• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

applying vinyl on magnets. please help!

carter75

Thanks malkin. So print with a bleed and leave a cut line(like i design business cards). And apply to over sized magnet. And cut.....Sucks that I printed them already to actual size so i could leave them off gassing. I also find it way easier to work with vinyl the day after printing. I guess ill have to cut like a 1\8in. off after applying to magnets.

We usually print actual size with cut lines. I will then rough trim leaving around 1/8"-1/4" inch outside of cut lines, apply to an oversized piece of magnetic material and then cut the vinyl and magnet both in one fell swoop. Usually just scoring the magnet and folding it to complete the cut. Then round the corners and voila!

projectneon

I hate doing wet applications, and used to use them for etched glass vinyl too, but now we get an etched glass vinyl made by mactac that is called b-free. It has air release channels and applies easily even dry just like regular vinyl.

im the same, wet application i find you struggle with controlling dust and stuff getting under your print, and we get the bubble free frosting in australia, an absolute dream to work with!!!!

wet application is for the ones who dont no how to apply!

ironchef

carter75 said:
We usually print actual size with cut lines. I will then rough trim leaving around 1/8"-1/4" inch outside of cut lines, apply to an oversized piece of magnetic material and then cut the vinyl and magnet both in one fell swoop. Usually just scoring the magnet and folding it to complete the cut. Then round the corners and voila!

Sweet. Thanks. That's the plan now. Thanks to you guys. Oh and i dry apply too. I'm going to use the split method to apply. From top center to bottom center, and do right side first then left. Peeling a bit off the top and centering it i find a bit harder to do. That method i see more for a panel on a car or something bigger.

ironchef

I only use wet applications for overlays like a chrome outline with a different color center. P.s i notice you guys use soap and water? I have been using a no brand windex watered down a bit to a light blue tint.

2B

I have had great success with applying to magnets wet. No idea why; I don't do anything else that way, but magnets seem to work perfect every time wet-installed.

same here, we have tried all methods of dry sticking with hand squeegees and big squeegees none seem to work.

WET IS BEST

Billct2

I
only use wet applications for overlays like a chrome outline with a different color center. P.s i notice you guys use soap and water? I have been using a no brand windex watered down a bit to a light blue tint
Maybe this has worked OK for you, but you're playing with fire using window cleaner.
I would use a commercial app fluid like Rapid Tac.

J

john1

I wet apply mags no problem with rapid tac

Buy promag on the roll, it's 24 3/8" and make crop marks on your print at 12x24" or whatever and trim on the oversized roll of mag

S'N'S

I
Maybe this has worked OK for you, but you're playing with fire using window cleaner.
I would use a commercial app fluid like Rapid Tac.

I have a "brushy" signwriter I cut heaps of vinyl for and one day I noticed he was using windex to apply the vinyl, I told him the reasons I had heard "not" to use windex and all he said was Bulls#!t, I've been doing it this way for 15 years and never had a failure. That was on painted surfaces, glass may be different. I'm just not game enough to try it in case I have a failure.

ironchef

I'm buying some rapid tac today. I'm not a hater. I'm not set in my ways. I'm here to learn and better myself. Ill change over to rapid vs window cleaning fluid. I just want to know those reasons. Just like religion. I'm not going to switch religions because someone says there's is better. I need to have the info and decide myself. Will try rapid tac. Just let me know the reasons not to use ammonia- free window cleaner diluted with water.

GVP

If you have a printer, do you not also have a laminator? We routinely use our laminator to mount printed vinyl, including on to magnetic. Perfect job, bubble-free and once you have the technique down, pretty quick.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
As mosh and the others have said, for most magnetics all you need to do is apply vinyl magnet and trim to size (probably a trim line will help) since most rolls of magnetic are 24.5" wide ... not fun to do with a 24x26 graphic. just apply like any flood coat, provide yourself and overlap, apply making sure the overlap covers equally, then flood that magnetic, flip and trim around the edge. probably talking about a 10-15 minute job if you're anal retentive.

d fleming

Tape hinge print to oversize magnet blank, run through laminator. Trim and round corners. If by hand, print is oversize, hinge to metal table where magnet is placed in position and mount using felt squeegee. Trim and round corners.

ironchef

Thanks guys. Good advise. I got r' done just fine today. I tried one half with the solution of ammonia free window cleaner. And i got mad bubbles. Tried the other side dry and went on like butter. Using tru-stock calender btw. It was a free roll. So i reprinted one and let it dry a couple hours. And applied dry as well. I guess ill try the soap and water solution. What kind of soap? Ratio?