• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Apple vs. PC poll

Apple vs. PC

• I've always used only PCs

Votes: 167 44.7%
  • I've always used only Macs

Votes: 29 7.8%
  • I went Mac and never went back

Votes: 27 7.2%
  • I went PC and never went back

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • I went Mac and then I went back to PC

Votes: 30 8.0%
  • I went PC and then I went back to Mac

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • I use both

Votes: 110 29.4%

• Total voters

thehamsterman

We use both at work. the designers all use imacs, and the rip server/front counter/file server is all windows.

unfortunately our IT person 'doesn't know macs' and her knowledge of PCs and networking isn't much better, so they all run like garbage unless i take care of them personally.

Si Allen

My new mac....

Attachments

• fake mac.jpg
    fake mac.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 150

WildWestDesigns

As a new mac user, I can tell you how it does, but you wouldn't listen or believe me if I told you :tongue:

I've used both, now granted it's an iMac, but still a Mac. To me, it wasn't that intuitive only reason I have it is because I couldn't stand a 2k computer going into the trash which is where my dad was going to put it after he had it for about 3 weeks. He got a nice custom built PC (much more powerful then mine and he does a lot less intensive computing then I do) and is happy as a clam.

CES020

Yes, we know the story, you've told it on every Mac thread for the last two years. You Dad bought it, hated it and was going to throw it in the dumpster. You took it, you don't see anything special about it. We get it for the 40th time.

WildWestDesigns

Yes, we know the story, you've told it on every Mac thread for the last two years. You Dad bought it, hated it and was going to throw it in the dumpster. You took it, you don't see anything special about it. We get it for the 40th time.

Pretty much all these types of threads are going to get the same stories over and over again.

Whether your talking about computers are anything else where it's this v. that and both have strong followings. Not really much anyone can do about it really.

However, I haven't been on this board a year yet. If I really was saying the same story for every mac thread over a 2 yr period, there really would have been something wrong with me and I'm sure even I would be tired of that story.

Rage Wraps

I have always used a PC, but now I just build my own machines. Cuts down on cost, plus you get what you really want anyways.

trancelot

My imagination is bigger than yours.
Now that I can get a PC with 24gb or RAM, I have no need for a Mac. Definitely PC

Bly

Check the output - can you tell what has been created on either platform?
Didn't think so.

dsmskyline

I run PC at home(2 laptops, 3 desktops), I use a PC at work due to Onyx rip and our prepress is full of macs and a couple PCs, our server is PC based. All design work we do is Adobe or Quark, all on Macs, prepress hates when customers send in PC adobe files as they are never right.

I love my PC for the ability to work on it and for the fact that its all Ive used for the past 15+ years.

With that said, when I buy a new laptop, it will probably be a Mac book Pro. Im working on trying to get a new mac with parallels and windows 7 for my production computer.

To me, the overall use is the same. They do the same job that is requested of them. The GUI is a little different between the two, but with W7, its seems closer to a Mac than ever.

I have 2 wireless printers at home, a lexmark and an HP eprint, I hate the fact that the lexmark will work on the XP computers and cant get the drivers to work for the Vista laptop or the Windows 7 Desktop. The HP works great for vista and W7, but is finicky for xp due to the hardware requirements.

I feel that the Macs are a little more "efficient" than the PCs are. At any point of any day, I could be using either in prepress to prepare a job before sending it over to wide-format.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
prepress hates when customers send in PC adobe files as they are never right.

First off I am a Mac guy so I am not a PC person trying to argue with you, but.... how can you tell if an Adobe file was created on a Mac or PC? This should be an issue of the person not knowing what they are doing, not the platform.

With the exception of Acrobat, and some 64bit/32 bit issues in Photoshop, all Adobe programs are feature for feature the same whether on a Mac or a PC

dsmskyline

First off I am a Mac guy so I am not a PC person trying to argue with you, but.... how can you tell if an Adobe file was created on a Mac or PC? This should be an issue of the person not knowing what they are doing, not the platform.

With the exception of Acrobat, and some 64bit/32 bit issues in Photoshop, all Adobe programs are feature for feature the same whether on a Mac or a PC

I persoanlly dont deal much with that aspect but they say its something with the way the files are packaged. There are a couple extra little files at that along with PC created files when they are opened on a Mac.

I use CS4 at home to create things and bring them in and open them to edit or what even on the Macs at work and never noticed anything.

It may be more of a user error type thing.

rfulford

prepress hates when customers send in PC adobe files as they are never right.

Really, the only thing that would stop a Mac user from pre pressing a job created on PC would be the fonts. If the PC user is still using .pfm/.pfb fonts, there is no way to activate these on a mac. The same is true for PC users trying to open mac files that use the old mac suitcase fonts. The solution for both is the same. Have the client outline the fonts.

signmeup

I persoanlly dont deal much with that aspect but they say its something with the way the files are packaged. There are a couple extra little files at that along with PC created files when they are opened on a Mac.

I use CS4 at home to create things and bring them in and open them to edit or what even on the Macs at work and never noticed anything.

It may be more of a user error type thing.
Do a test. Send some files to whoever thinks they can tell the difference, one from a Mac and 6 from a pc. Make the files all the same. See if they can ferret out the 1 Mac file.

SignBurst PCs

Do a test. Send some files to whoever thinks they can tell the difference, one from a Mac and 6 from a pc. Make the files all the same. See if they can ferret out the 1 Mac file.

Just for argument's sake, you can read the file info or the metadata on each file (unless it has been removed) and find out what platform created it. This is a technicality as the files would otherwise be the same on either platform.

6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other as far as Adobe goes.