• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

App for calculating Sq Footage

Charlie J

Ok this thread is pointless if I'm going to keep getting trolled. Obviously I can go get an estimate pad Op, you don't have to be a douche.

Anyways...the other things the spreadsheet would do is calculate how much wasted material would be used out of a 24",40", or 60" roll and it would take into account the waste material so you could charge for it. Like I said before it's similar to graphixcalc. I'll post it up tomorrow. I'm at a bar right now posting from my phone.

m_s_p

Can you use Documents To Go Pro from the app store? It says you can view, edit, and create excel docs from your phone. Its usually $29.99 but its on sale for $14.99.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
On my phone I have a spreadsheet app ... just make your own calculation doodad with spreadsheet since all you need to do is just throw the math into the appropriate fields and poof instant price/sq ft/man hour calculator.

wildside

the other things the spreadsheet would do is calculate how much wasted material would be used out of a 24",40", or 60" roll and it would take into account the waste material so you could charge for it.

dont beat a dead horse. if you use 54" material, charge for 54" material

if some one wants a 40" x 84" sign - they are using 4x8 sheet, they get charged for the full sheet, not a portion of the sheet.

wasted material should be buried into every job at every moment without even thinking twice about it, ...... now if your pricing scheme is so low that you have to account for waste, i first suggest dropping some customers and raising some prices - some people will spend a dollar to try and save a penny, of which i do not understand save the penny before opening the wallet

if you absolutely must account for it, round everything up to the next foot like what OP said - 32" x 65" would be calculated at 3ft x 6ft :rock-n-roll:

Sign-Man Signs

Ok this thread is pointless if I'm going to keep getting trolled. Obviously I can go get an estimate pad Op, you don't have to be a douche.

Anyways...the other things the spreadsheet would do is calculate how much wasted material would be used out of a 24",40", or 60" roll and it would take into account the waste material so you could charge for it. Like I said before it's similar to graphixcalc. I'll post it up tomorrow. I'm at a bar right now posting from my phone.

As I started reading this, I knew it would head in this direction. Signs 101 is always good for a laugh. I'll keep reading. I hate to say this but this is where you teacher said " One day you're going to need this".
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

10sacer

Has anyone figured out a calculation to approximate how much media is left on a roll based on knowing original roll length by calculating the core thickness, the media mil thickness and the thickness of the remaining rolled up material. Seems like it should be able to be done, but it has to take into account the degrading spiral as the media gets wound down to the core.

I know you should just write down what you use and subtract it from the original length, but does everyone do that every day with every roll of media? This is for those times when things get overlooked.

R08

Has anyone figured out a calculation to approximate how much media is left on a roll based on knowing original roll length by calculating the core thickness, the media mil thickness and the thickness of the remaining rolled up material. Seems like it should be able to be done, but it has to take into account the degrading spiral as the media gets wound down to the core.

I know you should just write down what you use and subtract it from the original length, but does everyone do that every day with every roll of media? This is for those times when things get overlooked.

Someone posted a program for just that a while ago.

I just use this simple method: Roughly 1 foot per windup of material.... give or take.( not sure if I said that right)

And here's the thread for the calculator http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75747

MikePro

is there an excel app for your phone? I'd just make up a formula with L, W, and labor inputs.

I did it for all my digital printing media for our sales guys to have a better option than simply saying $X/sq.ft. for estimates. ...Estimating per linear ft. used instead of eating the cost of unused media from the roll.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Length times width is old school. You guys get with it.

"Old school" implies a sense of obsolescence. How do figure that L X W has now become obsolete? It will still be the basis for any ap.

Kinda like like the law of gravity...it doesn't change...no matter how technology changes.

JB

OldPaint

i dont understand why.......PEOPLE GOT TO CREATE PROBLEMS for themselves!!!!!!
technology is niice, BUT......this seems like a real dumb way to go at a simple task WE OLD SCHOOL people been doin since we started!!!!! i have BEEN CHARGING for wasted material ALL THE TIME, SINCE 1986 when i started in this full time. if i do a sign with 10" letters 5 foot long, and iam cutting 24" vinyl..WHO DO YOU THINK IS PAY THAT 4 INCH BY 5 FOOT LEFTOVER??? not me......it get charged to the customer. he pays for the sign and the stuff i throw away!!!!! back in the paint only days, we figured "materials" to a job. this included brushes, paint, turps and any substrate i used like MDO, METAL!!!!if i had to do a sign 3 ft X 6 ft.....i charged out 4 ft by 6 ft of a 4 X 8 sheet!!!! the 2x4 leftover, i usually had other jobs where it got billed out.

SignaramaFL

Can you use Documents To Go Pro from the app store? It says you can view, edit, and create excel docs from your phone. Its usually $29.99 but its on sale for $14.99.

My android came with ThinkFree Office, I would assume from the name that it is a free app. But this does allow me to open/edit/save any micro$oft office suite program file. And I haven't worked with the excel personally so I'm not too sure if you would be able to use the formulas, but worth a try right?

John L

Anyone selling signs by the square foot is missing an important part of selling effective advertising devices.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I'm getting so sick of all the new web/tech terminology & slang. Seriously. "trolled"? You gotta stay hip these days in order to keep up with words. PS. Douche really just means "wash" in french. It goes form douche bag, to douche...eventually it will be some other derivative of that and pretty soon, it's meaning will have been lost and the new meaning revolves around wether or not you are up on the latest term for douche bag. Like..."that's sick" which really means that's "cool" which has nothing to do with temperature... wait...what was this thread about? Oh yeah, Smart phones allowing us to skip doing stuff in our own brains.

Charlie J

Okay...anyways...trying to stay on topic here. I've attached the spreadsheet that I use for quoting residential and commercial window tint.

Some of you may find this useful for quoting storefront jobs, not only for window tinting, but window perf. You can enter in all of your window sizes and quantities of each.

But what I'm after is to be able to use this on my droid.

Attachments

• Flat Glass Estimate_copy.xls
    47.5 KB · Views: 137