• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any ideas on how to speed up.......

SignManiac

Latex paints? I use a lot of premium exterior latex paints and especially dark colors. I like the durability and color fastness of it but the problem is the dry time. Does anyone know of any additives or other tricks to get it to cure faster? I've heard the old timer would piss in it, but I don't think I want to go that route...

Thanks in advance.

Bigdawg

Just Me
C'mon... what's wrong with giving a little of yourself for the job :smile:

I too would be interested to know if there is anything to speed it up..

Sticky Signs

You can buy infrared paint dryers. They work pretty good. I'm sure your paint supplier could tell you where to get them. some latex paints can take up to 3 months to fully cure.

signmeup

oil based enamel for everything, unless you like your paint flaking and scraping off
Funny... I find the exact opposite to be true. I wouldn't paint one of my hand carved signs with an oil based paint. Not even if you offered the paint for free.

signmeup

Bob, nothing speeds up latex paint like the Sun. I use a fan to keep the air moving if it's indoors. I found Ben Moore Aura to take the longest to cure of any paint I have tried. It seemed to stay tacky for ever. A real pain when you are gilding something. The gold stuck to it like it was sized. I won't use it again.

I prefer Pittsburgh Sun Proof for it's fast cure rate and it seems to cover really well too.

SignManiac

Thanks Adrian. You are right about the sun, heat and fans. I have to be careful down here in Florida. I've tried to speed up the dry time by setting my pieces out in the sun. The problem with that is dark colors can get so hot, the heat will warp my panels and that becomes a problem when I'm carving anything on the table. Even with a strong vacuum hold down, it doesn't take much to mess with my v-carved lettering.

I have a large paint booth that gets pretty hot and I run fans during the drying process. It seems to be about the only thing I've found so far that works. I guess I'll just have to wait until the manufacturers develop a catylized latex paint system...

signmeup

They paint cars with water based paints up here now. Maybe check that out.
What brand of latex are you using btw?

Mosh

I don't use alot of latex, but I know in our sray booth the more air flo and heat the faster emamel cures out.

signmeup

You could also try using flat latex and then clear coat it if you need a gloss. Flat latex dries really fast. I do this all the time. Flat covers better too.

Mosh

We put cure-x in or solvent paint and with heat it is dry to letter in 4 hours..just saying....

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Since latex is essentially water, how about using a dehumidifier? Dry air is the best sponge.
JB

SignManiac

we've always painted carved signs with one shot which is oil for years. Whats wrong with that?

1-Shot no longer is any good. I learned to letter with 1-shot thirty six years ago and stopped using it about ten years ago. Unless you use an automotive clear coat, it turns to chalk in two years here in Florida. Once they took the lead out, it became garbage.