• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying etched vinyl

Wesley Powell

Account Rep
Does anyone have any tips or tricks for applying etched vinyl? It seems like we spend 3x the amount of time peeling the backing paper off as we do lining it up and actually applying it. We have had a decent amount of luck with wetting the application tape once applied to help removing it but even at that we sometimes fight getting it to stick to the glass. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
If you're having trouble peeling the backer off because it's not releasing the vinyl, you're probably cutting the vinyl too deep.

Jayefkay531

I would love to hear any tips here too. When we use 3M dusted crystal/etched, we use R-Tape to transfer and it lets go easily from the vinyl - the bond between the vinyl/backing paper is stronger than tape/vinyl. I thought it was a cutting pressure at first too, but I've experimented with multiple depths and full uncut pieces. The only thing I could think of is a high-tack transfer tape. HOWEVER, when I use a mactac b-free dusted or frosted vinyl, the transfer tape works as it should.

bigben

I would love to hear any tips here too. When we use 3M dusted crystal/etched, we use R-Tape to transfer and it lets go easily from the vinyl - the bond between the vinyl/backing paper is stronger than tape/vinyl. I thought it was a cutting pressure at first too, but I've experimented with multiple depths and full uncut pieces. The only thing I could think of is a high-tack transfer tape. HOWEVER, when I use a mactac b-free dusted or frosted vinyl, the transfer tape works as it should.

In your case, it's because you are using the wrong transfer tape. You need a high tac. Personally, I use 3M scps-53x for 3M dusted/frosted vinyls (all the fasara catalog). It work great, but you need to wet the hell of it when you peel it of after the install. It is also harder to apply due to the high tack. But if you use a laminator, it work great. I wish I had a flatbed laminator just for this. I use 1-2 full roll per week of this stuff. If you have any question, let me know.

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
If the panels are large and solid do not use premask. If there is a small area with cad cut apply premask to that area only. If it all needs to be premasked you have to give it time to bite.

2B

We like HEXIS with air release channels.
installs dry great and you don't get customers calling and complaining about the water evaporating un-evenly behind the material

TimToad

We just started using Neschen brand with air release and with high tack app tape, it was a breeze to work with. When you first put it on, you see the air release grid if you look really close, but goes away after a day or after getting some sun on it.

Jayefkay531

In your case, it's because you are using the wrong transfer tape. You need a high tac. Personally, I use 3M scps-53x for 3M dusted/frosted vinyls (all the fasara catalog). It work great, but you need to wet the hell of it when you peel it of after the install. It is also harder to apply due to the high tack. But if you use a laminator, it work great. I wish I had a flatbed laminator just for this. I use 1-2 full roll per week of this stuff. If you have any question, let me know.
I had figured it was a medium vs high tack. We use the scps-55 for printed graphics, but hadn't considered the 53 for dusted/frosted. I do use the laminator to apply large sections of transfer tape as well. Thanks for the tip!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It's vinyl, it applies just like any other vinyl. No magic, no beads and rattles, no staining yourself blue and dancing around a fire chanting 'Booga booga'.

bigben

It's vinyl, it applies just like any other vinyl. No magic, no beads and rattles, no staining yourself blue and dancing around a fire chanting 'Booga booga'.

I don't agree with you. Frosted vinyl will ''kink'' and you can't heat it to get it back. The material is also thinner and more complex to manipulate. But after few installs, you get the hand of it.

Johnny Best

works for me...
boogabooga.jpg

Jb1983

Try metamark brand dry apply. It is pretty nice. It also recovers very well with heat. When you get a kink or whatever and the frost turns white a little bit of heat and it goes right back .
I’m not a fan of metamarks customer service or how they stand behind there products at all but this particular material is very good.