Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any ideas on how to speed up.......

Discussion in 'Materials' started by SignManiac, Apr 12, 2011.

1. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Latex paints? I use a lot of premium exterior latex paints and especially dark colors. I like the durability and color fastness of it but the problem is the dry time. Does anyone know of any additives or other tricks to get it to cure faster? I've heard the old timer would **** in it, but I don't think I want to go that route...

Thanks in advance.

Tags:
  2. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    C'mon... what's wrong with giving a little of yourself for the job :smile:

I too would be interested to know if there is anything to speed it up..

3. SignManiac

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
  4. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    I'm assuming Japan Drier would be a bad idea for latex paint....

5. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    You can buy infrared paint dryers. They work pretty good. I'm sure your paint supplier could tell you where to get them. some latex paints can take up to 3 months to fully cure.

6. LavelleSign

LavelleSign Member

May 3, 2009
    oil based enamel for everything, unless you like your paint flaking and scraping off

7. LavelleSign

LavelleSign Member

May 3, 2009
    also use japan drier to speed up the curing process, i usually use it during the winter.

8. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Funny... I find the exact opposite to be true. I wouldn't paint one of my hand carved signs with an oil based paint. Not even if you offered the paint for free.

9. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Bob, nothing speeds up latex paint like the Sun. I use a fan to keep the air moving if it's indoors. I found Ben Moore Aura to take the longest to cure of any paint I have tried. It seemed to stay tacky for ever. A real pain when you are gilding something. The gold stuck to it like it was sized. I won't use it again.

I prefer Pittsburgh Sun Proof for it's fast cure rate and it seems to cover really well too.

10. SignManiac

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Thanks Adrian. You are right about the sun, heat and fans. I have to be careful down here in Florida. I've tried to speed up the dry time by setting my pieces out in the sun. The problem with that is dark colors can get so hot, the heat will warp my panels and that becomes a problem when I'm carving anything on the table. Even with a strong vacuum hold down, it doesn't take much to mess with my v-carved lettering.

I have a large paint booth that gets pretty hot and I run fans during the drying process. It seems to be about the only thing I've found so far that works. I guess I'll just have to wait until the manufacturers develop a catylized latex paint system...

11. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    They paint cars with water based paints up here now. Maybe check that out.
    What brand of latex are you using btw?

12. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    I don't use alot of latex, but I know in our sray booth the more air flo and heat the faster emamel cures out.

13. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    You could also try using flat latex and then clear coat it if you need a gloss. Flat latex dries really fast. I do this all the time. Flat covers better too.

14. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    We put cure-x in or solvent paint and with heat it is dry to letter in 4 hours..just saying....

15. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    thinner coats will do it. Thin coat will dry very fast. But you have to do it twice.

16. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Since latex is essentially water, how about using a dehumidifier? Dry air is the best sponge.
    JB

17. LavelleSign

LavelleSign Member

May 3, 2009
    we've always painted carved signs with one shot which is oil for years. Whats wrong with that?

18. SignManiac

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Always use two to three thin coats and sand between. Takes longer but the finish looks better and is more durable.

19. SignManiac

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Just talked about a dehumidifier the other day. Going to give that a shot too.

20. SignManiac

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida

1-Shot no longer is any good. I learned to letter with 1-shot thirty six years ago and stopped using it about ten years ago. Unless you use an automotive clear coat, it turns to chalk in two years here in Florida. Once they took the lead out, it became garbage.