• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are sign professionals just giving up?

KMC

Graphic Artist
This thread has been taken over by quotes on scriptures, why cant it be left as is for the topic intended by the OP
personally i could care less if you:
worship God, Zeus, Buddah, Athena ....or whoever.
are straight, gay, transgender or anything in between
believe in dinosaurs
think the earth is flat

each to their own but those above topics are null and void on this thread

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This thread has been taken over by quotes on scriptures, why cant it be left as is for the topic intended by the OP
personally i could care less if you:
worship God, Zeus, Buddah, Athena ....or whoever.
are straight, gay, transgender or anything in between
believe in dinosaurs
think the earth is flat

each to their own but those above topics are null and void on this thread

The quotes on scripture are just that...... quotes. It doesn't mean the person(s) using them or even saying them believes in them. It only means they are trying to be quick and impress the few people reading this thread anymore. They are not making fun of anyone or any belief. They just are trying to puff out their chests......

clarizeyale

That statement is EXACTLY whats wrong with this country.

If mentioning God or religion bothers you, you can remove yourself from the conversation, instead of telling others what they can or can't talk about.

I think being able to hold a conversation without judgment and criticism of what ones beliefs are is very admirable. To be open to what others have to say without shoving your own beliefs down their throats is hard to do but it shows patience and understanding and hopefully allows one to think in a different perspective rather than their own.

But I think the problem had to do with the statement and belief that giving money to a church will then create a flow of money towards you. I mean, if that's what you believe and you continue to do and receive, then by all means.. continue.

Why not rewording it without mentioning church and God? I understand that it's based on personal experience but I think it would be just as effective saying "put your money towards something you believe in, do the work, and the money will come back to you". Of course, it's not always a good thing say if you're putting money towards something bad but the point is.. what you say and do will manifest into something greater so long as you believe it will.

Everyone's so sensitive nowadays but I think changing the way you speak can change the way people see you and hopefully that leads to everyone being more open to each others opinions.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think being able to hold a conversation without judgment and criticism of what ones beliefs are is very admirable. To be open to what others have to say without shoving your own beliefs down their throats is hard to do but it shows patience and understanding and hopefully allows one to think in a different perspective rather than their own.

But I think the problem had to do with the statement and belief that giving money to a church will then create a flow of money towards you. I mean, if that's what you believe and you continue to do and receive, then by all means.. continue.

Why not rewording it without mentioning church and God? I understand that it's based on personal experience but I think it would be just as effective saying "put your money towards something you believe in, do the work, and the money will come back to you". Of course, it's not always a good thing say if you're putting money towards something bad but the point is.. what you say and do will manifest into something greater so long as you believe it will.

Everyone's so sensitive nowadays but I think changing the way you speak can change the way people see you and hopefully that leads to everyone being more open to each others opinions.

I understand what you are saying and hafta agree with you to a certain point, but why is it always me (general subject being used) that is supposed to change my phrasing, my thinking patterns, my words..... my everything to make someone feel good ?? When does someone begin to spare my feelings ?? Why must I tiptoe around every thinned skinned sensitive baby, whether it be on the internet, crossing the border or whatever ??

Isn't it tit for tat ?? :omg:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I understand what you are saying and hafta agree with you to a certain point, but why is it always me (general subject being used) that is supposed to change my phrasing, my thinking patterns, my words..... my everything to make someone feel good ?? When does someone begin to spare my feelings ?? Why must I tiptoe around every thinned skinned sensitive baby, whether it be on the internet, crossing the border or whatever ??

Wow, now I agree with you.

and hopefully that leads to everyone being more open to each others opinions.
except being open to my opinion right?

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Gino said:
Why must I tiptoe around every thinned skinned sensitive baby, whether it be on the internet, crossing the border or whatever ??

I see thin skinned people on both sides of this OFF TOPIC argument, with each side trying to ram-rod their view.

This was originally a discussion about trying to maintain a sense of professionalism in sign design rather than just giving up -barfing whatever garbage assets the customers bring directly out of the large format printer. Then the thread got hijacked by the Disneyland notion that we don't have any justification to be annoyed or uninspired, that the man upstairs is handling everything. So if someone has a s#1+ job he should just put a big smile on his face, accept it and give 10% of whatever he is making Sunday morning. Personally, I'm a Christian, but I also believe the Lord helps those who help themselves. He's not going to come from down on high to magically make every customer start bringing in perfect artwork, much less allow those of us who know how to design be allowed to use our talents. It's about as silly as driving a vehicle with one's eyes closed, expecting the Lord to do the steering.

clarizeyale

I always say this (to myself.....) when it comes to stuff that I believe in... The world is sh!tty already as is, you do not have to be someone that adds to it. Do your best and those around you will follow.

This is how I feel when I see someone throwing away trash not in a trash can or not recycling. (I was VERY irked when I saw how people in South East Asia lived.. like landfills in the street, no regard, no care...) When it comes to talk to others who are different than me. When it comes to someone who has less or even more than me.

