Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

application tape...

Discussion in 'Materials' started by dynamicdezigns, Dec 3, 2012.

1. dynamicdezigns

dynamicdezigns New Member

Nov 6, 2012
    has anyone tried to cut a larger roll of application tape down to other sizes? i bought out a smaller company in my area and they had 3 48" r tape logs. i hardly use anything more than 24", so i would like to cut these down. any suggestions on the easiest way to do this and get a decent cut?

Tags:
  2. S'N'S

S'N'S Active Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Australia
    I've read where guys have used a band saw, never done it myself but would if the need arises.

3. DizzyMarkus

DizzyMarkus Active Member

Jan 23, 2012
    I have cut rolls down of lam, app tape and vinyl wth a Chop saw (miter). Ticket is dont let it get hot -- cut some, let cool, roll roll more :0)

Markus

ps -- the first time I held my breath hehe

4. dynamicdezigns

Nov 6, 2012
    Certain type of blade? or how many teeth..

5. DizzyMarkus

DizzyMarkus Active Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Tooth count sorry, it is a paneling type blade and says on it plastics and wood. I have yet to try it with less (larger)teeth. Might not get hot as quick.

Markus

6. dynamicdezigns

Nov 6, 2012
    Guess i will give it a shot this week. thank you

7. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    I have done the same, just keep it cool and rotate.
    Also, try to avoid leaving jagged edges, which will tear when the roll gets used.

8. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    we have also done this with lam. we have used a saws-all w/ a metal cutting blade. i guess anything with smaller teeth so it doesn't rip the material too much
    and +1 to rotate and make sure it doesn't get too hot it will melt the material on the edges and then it sticks