• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Apple vs. PC poll

Apple vs. PC

• I've always used only PCs

Votes: 167 44.7%
  • I've always used only Macs

Votes: 29 7.8%
  • I went Mac and never went back

Votes: 27 7.2%
  • I went PC and never went back

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • I went Mac and then I went back to PC

Votes: 30 8.0%
  • I went PC and then I went back to Mac

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • I use both

Votes: 110 29.4%

• Total voters

Craig Sjoquist

I paid to learn how to work with CS3 the school used Macs. I learn very very little mostly because of the Mac, to me not at all user friendly.
Then went to library to learn same on PCs wow did I learn alot and was impressed with CS3 & 4 although I do not own either and buying it is low priority, just learning was what I wanted just in-case I can buy sooner rather then later. (prefer CorelDraw)

signmeup

I went to Future Shop and had a really good look at the Apple computers they had. They sure are pretty! I'd love to have one. They're a little out of my snack bracket though. (spensive)

petepaz

started on mac 21 years ago and then we switched to pc because of the cost and now we have both, not sure i find one any better then the other for what i do here.
photo shop and illust are the same in both and my rolands work the same with both

sign master

I started off using a Gerber 4B (1988) then Gerber sprint (1990), for those of you that don't know that was the first plotter and had changeable cartridges for the fonts. All PC now.

Biker Scout

You know what's an interesting observation I've made over the years in the graphics industry. (And I've been doing this since 1988) Is that the sign industry is primarily PC based, like 90+% and they all love to use Corel. Any other industry that's graphics related is an easy mix of PC & Macs, but for the most part a lot more Macs. With the exception of a few Freehand holdouts from the early to mid 90's, Illustrator is the mainstream vector program. It's only the late entries into the sign industry that are more likely to adopt using a Mac in their sign shop.

What I came to realize about why this was the way it was: All plotters ran on a Serial Cable, and even the early ones used a SCSI Cable. (Centronics DB50, anyone?) haha! Plotter software came basically from the archetectural and CAD fields and were not written for a Mac platform until the early 2000's, if I remember correctly. I remember the first time someone wrote a plug-in program to be able to cut directly out of Illustrator on a Mac. (MagiSign) and that wasn't until Mac revamped their platform to be UNIX based.

So, seeing how the majority of the sign shops used Corel forever, the designs and overall styles seemed to scream PC to me when I look back at issues of SignCraft. Especially since a lot of sign guys learned their style from Mike Stevens or Dan Antonelli and their clipart from those super lame collections, like SW bundles with your printer or plotter. No amount of switching to the Mac platform will help those shops "Design" better or advance their creativity because they are on a computer that costs twice as much.

signmeup

Are you saying use Corel if you actually want to make something tangible... Illustrator is just for pretty pictures?

(lemme guess....you're a Mac guy.... right?)

Techman

Completely invalid poll. How can any one compare bird with a dog and get a birddog?

MAC is a Hardware Company. They make hardware with matching software to operate hardware they manufacture to their specs. They are focused on just a few items and use a proprietary business model. Users either take what is given to them or do without. Authors write what is allowed and follow strict guidelines with little innovation.

PC's are an open source hardware with unlimited focus on running any software than any coder may think to assemble. PC's are built in any combination of peripherals with untold thousands of combinations. All of which boot up using one or two or three OS's.
They run using any one of thousands of software titles written by an equal number of authors to do tasks that any one can imagine. They are used for industrial controllers all the way to simple email systems for gandma.

The PC market and innovations derived from tweakers has created all the greatest tools adapted by APPLE used on MACs.

2 Completely different markets. 2 different business models.

RobbyMac

I think it's going to be a bit biased... When i started out (late 80's) Most sign software and hardware was pc based... I'm guessing macs finally joined in mid 2000's? I've never owned one, or had one in a shop, so I have no idea.

Firefox

I started with Macs in early '86 because the PC just was not capable of doing the job. Over time the gap started to narrow but for many years PC's were at least a step behind if not several when it came to graphic applications. In the beginning the PC was viewed as a business machine that could do graphics if it had to and the Mac a graphics machine that could do some business apps if it had to. Macs always did graphics better, easier and with much more elegance.
From the very beginning Macs were very user friendly, plug and play was the name of the game, plug in a new printer and the Mac new it was there and all you needed was to load the driver and select it to make it go.

Years passed and as the general public embraced the technology we were forced to put in PC's to use customers disks with fewer problems (mostly fonts). I hated the PC (Piece o Crap) with a passion, they didn't do anything with ease or elegance. I actually had to work at making the damn thing send a file to a printer... IP's... Yes the more I drink's the more IP's!

I actually had to learn how to work with these Pieces o Crap...Clunky, finicky, inelegant PC's, Nothing was ever plug and play with this junk no matter what the marketing hype said, you had to dick with them to make anything work! Not so with the Mac.

As the gap between the platforms continued to narrow and when I bought a top of the line PC with XP it finally started to become a lower case piece o crap. XP was the first operating system that started to make sense as well as actually work in my environment without hair ripping stress. Now that Win 7 has replaced the previous couple iterations I must say that the two platforms are on nearly equal footing. I still have to give the Mac a slight edge in connecting to peripherals on the network, they just have fewer problems.

As far as which machine costs the most, it really seems to be a toss up, of all of the PC’s and Macs I have owned over the years the Macs don’t seem to need to be replaced as often due to inadequate performance partly due to the extra overhead required by the virus protection needed on the PC I’m sure. Since I don’t do any of the graphics production any longer I get to use the hand me down computers. Until last December I had been using an 8-9 year old mac that was previously the star of the graphics dept! It ran fine for what I do... mostly surfing the net! But compared to some of the PC’s after about 5 years it’s time for the scrap heap. So yea the Mac may cost more up front but it pays dividends on the back end, at least to some extent that makes up for the higher buy in.

