• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyway out of jury duty due to our business?

J

john1

Hey everyone. Today i got the dreaded letter to report for jury duty next month.

Now all BS set aside, i'm getting married on the 22nd and it starts the 20th.

Do you think i can be excused due to that week being fitting for tux, marriage and honey moon? I have never done this before so i'm totally upset about having to do it that week.

Also, you cannot have any cell phones or anything with you from 9:15-4:30 and i need to be there for my customers. Do you think i can be excused due to my work schedule?

They only pay a lousy $20.00 per day so it is a waste of my time IMO.

Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It can't interfere with your making a living if this is your sole means of income.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Hey everyone. Today i got the dreaded letter to report for jury duty next month.

Now all BS set aside, i'm getting married on the 22nd and it starts the 20th.

Do you think i can be excused due to that week being fitting for tux, marriage and honey moon? I have never done this before so i'm totally upset about having to do it that week.

Also, you cannot have any cell phones or anything with you from 9:15-4:30 and i need to be there for my customers. Do you think i can be excused due to my work schedule?

They only pay a lousy $20.00 per day so it is a waste of my time IMO.

Thanks!

You might or might not have some traction with the marriage thing but the court most likely doesn't give a rat's ass about your business problems.

Whatever you do, don't tell them you think it's a waste of time, which it's not. Besides, there's a lot of miles between being summoned and actually being selected. Many are called, few are chosen.

Techman

Ive been chosen several times. However, I never had to stay longer than a couple of hours.
They do not care about a business.
They do care about kids,

Billct2

As I recall from my summons there is no excuse for work. I didn't get the call though.
Personally I would like to sit on a jury both to experience it and to fufill me citizen's duty. BUT it would be a major blow to my business if I were chosen. I'm not sure if I would be excused for business reasons, but maybe having one brother a cop, one a prison guard and a sister who's a lawyer would get me out of it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
While I agree that service such as this is a civic duty, I do not agree with the financial and other hardships those with the power to issue summons disregard on a regular basis.

I have been summoned four times. The summons covers a two week period of service. I asked off the first time for legitimate business and financial hardship reasons and was turned down out of hand. So I complied and gave them 10 hours of my day (including travel) for $15.00 and free parking. No travel expense was reimbursed. After a week of sitting doing nothing, I was finally called. By then I was totally fed up with the process and chose some words when questioned that would imply deep seated prejudice and presumption of guilt. That ended their need for me that time.

The second, third and fourth times I received a summons for jury duty (delivered by regular mail to keep their costs down), I simply ignored it. I expected a deputy sheriff to appear at my door but that never happened. I simply see no reason to classify this as civic duty when everyone with the power is earning six and seven figures a year while they consider my time, effort and inconvenience of no concern to them other than $15.00 a day less gas.

Last edited:

raider

In Texas, if you're a one-man shop, your are excused. The wedding thing would probably be an excuse also. They usually summon around 90 for a 12 person jury - odds are you won't serve but it usually takes most of the day to pick the jury. We have to report to the District Court clerk with any legit reason for not showing up.

Pat Whatley

In Alabama being self-employed will typically get you excused. Getting married a couple of days after the summons would certainly get you excused.

CheapVehicleWrap

I was going to suggest what Fred said:

"By then I was totally fed up with the process and chose some words when questioned that would imply deep seated prejudice and presumption of guilt. That ended their need for me that time."

But I chickened out.

There's many things you can say that will disqualify you very quickly. Be creative :)

Ohh and Congrats & Best on you're new partnership!

SignosaurusRex

While I agree that service such as this is a civic duty, I do not agree with the financial and other hardships those with the power to issue summons disregard on a regular basis.

A simple letter stating that serving on jury duty at this time would cause "Undue Hardship" as.....(explanation of wedding, sole proprietorship of business/contractual obligations, etc.)
That's usually about all it takes although some times require a little creativity. Do you suffer from Turrets Syndrome?, Sleep Apnea? Spastic Bowel?.....you get the idea? My best friend was once called for Jury Duty and the "Undue Hardship" was over-looked. When he went in and they interviewed him, He was asked..."How do you feel about Capital Punishment"? His reply was..."Well, If it will rehabilitate them ( the criminal), I'm all for it"! He was promptly excused.

iSign

The second, third and fourth times I received a summons for jury duty (delivered by regular mail to keep their costs down), I simply ignored it. I expected a deputy sheriff to appear at my door but that never happened.

+1

...in fact, the first, second, third & fourth time they sent mine by regular mail... for some reason, I never even received it! :wink:

Techman

A simple letter stating that serving on jury duty at this time would cause "Undue Hardship" as.....(explanation of wedding, sole proprietorship of business/contractual obligations, etc.)

In most cases..
Doesn't happen like that. You sit in the jury room and fill out a affidavit form with your reason why you cannot stay. Anything other than sever hardship via kids, or a medical problem, or you being unable to give a fair and reasonable judgment will not work to get relief.

After all the form are collected you will see a clerk come in and announce all those excused.

It will happen in some form as explained. Very few ppl are excused any more including law enforcement officers.

GypsyGraphics

I tired to get off by using the sole proprietor thing... they called on me, made me sand up and asked "will you be unable to feed your family or lose you home if you can't work for the next three weeks."
*shuffling my feet, looking down and under by breath* nnnnnnno... the judge.... "excuse me miss, can you speak up." Only slightly louder "no your honor" ...."take your seat miss, you'll be staying."

But you can... call the phone number on your notice, tell then you'll be on your honeymoon and ask for an extension. Ask for a date nine months later... then maybe you'll be ask for another legit extension. :tongue:

J

john1

Thanks for the comments everyone, I kinda of don't want to ask for a extension, Just want to say i'll be getting married that week and that's that. I don't want to do it at all lol

visual800

I have never done the jury duty thing and hope I never will. Alabam seems to like the "catch and release" program anyway so what's the point? Another waste of time away from work

Love the t'shirt idea though

Vicg

If you ever served in the military that works, thats about the only benny i got from serving i get out of jury duty wow. well it works in NJ not sure about any other State.

BobM

I've been called to jury duty 4 times. Each time I waited 3 hours and wasn't needed. The fourth time I commented to the person behind me that "if they have come as far as a trial, they must be guilty". The clerk heard me, I spent the entire day in the jury pool room - alone. I think next time I'll shut my trap and go home early like everyone else.