• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are veterans better or special?

Wheeler

most veterans do not qualify for 10pt, so 5 is what youre looking at and a 5 point preference isnt much out of 100. if 5 points leaves out all of the college kids, college isnt doing its job..

Generally when you apply to a Federal position there are two separate referral lists:
1. External - with applicants who are not Federal employees. If there are a few veterans on this list the supervisor cannot select a non-veteran. If the agency is using a point system, the 5 or 10 points is added to the overall point total assigned to the applicant. Often higher qualified applicants are not “within reach” on this list.​
2. Internal – with applicants who are current or prior Federal employees. On the internal list, there is no veterans’ preference. All applicants compete on a level playing field based on resume, past performance, interviews or other relevant criteria.​
You are right college is getting useless now days..

Deaton Design

My dad joined the Army when he was 16, but was found out and sent home. Later, he joined the Air Force and served four years, but not in a time of war. My uncle served in the Korean war. My cousin did two tours in Afghanistan and two tours in Iraq as a sniper and sniper trainer. He just finished 20 years in the guard. When I was in high school, I was a junior when the draft was done away with. I signed up after school and was classified 1A, but never had to go. I wanted to join when I was 17, but parents wouldnt sign and by the time I was old enough to make my own decision, I decided not to join. In my case, not because of being selfish or cowardly, but when you are 18 years old, you dont know what you want. Truly, I wish now I had at least served one term in some branch of service, but I didnt and at times I regret it. Not because I think anyone thinks any less of me, cause if they do, thats their problem, and really, I cant explain it. Im glad for the people who served and for those who gave their lives in wars our country has been in, and I have the utmost respect for them, as I do for my family members and friends that served. But I surely dont think any less of those who decided not to join up for whatever reason.