the mother board last?

Could it be getting weak and causing problems?

:thankyou:

Every computer hardware class I have ever had said 5 years and the battery will start to degrade. I would look at replacing it if it is not soldered to the motherboard.

SqueeGeeMonkee

Pull the ram and reseat it My dell 8400 would do that at times it was the ram

Works most of the time. changing the battery would help too, its a CR3032.
Also if the problem persists the ram cards may have gone. New ones are pretty cheap. i think it's ddr2? Also check your diagnostic lights on the back. the Dell site will give you the codes.

Mike F

bnow that your up and running again remove all that NORTON junk off computer

I agree, get rid of Norton... but definitely replace it with something like Avast, or even Microsoft Security Essentials if they have that for XP. Unless a particular computer will never, ever be connected to the internet or have customer, employee, or owner supplied removable media inserted (basically any burned CDs or DVDs, external hard drives, SD/media cards, or thumb drives that have ever been attached to another internet-connected computer, etc.), you want at least basic virus protection. Call me paranoid but if a virus can spread to top-secret nuclear facilities in Iran then it can spread to your computer too.

phototec

Hey everyone, thanks for ALL the good tips, as stated above I did change out the battery on the mother board and that reset the BIOS and the computer will start up, but now there is another problem, ever since I installed the new battery, when the computer starts up, It stops with a black screen saying "Diskette drive 0 seek failure" (see attached photo). And gives me two options F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup. When I select F1 the computer continues on and starts up, but it's annoying because every time it starts up, it stops on the "Diskette drive 0 seek failure" screen.

When I select F2 and go to the setup screen, I was NOT sure what to change, I asked Casey what to do and he suggested I change the FIRST BOOT Device from Removable to CD, leave Second Boot Device at Hard Drive, and change Third Boot Device to Removable. I made the changes, however the issue was NOT fixed, every time I start up, I still get the same message: "Diskette drive 0 seek failure".

Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions to cure this "Diskette drive 0 seek failure" issue?

Thanks

Attachments

• Diskette drive 0 seek failure.jpg
    Diskette drive 0 seek failure.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Setup screen.jpg
    Setup screen.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Boot Device Config 2.jpg
    Boot Device Config 2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 76

SignBurst PCs

It is trying to boot from a Floppy Drive first and that is not going to work. Depending on the age of the BIOS, there may be a separate setting regarding booting from the floppy first. Find it and disable it.

In the photos, your first boot device is still "Removable". I would put the CD/DVD first, then hard disk, then removable.

phototec

It is trying to boot from a Floppy Drive first and that is not going to work. Depending on the age of the BIOS, there may be a separate setting regarding booting from the floppy first. Find it and disable it.

In the photos, your first boot device is still "Removable". I would put the CD/DVD first, then hard disk, then removable.

Casey, the photos are the BEFORE, I have made the changes you suggested. I will look for the FLOPPY FIRST as you suggest.

Thanks