And its not about making someone feel good or sparing someone's feelings or tiptoeing... it's just about being a positive influence in the world that we live in. You can do this without saying Church or God or every other sentence being a line from a bible/book/etc.

But if you wanna continue on doing your thang, do you Gino. Do you. :p

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't get me wrong. I'm no Bible Thumper..... and I don't mind people throwing around the various scriptures. However someone wants to get their point(s) across is up to each their own, but to make fun of something I believe in, regardless how silly you or someone else feels about it..... in my opinion, does it to get attention or a rise outta the masses.

This place, in the 12 years or so, I've been here, has had almost every thread railroaded, trainwrecked and then some..... by everyone. Religion is a reason and many realize it will happen. Thin skins are another reason, along with egos and sourpuss attitudes. When someone is called out, the other one just comes back with anything they can muster up...... generally it's hurting and sometimes downright mean. Come here and 'Beware' would be a great roadside sign to hang on the front page of this place.

As for not saying Church or God...... I'm all for letting it outta this place. And for doin' my thang..... I'd rather be doing it The Isley Brothers way.

Johnny Best

ALL of the gods are imaginary not just yours mine too, we choose what to believe in and thats great we all need faith in the process of life and the after life

So when she yells out "O God" when we are intimate, that's just imaginary? I don't care what you say, I believe it.
Don't use your humor in the next post saying she is faking it because you have already shown your imaginary humor.

KMC

Graphic Artist
So when she yells out "O God" when we are intimate, that's just imaginary? I don't care what you say, I believe it.
Don't use your humor in the next post saying she is faking it because you have already shown your imaginary humor.

well your girlfriend might be imaginary but orgasms are definitely not

I for one believe in mother nature, fairies, and witchcraft. COME AT ME. “ψ(`∇´)ψ

Paganism is the original religion, and if Scotland can still believe in unicorns each to their own

Johnny Best

KMC reads the inside cover of a Nietzsche's book and becomes a knowledgeable person on the subjects of the spiritual world, and girlfriends. Just wait till the weed becomes legal up there for our neighbors, then they will really tell us how they feel about life.

clarizeyale

KMC reads the inside cover of a Nietzsche's book and becomes a knowledgeable person on the subjects of the spiritual world, and girlfriends. Just wait till the weed becomes legal up there for our neighbors, then they will really tell us how they feel about life.

Maybe that's what everyone here needs. Life is beautiful with a lil more green.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
The issue I see is:

Will Texas's "opinion" be the universal answer to everything on this site?

The question was the state of our industry and the frustration of designers who prefer to do better work...

-- Now if we get sad because a print head goes out, did we tithe enough? were we "spiritual enough?
-- Business is slow and it's adding stress, give up 10% and get 3x in return?
-- Which printer to buy... hey, I don't know you but my life is great because I cough up cash and feed poor people...

I think it's cool if it's working for you, but what works for you may not work for anyone else.
Some people you are addressing have a vested interest in their "faith" already. and display their faith as you (Tex) do yours IN THEIR OWN WAY.
Assuming people here do not and addressing them in the manner that Texas did is pretty much the definition of self-righteousness.

This country has many problems, religion and unsubstantiated opinions is one of them. This site is a reflection of our many
beliefs, skills and experiences. I think this thread had some great information to apply to a sign business without the 10% tithe
comments.

Attachments

• 5c2dd38b89a5d5421d6e03fa2c3adf70--creating-a-brand-cool-cars.jpg
    5c2dd38b89a5d5421d6e03fa2c3adf70--creating-a-brand-cool-cars.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer

After reading about his distaste for booze, I stopped reading Nietzsche,,, besides, he would have been a hack sign guy too...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Amazing that ONE post suggesting to do volunteer work "for HIM" to lighten one's outlook had on a few of you here.

With that one post I am... ramming religion down people's throat, I'm being self righteous, I'm not being humble, I'm not open to other's opinions... Come on, I'm sure there are some more insults you can throw around to make yourself feel superior to me and others.

You guys have mentioned the one "tithe" post over and over, that post was me conversing to Johnny... not me preaching to you. Plenty of "side-conversations" go on in threads.

Of the 1000+ posts I have, how many times have I mentioned God or my faith on these boards? In fact, how many times has anyone else mentioned God on here? This place is pretty devoid of that kind of talk. You can't handle a mention of it once every year or so? Just because you read and re-read my posts 100 times today, doesn't mean I SAID those things 100 times today.

MAJOR panties in a bunch today... you guys will spend all night trying to get them unwedged.

Johnny Best

He liked a certain religion that was not put into dark places like confessionals, and maybe that is why I did understand him because I have a distaste for alcohol also. Did not know that about him, and him being German I am sure he would have been a good sign artist without hangovers.