• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any ideas on how to speed up.......

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We don't use much in the way of latex paints, but just about for any paint the real deal is air flow with the least amount of humidity.

We have fans all over the place and we turn them on and might up the thermostat in the winter time. We also have exhaust fans which helps get rid of some of the humidity, but it always seems like we're sucking more in anyway.

The trick with the sun is to let your panel out for a short time and then bring them in so they don't dry too much on the surface creating like a shell. we often times will put them outside and shade thwe panels with something. The dry moving air is the best thing, regardless of what flavor of paint you're using.

For those......
Jap drier is for oil based paints

signmeup

we've always painted carved signs with one shot which is oil for years. Whats wrong with that?
Nothing wrong with using whatever you want. Your original post insinuated that those of us who used latex paint would have flaking, scraped(?) signs. What I've seen of One Shot painted signs around here is that they fade like the stuff is designed to fade.

Do a little test and see which paint you end up using. Paint some of your favorite oil based paint on something it won't stick to like polyethelene. Do the same with some latex paint. Now peel off both samples and see which stretches the best. I think you'll find that latex stretches like a rubber sheet compared to the oil based. Which one do you think will keep from cracking on a sign that goes from 95+ degrees in the summer to minus 30 in the Winter?

signmeup

Bob, have you tried flat latex? I think we have a similar climate to you guys except it's not as hot here. It's just about as damp as you can get though. Anyway... try the flat latex/clearcoat. I think you'll be pleased.

I use Flecto Varathane clear finish over the flat. The stuff is clear as water so it doesn't change the colour one bit. I've got it on signs going on 6 years and it still looks like new.

Techman

the humidity up here is very low compared to florida. Paint dries very fast here. Especially latex.

SignManiac

Bob, have you tried flat latex? I think we have a similar climate to you guys except it's not as hot here. It's just about as damp as you can get though. Anyway... try the flat latex/clearcoat. I think you'll be pleased.

I use Flecto Varathane clear finish over the flat. The stuff is clear as water so it doesn't change the colour one bit. I've got it on signs going on 6 years and it still looks like new.

Never considered flat, but I like that idea. HD now sells sample paint colors by the pint in flat colors, and often that is all I need to paint just a few letters or a small panel. They sell for $3.00 instead of $15.00 for the quarts I normally buy.

I've been using a lot of gloss water based clear shield with great results.. I don't see why that wouldn't work over the flat? Sounds like a great solution!

petrosgraphics

+3 on flat latex for your base coats.. a good paint store will tint the color to

match the finish color... then apply a finish coat, soft gloss, low lustre, or what have

you..... the finish just takes a little time to cure...

mrchips

I use Jay Cooke primer tinted heavly with Black Artists Acrylics.....dark gray. Brush and roll primer (this is on HDU). Wait six hours. (The sign is placed at the exhaust end of a dehumidifier @ 60degrees or more, this supplies the dry air and fan.)

Brush and roll a coat of Ben Moore, Moorglo, Soft Gloss. That's day one.

Next morning......repeat above. wait 24 hrs. (That's day two)

The Moorglo IS sticky!

Same method as above but with BM Aura semigloss.....wait 24 hrs. (That's day three) For me at least, the Aura is Not sticky.

Then I mask, carve, 2 primer coats on the letters. That's day four.

Next morning,sand letters and apply 2 coats 1Shot with hardner. Gild with fast size in the afternoon.

Ship it.

The only time I sand is the primer coats.

Werks fer me..............

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!