Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applying etched vinyl

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Wesley Powell, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Wesley Powell

Wesley Powell Account Rep

May 29, 2018
    Lima, OH, USA
    Does anyone have any tips or tricks for applying etched vinyl? It seems like we spend 3x the amount of time peeling the backing paper off as we do lining it up and actually applying it. We have had a decent amount of luck with wetting the application tape once applied to help removing it but even at that we sometimes fight getting it to stick to the glass. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tags:
  2. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    If you're having trouble peeling the backer off because it's not releasing the vinyl, you're probably cutting the vinyl too deep.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Modern Ink Signs

Modern Ink Signs Premium Subscriber

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    Dry or wet application? I’m guessing wet

4. Jayefkay531

Jayefkay531 Member

May 10, 2017
    CT
    I would love to hear any tips here too. When we use 3M dusted crystal/etched, we use R-Tape to transfer and it lets go easily from the vinyl - the bond between the vinyl/backing paper is stronger than tape/vinyl. I thought it was a cutting pressure at first too, but I've experimented with multiple depths and full uncut pieces. The only thing I could think of is a high-tack transfer tape. HOWEVER, when I use a mactac b-free dusted or frosted vinyl, the transfer tape works as it should.

5. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    In your case, it's because you are using the wrong transfer tape. You need a high tac. Personally, I use 3M scps-53x for 3M dusted/frosted vinyls (all the fasara catalog). It work great, but you need to wet the hell of it when you peel it of after the install. It is also harder to apply due to the high tack. But if you use a laminator, it work great. I wish I had a flatbed laminator just for this. I use 1-2 full roll per week of this stuff. If you have any question, let me know.

• Like Like x 2
  6. rockz12

rockz12 Specializing in the strange and unusual

Jun 5, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    If the panels are large and solid do not use premask. If there is a small area with cad cut apply premask to that area only. If it all needs to be premasked you have to give it time to bite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    We like HEXIS with air release channels.
    installs dry great and you don't get customers calling and complaining about the water evaporating un-evenly behind the material

• Like Like x 1
  8. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    We just started using Neschen brand with air release and with high tack app tape, it was a breeze to work with. When you first put it on, you see the air release grid if you look really close, but goes away after a day or after getting some sun on it.

9. Jayefkay531

Jayefkay531 Member

May 10, 2017
    CT
    I had figured it was a medium vs high tack. We use the scps-55 for printed graphics, but hadn't considered the 53 for dusted/frosted. I do use the laminator to apply large sections of transfer tape as well. Thanks for the tip!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wesley Powell

Wesley Powell Account Rep

May 29, 2018
    Lima, OH, USA
    Typically wet but we just started used air regress and have switched to try for the obvious reasons.

11. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    It's vinyl, it applies just like any other vinyl. No magic, no beads and rattles, no staining yourself blue and dancing around a fire chanting 'Booga booga'.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    I don't agree with you. Frosted vinyl will ''kink'' and you can't heat it to get it back. The material is also thinner and more complex to manipulate. But after few installs, you get the hand of it.

13. Modern Ink Signs

Modern Ink Signs Premium Subscriber

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    Dry dry dry......

If you have to do wet. It will take some time

14. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    works for me... boogabooga.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jb1983

Jb1983 Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Vancouver island
    Try metamark brand dry apply. It is pretty nice. It also recovers very well with heat. When you get a kink or whatever and the frost turns white a little bit of heat and it goes right back .
    I’m not a fan of metamarks customer service or how they stand behind there products at all but this particular material is very good.