Speaking of Macs and viruses I have had one on the Mac platform, about 14 or 15 years ago my graphics Mac began running pitifully slow all of a sudden, went to the local Mac store and the guy there said he heard something was going around. He gave me a floppy said to come from apple that was supposed to check for some kind of worm that had hit some machines, bingo It found the problem and fixed it. For those that like to create havoc with viruses I guess they get the most bang for their buck on the PC side since there are so many more of them to infect.

A few months ago I tripped over my first mac, A 1986 bug eye Mac SE with a whopping 20 MB hard drive. I pulled it out of the bag plugged it in and it fired right up! The floppy drive died long ago but I was amazed it still works. For that Mac, a Laserwriter Plus and QuarkXpress 2.0.a I paid just over $9,000.00 it lasted for just over a year before the software outran it. Those were the good old days when you had to buy a new machine every year and a half or so because the software kept growing so fast, plus the machines cost a lot more!

Bottom line is the PC’s and Macs now are both great machines and one can replace the other in most environments without much problem other than the nut that holds on the mouse!

Bill Modzel

Firefox,
I think your history lesson is pretty accurate except for one oversight and that's called Signpost, written by Max Taylor in 1988. I bought my first Mac CI in December of 88 along with Illustrator 88, Typestyler and Signpost. I bought my 24" Graphtec two weeks, (new tax year), later and was cutting amber and vinyl the same day.

My decision was based on two important items. First, I was a flatstock screenprinter and virtually all of my agency clients were Mac/Illustrator. Up to that point all of our art was "camera ready" separations and our film positives were handled on our copy camera and our darkroom.
Second, I saw demos of I thing three PC computer/plotter combinations and intuitive was not a characteristic that I would apply to any of them.

signmeup

MAC is a Hardware Company. They make hardware with matching software to operate hardware they manufacture to their specs. They are focused on just a few items and use a proprietary business model. Users either take what is given to them or do without. Authors write what is allowed and follow strict guidelines with little innovation.

PC's are an open source hardware with unlimited focus on running any software than any coder may think to assemble. PC's are built in any combination of peripherals with untold thousands of combinations. All of which boot up using one or two or three OS's.
They run using any one of thousands of software titles written by an equal number of authors to do tasks that any one can imagine. They are used for industrial controllers all the way to simple email systems for gandma.

The PC market and innovations derived from tweakers has created all the greatest tools adapted by APPLE used on MACs.

2 Completely different markets. 2 different business models.
I thought the hardware was more or less the same inside the cases for PC or Mac. Again, am I grossly miss-informed or do both use products made by the same companies like the CPUs, hard drives, RAM, motherboards....etc?

Techman

am I grossly miss-informed or do both use products made by the same companies like the CPUs, hard drives, RAM, motherboards....etc?

Re read what I posted. It tells you all.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Firefox,
I think your history lesson is pretty accurate except for one oversight and that's called Signpost, written by Max Taylor in 1988. I bought my first Mac CI in December of 88 along with Illustrator 88, Typestyler and Signpost. I bought my 24" Graphtec two weeks, (new tax year), later and was cutting amber and vinyl the same day.

My decision was based on two important items. First, I was a flatstock screenprinter and virtually all of my agency clients were Mac/Illustrator. Up to that point all of our art was "camera ready" separations and our film positives were handled on our copy camera and our darkroom.
Second, I saw demos of I thing three PC computer/plotter combinations and intuitive was not a characteristic that I would apply to any of them.

You got the wrong guy, it was Biker Scout... I still have my Signpost box lying around here with the last upgrade... don't know why, maybe one day I'll whip out my Quadra 950 for a trip back memory lane....

Firefox

Firefox,

Hey Bill, Missing from my post that might help shape the perspective is that I am primarily an offset printer. My perspective is missing any sign based experience in the early days of the Mac/PC. I've only been doing signs, posters, banners and such for about 10-11 years. If you had the hardware to do what what you needed then that could make a ton of difference.

Biker Scout

Ah yes... I had Illustrator 88 and Type Styler. Thought I was the Sh!t back then. I was fortunate enough to be a "youngster" and getting legit paying jobs doing desktop publishing from home! (On Aldus PageMaker of course ;-) Cutting vinyl was not even on my radar back then. So if signpost existed, I'd never have known about it.

I had a Macintosh SE, then the first Color Monitor one, the Mac LC. Wanted a Quadra 900 so bad I could taste it. Used them throughout school and various graphic design jobs I had. Then later on I got the first all-in-one bundle, the Performa I think. Came with monitor and color inkjet printer! It was the PowerPC model. I was able to use that for many years, even though newer more awesomer towers came out. Then I upgraded to a Grape iMac. That thing sucked. Was my computer until the new line of processors came out, G4 I think. Then got that gray/clear tower with the handles. That lasted me until the first aluminum tower. Then I got an intel iMac 24". I'm currently on the newest i7 duo core laptop. I'll probably upgrade to the 27" iMac on the next release. That ought to last me at least 5-6 years, as long as I don't keep upgrading software. I'm cool with CS5. I won't upgrade to CS6, just because everyone knows that the even number releases suck. :ROFLMAO:

By that time, I'm guessing we won't be allowed to "Own" any software. Photoshop, and the like will be in the "Cloud" and we will have a to pay a subscription service to use it. (Oops... did I say too much?) :doh:

WildWestDesigns

By that time, I'm guessing we won't be allowed to "Own" any software. Photoshop, and the like will be in the "Cloud" and we will have a to pay a subscription service to use it. (Oops... did I say too much?) :doh:

Don't even say that in jest. That would royally suck and I would have to get out of the game if that happens.