• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone have homemade racks under their printer to keep prints off the ground?

J

john1

Seen this on another forum and was wondering if anyone knew where to get these basket type racks at and if anyone had their own homemade ones.

Looking to keep the prints off the floor when doing medium-long runs. I did a 18' graphic not too long ago and boy was that fun lol

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC01628.jpg
    DSC01628.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 74

kirkbedtelyon

Before we received our take up roller, we would vac the floor in front of the printer and then place a piece of scrap card stock on the floor. Then roll the print up on a tube on the floor. Now I just pause the print and connect the graphic to the take up roller when it gets to that level.

Clear Choice

I would think you could rig something simple up with
the vinyl coated closet shelving sold at most big box
hardware stores. It comes in different widths flat or
with turned edges.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
On the front side we have a ReelPRO with a piece of scrap vinyl as a leader.
On the back side we made a wide trough out of two 54'' material boxes.

We cut away one flap on each, cut the one side of each and taped the thing together. Not pretty but it does work well. Keep it vacuumed out and dusted.

Kevin-shopVOX

Seen this on another forum and was wondering if anyone knew where to get these basket type racks at and if anyone had their own homemade ones.

Looking to keep the prints off the floor when doing medium-long runs. I did a 18' graphic not too long ago and boy was that fun lol

Thanks!

I made this one for my machine. Crude but effective. Brackets were like $12 each at Home Depot zip tied to leg with double stick tape. 1" dowel works perfect.

Attachments

• 2011-02-21 14.27.29.jpg
    2011-02-21 14.27.29.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 73
hey redball, whats the reelpro like? i've seen it advertised and on youtube, but always wanted to know from someone who actually uses it week in week out.

threeputt

We use a simple hand crank take-up mounted to the front of the machine.

I'm impressed with the motorized versions, just haven't got around to it.

By the way, I see you buy artwork from Aurora.

Patentagosse

hey redball, whats the reelpro like? i've seen it advertised and on youtube, but always wanted to know from someone who actually uses it week in week out.

My ReelPro came with the printer as "freebie". Works nicely with my VS-540. It's just a "clutch" system that keeps the tension. The only con I could tell is it doesn't stops by itself so for overnight printings, the "clutch" will spin all night long after the printer stops. Nothing's perfect...

Gene@mpls

If I may ask.....what do you do with all those cardboard inner core pieces.?

They are 30" cores that go on my homemade winder- I would take them off
after they were wound and uncoil a bit and let dry that way. Now I have a
InfraRed heater and vinyl goes directly to the laminator normally. We don't
use as much 30" media as we did- more 54" unless there will be a lot of
waste.

Looking again at the pict- that is quite old- now the winder is powered with a BBQ rotisserie motor and triggered with a
motion detector- I will have to post some new picts.

sfr table hockey

Thanks!

Those are racks or bins you would find used as shelving for stores that sell pillows, bedding stuff. May find a retail store that does not use them anymore that may sell them. In my past life I managed a clothing store.

Now if you want to go one step further and build a takeup reel you can for $20 or less and it is working great today. I now use 15 lbs of weight but the thing works.

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55990&highlight=home+made+takeup+reel

cartoad

I've never been convinced that the prints either vinyl or banners were dry enough for us to roll up, so we use a small plastic saw horse, sometimes two or three, with a pole taped to the top of them. We just move things out of the road and take the print out strait. Longest banner to date 70' (yea, lots of prayers as it gets close to the end!)

anotherdog

I have a couple of ikea clothes racks with a 6 inch tube on the top, not really needed for adhesive, but great for banner. Also good for outgassing and just draping stuff over to keep the table free.

I think one of my winter projects will be a catcher for when I'm cutting vinyl though.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
If you have a dead hp 5500 you could always grab the print catcher from that think and with a little modding have a high quality catch. Also, I've seen people who have taken some of the chinese plotters that are dead and removing the roller track from it as a basis of their catch on their printer. really just some nice spring steel formed to act as the dowel to the fabric attached to the frame would do nicely as well.