• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

App for calculating Sq Footage

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
i dont understand why.......PEOPLE GOT TO CREATE PROBLEMS for themselves!!!!!!

I really don't understand where your rage and fear at technology comes from.

My spreadsheets I use go by linear feet of materials and will tell me my price, margin, man hours, everything for the job just by putting in the length or quantities of material which takes ... 30 seconds?

Technology is fine if used well ... which is why I drag my netbook to job quotes.

Custom_Grafx

Why not get LogMeIn

This way you can use your iphone to access anything on your desktop at work, including your spreadsheet. great thing is, you click save, and it's saved to your desktop, no need to transfer files etc.

signage

Has anyone figured out a calculation to approximate how much media is left on a roll based on knowing original roll length by calculating the core thickness, the media mil thickness and the thickness of the remaining rolled up material. Seems like it should be able to be done, but it has to take into account the degrading spiral as the media gets wound down to the core.

I know you should just write down what you use and subtract it from the original length, but does everyone do that every day with every roll of media? This is for those times when things get overlooked.

here is the thread on calculating amount left on log of material!

OldPaint

I really don't understand where your rage and fear at technology comes from.

My spreadsheets I use go by linear feet of materials and will tell me my price, margin, man hours, everything for the job just by putting in the length or quantities of material which takes ... 30 seconds?

Technology is fine if used well ... which is why I drag my netbook to job quotes.
you just answered it yourself!!!! draging your NETBOOK to job quotes.
i just take MY BRAIN....to job quotes)))))) really works well for a 66 year old model))))))) if i need to give a PAPER QUOTE, i have a pad called estimates. it has 3 copies!!!! the customer gets one i got 1, and and a spare one)))))
so your 1st statement is toally wrong, its not fear & rage, I JUST KEEP IT SIMPLE)))) when you write stuff on paper, short of a fire or water damage.....IT DONT JUST DISAPEAR like stuf does that is ELECTRONICALLY ENTERED)))))
AS FOR JOHN L ........bull crap!!! if you DO BIG JOBS, like i have done and still make quotes to a major construction company for signage on large water tanks and fuel tanks..........SQUARE FOOT is how they want it priced!!!!!
how else ca you even quote a price on a 67 FOOT X 127 FOOT painted sign on a side of fuel tank??? cant sticker or print that!!!! doin bumper stickers or small signs...........no its not a good way to price anything less then a 4 ft X 4 ft!!!!! i find a simple way to figure a job with sq ft. say i got a 8ft X 10 ft signs to do. 8 X 10= 80 sq ft. times $10 a sq ft=$800!!! dont need a calculator or any thing else. now you a $10 sq ft price for this job. say you wanted to do it for less, say $5 a sq ft, its now half of the $800, which is $400. say you wanted to charge $20 a sq ft. double the $800, its now $1600. so simple a cave man can do it with any think other then a BRAIN)))))

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
you just answered it yourself!!!! draging your NETBOOK to job quotes.
i just take MY BRAIN....to job quotes)))))) really works well for a 66 year old model))))))) if i need to give a PAPER QUOTE, i have a pad called estimates. it has 3 copies!!!! the customer gets one i got 1, and and a spare one)))))
so your 1st statement is toally wrong, its not fear & rage, I JUST KEEP IT SIMPLE)))) when you write stuff on paper, short of a fire or water damage.....IT DONT JUST DISAPEAR like stuf does that is ELECTRONICALLY ENTERED)))))
AS FOR JOHN L ........bull crap!!! if you DO BIG JOBS, like i have done and still make quotes to a major construction company for signage on large water tanks and fuel tanks..........SQUARE FOOT is how they want it priced!!!!!
how else ca you even quote a price on a 67 FOOT X 127 FOOT painted sign on a side of fuel tank??? cant sticker or print that!!!! doin bumper stickers or small signs...........no its not a good way to price anything less then a 4 ft X 4 ft!!!!! i find a simple way to figure a job with sq ft. say i got a 8ft X 10 ft signs to do. 8 X 10= 80 sq ft. times $10 a sq ft=$800!!! dont need a calculator or any thing else. now you a $10 sq ft price for this job. say you wanted to do it for less, say $5 a sq ft, its now half of the $800, which is $400. say you wanted to charge $20 a sq ft. double the $800, its now $1600. so simple a cave man can do it with any think other then a BRAIN)))))

