• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Application Tape Application

I've used one of these mask rite tape applicators for 16 years. I've taped graphics -- by myself -- up to 24' long in one piece.

Funny thing is I didn't know you could use it to roll the tape on like they show in the link. I have mine secured to the table like in the last photo, but with the tape going under the front roller like in the other photos.

S'N'S

i can't seem to be able to use my big squeegee on app tape straight. i've successfully done hundreds of print installs, but app tape application is just too difficult for me. :frustrated: it is difficult to center, wrinkles, app tape is difficult to get off the roll, and i just can't figure out how to keep my cut vinyl flat.

then again, i'm probably just doing something wrong. the videos didn't help much either.

kelly

+1 never been able to get a good application of app tape with the BS. The videos didn't help me either.

tsgstl

Unless I am missunderstanding the setup(laminator) seems counter productive. Unless you really can't deal with a seam. I use 24"-36" ap tape and work with smaller sections up to 10' by myself in a minute or two. I prefer to weed in sections so it's perfect. EZ to swing upside down or whatever. I personally don't like to roll up stuff that has been weeded. If it's big I just overlap the ap tape. I throw the rolls on a thick water pipe slide thru 2 cheap brackets. Here is a picture of my setup

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr209/thesignguy/14c84ea2.jpg

This is mounted to a cabinet also on wheels. I used to have rolls of banner material one after another mounted on the wall the same way. I rarely use colored banner material anymore so it isn't that way anymore. Anyway, the transfer tape works super ez this way and I wouldn't think about loading up a laminator to do it.
I'll admit I have a separate plotter so it does not work very good on super long jobs. So I start out with smaller sections. My business has shifted to 30% labels in the past 3 years so I mask a lot.

mnapuran

This is an OOOLD picture, but you can see the application tape holder I built years ago.

Similar concept to the Webermade stuff - http://webermade.com/

Attachments

• office.jpg
    office.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 103

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
kffernandez said:
i can't seem to be able to use my big squeegee on app tape straight. i've successfully done hundreds of print installs, but app tape application is just too difficult for me. :frustrated:

S'N'S said:
+1 never been able to get a good application of app tape with the BS. The videos didn't help me either.
I'd like to help but, without details, I don't know where to start.

Most common problems are;
Using tools not designed for TT/AT. Felt covered edges work the best.
Alignment can be done with a straight edge using the started TT/AT as a guide.