• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

anyone buy a printer from matt c?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If Robert can really make things right with everyone, I nominate his company for consideration as deserving the first annual signs101 merchant scholarship.
Of course, I'm in no position to volunteer Fred's money to pay for that... but it's an easy idea to lob out there from the peanut gallery.

Doug ... I thought you had given up skunk weed.
dragon01.gif

Matt Cuellar

To all of the S101 members:

I first want to apologize for the stress and questions that have arisen from my dealings at Unica digital. I also want to thank Fred for reinstating me on this forum to allow me to discuss:

I had a ValueJet deal go sour about 4 months ago due to lack of attention. Instead of letting Robert know up front, I panicked and tried to cover my tracks. That has left me with about 5 deals that have cost Unica digital and myself tremendous amounts of money. The burden and stress I caused has been a lot to bear. Unfortunately word got out quicker than the facts and since I was in Chicago on a plane, I had no way to discuss the situation until now.

Before I say anything, I must make it clear that all actions were a reflection of my personal choices, not Unica digital. Robert had no insight into my dealings. Unica digital is a phenomenal company with excellent support and service which many people can attest to, and I do not want Unica digital judged based on my bad judgement and inability to confront my mistakes when they happened. As stated by Robert Welch, all equipment sold through Unica digital will be fully supported through Unica digital.

I also want you to know that after a lengthy meeting w/Robert, his wife, and my wife, I am still an employee of Unica digital, and we have personally come to a settlement based on recent transactions.

I am not justifying my actions in any sort of the way, but I will say there is no other company dedicated to your growth and success than Unica digital. Many of you have attested to our expertise in color management, profiling, and truly understanding the world of digital printing. I ask that you not penalize or slander the company for my wrongdoings. For some of you, this might be the end of business with me, and that I understand. But I hope that through time, I can build up your trust and confidence in me as a person more than anything.

Regards

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Awww..... you fixed everything. Now we don't have anyone to rip apart

Where's Rog when you need 'em ??

Well done everyone. I for one am happy to hear all is 'Hunky-Dory' in print land and let's all learn from the professionalism these people have displayed. One mistake should not tarnish your record for very long.

What kind of deals can we expect in the future ?? :wink:

ChiknNutz

So...free ValuJets for everyone....yeah, let's hear it for Unica...HIP HIP HOORAY!

Kidding aside, thanks for some insight Matt. Although my limted view from here lacks the depth of the situation, I truly hope you begin to understand the high amount of grace that has been shown you.

I don't know Matt or Robert from Unica Digital, but both of their posts sound very genuine. It's nice to hear that both are trying to rectify the situation and make sure that the customers involved in purchasing equipment aren't penalized because of the situation.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It seems as if Unica Digital has the right to expect full payment, regardless of what was done unknowingly by a company representative, but on the other hand, they now have a captive audience so to speak...

Not a chance.

The apparatus is responsible for its representatives. If I were quoted a price by a bonafide sales weenie from some outfit, money changes hands, merchandise is delivered, then I damn well expect them to live up to their employee's representations. It means nothing to me if the employee were robbing them blind. Not my problem.

If I bought something and then received a bill for more than I agreed to pay, the sky would be dark with airplanes carrying scum sucking lawyers coming to drive that merchant into the sea.

Pro Image

Of all the threads that I have read on this board about problems we face, The replys from Both Matt C. and his Boss are about the best I have seen..........

I am glad the problems are setteled and everything will get better........

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A-hem.........

It seems as if Unica Digital has the right to expect full payment, regardless of what was done unknowingly by a company representative, but on the other hand, they now have a captive audience so to speak.

I guess the big question is… do you pay for what you are about to use…. or does the company pick up the tab for an illegal act by one of its own and honor the deal which is in ‘Black and White’ ??

bob from earth.... if you would've read the next sentence, you would've realized I had already said what you wrote with other words. Was mine too hard for you to understand ?? :Big Laugh

Last edited:
I am glad the problems are settled and everything will get better........

Says who? As far as I can see, nothing is settled. The only thing that has occurred is that Unica and Matt C have come to an agreement/arrangement of sorts, all which are nobody's business.

Nevertheless, I will go out and be the black sheep (or even the ass****e) about what transpired. You see, I have faced a similar situation, on Roberts side of the table (11 years ago, to the tune of 100+). Regrettably, I went what appears to be Robert's route. To this day, I still have a bad taste in my mouth for the thievery and misplaced trust.