Whatever. You're right ... I can't sit there, invoice the customer while i'm still infront of him with a digital copy for their e-mail ... I can't show them previous work ... I can't PRINT a hard copy for myself later ... I can't work up a rough design before I leave with deposit in hand so the customer knows we are roughly on the right page and I can take that file back and tweak and refine. YOU'RE right. keep it simple ... in a 20 minute meeting I save myself over an hour or so of back and forth with the customer. Oh and do I use that for small jobs? no. but you're completely right. </sarcasm>

OldPaint

Whatever. You're right ... I can't sit there, invoice the customer while i'm still infront of him with a digital copy for their e-mail ... I can't show them previous work ... I can't PRINT a hard copy for myself later ... I can't work up a rough design before I leave with deposit in hand so the customer knows we are roughly on the right page and I can take that file back and tweak and refine. YOU'RE right. keep it simple ... in a 20 minute meeting I save myself over an hour or so of back and forth with the customer. Oh and do I use that for small jobs? no. but you're completely right. </sarcasm>

1.invoice the customer while i'm still infront of him your not INVOICING HIM, your giving him an ESTIMATE!!!! andwhy not do it in front of him, shows him your da man, not some computer geek back at your work place))))))
2. I can't show them previous work. REALLY? i have a facebook page for my sign work. if hes not computer savvy, I have a photo album i keep in the truck, from the days before DIGITAL)))))
3.I can't work up a rough design before I leave with deposit in hand so the customer knows we are roughly on the right page and I can take that file back and tweak and refine. I CAN DRAW.and the computer is just a tool for me not the creator of my designs. ......so we both got a rough idea of what he whats, and i do it on the estimate pad SO HE GETS A HARD COPY, AND SO DO I))))
4. keep it simple ..........THE ONLY THING IN THAT WHOLE PARAGRAPH.....THAT IS RIGHT))))))
5. Oh and do I use that for small jobs? no. have no idea of what your talkin bout)))))

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
1.invoice the customer while i'm still infront of him your not INVOICING HIM, your giving him an ESTIMATE!!!! andwhy not do it in front of him, shows him your da man, not some computer geek back at your work place))))))
2. I can't show them previous work. REALLY? i have a facebook page for my sign work. if hes not computer savvy, I have a photo album i keep in the truck, from the days before DIGITAL)))))
3.I can't work up a rough design before I leave with deposit in hand so the customer knows we are roughly on the right page and I can take that file back and tweak and refine. I CAN DRAW.and the computer is just a tool for me not the creator of my designs. ......so we both got a rough idea of what he whats, and i do it on the estimate pad SO HE GETS A HARD COPY, AND SO DO I))))
4. keep it simple ..........THE ONLY THING IN THAT WHOLE PARAGRAPH.....THAT IS RIGHT))))))
5. Oh and do I use that for small jobs? no. have no idea of what your talkin bout)))))

Whatever dude, I already said you're completely right. don't even know why you bothered to respond.

saktrnch

Charlie,
I opened you spread sheet on my droid X with quick office, and it works just fine. Documents to go works well also. I put the file in dropbox, so it's on my pc, laptop, phone, or whatever other device I may want to use.

I like Quick Office Pro the best so far, the tabs for the different sheets are shown at the bottom of the screen. In Quick Office Econo I had to go to menu>worksheets> to view the different sheets. It's nicer to just touch the tabs at the bottom of the screen.

Cool spread sheet, thanks for sharing it.

Last edited:

Charlie J

Charlie,
I opened you spread sheet on my droid X with quick office, and it works just fine. Documents to go works well also. I put the file in dropbox, so it's on my pc, laptop, phone, or whatever other device I may want to use.

I like Quick Office Pro the best so far, the tabs for the different sheets are shown at the bottom of the screen. In Quick Office Econo I had to go to menu>worksheets> to view the different sheets. It's nicer to just touch the tabs at the bottom of the screen.

Cool spread sheet, thanks for sharing it.

No problem! Thanks for the info.