I even find it somewhat appalling that my former employee believes that everything is "hunk-dory", just as Matt seems to be. Regardless of what happened with his original screw-up (and we all do make mistakes), Instead of just owning up, Matt chose a deceitful route for a remedy AND a route that put both Unica and some customers in a very awkward position (even though Bob is 100% correct about any possible recourse).

While I have never had a any dealings with either, I do know that Robert has placed all kinds of blood and sweat, and even risked lots to build his business - JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER BUSINESS OWNER HERE.The way I view it, the actions of deceit is not only thievery, but also an insult to all of us.

Ironically, calling Unica (for material pricing) was on my "to do" list. I did not do so due what recently transpired. I will place it on my list in the future BUT I will not deal with Matt. If he was able to bite the hand the was feeding him, what is he capable of doing to me and my business? NO THANK YOU!

It is good to see that Robert and Matt have come to some kind of arrangement, but the damage is much more far reaching, and already done. Call me harsh or what you will, but having been in a similar situation I find no room for forgiveness or trust.

My grandfather used to say that "mankind lost its self-respect when the word sorry was invented". Basically it means that many assume that the word sorry will fix everything. In reality it does no good for the guy that was intentionally just hit in head with a baseball bat. Simple as that.

To Robert - As a business owner I am sorry to hear about what happened. We wish you all the luck in recovering your hard-earned investment/funds (hopefully somebody brought you a big fat check - but that is nobody's business either).

jdb

Matt, I hope you take this gracious opportunity you've been given by a man of great character and work harder than you ever have. I think you will. We've all made are mistakes. Good luck. Thanks Robert for the wise example, you obviously care about everyone involved.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
bob from earth.... if you would've read the next sentence, you would've realized I had already said what you wrote with other words. Was mine too hard for you to understand ?? :Big Laugh

I should think not. You posed a question as if it were some big moral turning point. There is no question, none, nada, zip, zero. A business cannot seek additional payment from a customer because it was, or merely feels that it was, hosed by one of its employees.

One doesn't have to be uncaring or unfeeling to refuse to carry someone else's burden. Most have their own nest of problems to manage, taking on anyone else's, for whatever reason, is silly.

gvgraphics

I should think not. You posed a question as if it were some big moral turning point. There is no question, none, nada, zip, zero. A business cannot seek additional payment from a customer because it was, or merely feels that it was, hosed by one of its employees.

One doesn't have to be uncaring or unfeeling to refuse to carry someone else's burden. Most have their own nest of problems to manage, taking on anyone else's, for whatever reason, is silly.

Bob, He asked a simple question. For once in your life quit trying to read more into things than there is. Every damn post you make you are up some ones A$$. Do us all a favor, push the power button on your pc, go to the closet and get the box, put it in your car and return it before you hurt yourself!!!

Robertw

Matts penality and grace

Forgivness comes from the hand of God, I can only be a servant and walk a path as best I can based on the "Word".
Not simple, not easy but the better of the feelings come through this action. We work to resolve problems not blow them away.

Matt's apology is not only words from a man who truly is shameful of his actions. It is much more and not at all a free ride with just verbs and adjectives to cure the hurt and pain. There is a penalty and it will cost Matt dearly. He has agreed to pay back the lost income to Unica digital under an agreement we hammered out early this am.

By the way,not once did the word "laywer" come into play but if any of you would look into this with the depth required you would see that a recourse is available to the company through legal means. Terms and descriptions go beyond my understanding but the firm that represents our company has determined there would be an avenue to collect the losses. For $275.00 per hour you could discuss this with my attorney. We are not going to do this but as a business owner I needed to cover all bases and it's good knowledge to know that if this were to happen to any of you, and it has, there is a recourse not a dead end.

For anyone who knew the deal was to good to be true!

...play with this. A woman comes to your door, you open it and notice she is well dressed and quite lovely. She offers to sell you the red cadillac thats parked outside on your curb. It's a classic and a real beauty.
She represent a Cadillac dealership and needs money to go back to New York and offers to sell this classic for $4000.00. You think to yourself, how stupid she is, this car is worth at least $12K, something seems fishy but you can't pass up the deal and write her a check for $12K. In your quickness to get a deal you forget to cross your T's and dot your I's. Your inner self was tricked by the greed that surfaced and you knew it, but selfishness became dominate to your common sense.

The car was stolen, you took ownership from a fraud who represented the product through unethical means. The fool was fooled but couldn't pass on the deal.

The words may seem harsh but the reality for the few who took advantage surely know the feeling in their hearts.

Done.

gvgraphics

For anyone who knew the deal was to good to be true!

...play with this. A woman comes to your door, you open it and notice she is well dressed and quite lovely. She offers to sell you the red cadillac thats parked outside on your curb. It's a classic and a real beauty.
She represent a Cadillac dealership and needs money to go back to New York and offers to sell this classic for $4000.00. You think to yourself, how stupid she is, this car is worth at least $12K, something seems fishy but you can't pass up the deal and write her a check for $12K. In your quickness to get a deal you forget to cross your T's and dot your I's. Your inner self was tricked by the greed that surfaced and you knew it, but selfishness became dominate to your common sense.

The car was stolen, you took ownership from a fraud who represented the product through unethical means. The fool was fooled but couldn't pass on the deal.

The words may seem harsh but the reality for the few who took advantage surely know the feeling in their hearts.

Done.

I have to disagree with you trying to push blame to your customers. They were made an offer by a legit sales person you employed, it is not there fault he scammed you, they kept their part of the deal and made the payment as agreed, it was your employee who wrote the deal shady. If anyone needs to take the fall with Matt it is you Robert for not paying attention to what was being sold and how it was being sold by your company.

Your last few responses I have gave great applaud to for being a stand up man, but this last part of your post sounds as if you want to take the blame from Matt's shoulders and place it on your customers for TRUSTING and BELIEVING in Matt!!!

Sorry if this comes off wrong, but I truly believe your last post is out of line.

onesource

Well I checked out thier website to learn a little more about Art Unica and it looks as if RW has worked hard to create a legit business and I don't believe he would want it comprimised in any way. We build businesses to make a living and I believe that reaching out to correct a problem is alot better than doing nothing. Just make sure communication is clear and contracted properly.

Robertw

A moral question

This is a moral question that you perhaps need to look into for yourself.

Am I placing blame on "clients"? Read the previous replies and see none of that. We all need to be aware and care for each other. I know this isn't the case because many fall into the category of thinking their way is the only way.

What a different world it would be if we looked out for each other and not just ourselves.

And by the way, if you look at Matts notice in this forum about a used or demo printer, you will see no mention of a company. So if the demo was sold and this was transmitted to anyone from a personal email and a personal cell phone # then when offered a new unit for the same price......as my attorney states, no client has the right to take advantage due to an obvious mistake. For instance: if the lowest price you find online is $1000.00 for X then perhaps the dealer selling the same item for $500 has made a "mistake on their proposal". As several have stated in their replies, the deal seemed to good to be true. There is a ton on legal ease on this very subject. Since the deals are completed the ability to prove this is much more complex.

I did make an error in my previous reply, his rate is $325.00 per hour.

Your law lesson for the day.

RW

Robertw

We all learn life daily

So what have I learned.
Revise the small print on each proposal and invoice.
Double check all details of the sale.
Make certain all my T's are crossed.
Have a better procedure in place for all out of region sales.
Communicate, communicate and communicate again.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
While I can appreciate what you’re saying [writing] Robertw, there seems to be a pattern developing here and I hope I’m wrong. When talking about these deals and those who said this or that…. it’s really none of our business because we’re not going to settle anything for you. Besides, we don’t all have the complete story and as far as I’m concerned…. I don’t want to hear it. It’s none of my business…. only the people involved. I want to know the results so I know where and how to deal with certain companies or individuals, but I’m not on the jury. You’ve told us what you’re going to do and whether any of us, some of us or none us agree or disagree with your findings, nothing will change. So why are you beating a dead horse here ?? Damage control is one thing, but preaching about how moral you and your company are… tends to make me think there is more to this story now. Again, I hope I’m wrong, but me thinkst thou protesteth too much.

Bottom line, regardless who sold the stolen merchandise, who accepted and for whatever reasons… there is a 'Black & White' copy of everything that has transpired and whether your lawyer costs $5. or $500 an hour, you’re the one that retains him…. not us. So if you didn’t need to say that dirty word in your am talks, why are you bringing it up so much now ??

You and your company have just gone through a lot of crap…. so relax, it’s the weekend and come back to this next week and tell us… ‘the rest of the story’ as Paul Harvey says………..

Status
Not open for further replies.