• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are veterans better or special?

phototec

In another post, a fellow Signs101'er asked this question:

"So what your saying is that Veterans are better then the average person?"

To be honest, when I saw the question, I immediately began to fume. But, after thinking about it, here's my answer.

I don't think Veterans are "better or special." They're just people. They laugh. They cry. They live. They die.

But, say some people go to a restaurant and order dinner. They really enjoy the dinner. Eventually, the server's going to bring the bill. Most people pay their share of the bill, but a few think it's cool to figure out a way to skip out without paying the bill. Some do so, leaving the rest to pay for their meal.

That's the way it is with the freedoms we enjoy as citizens of the United States. Some of us live here 18 or so years without worrying about the cost. Then the government says, "Ok, kid, here's the bill for the freedoms you've enjoyed." Some kids pay the price. Others skip out and leave their share of the bill to be paid by others.

Unfortunately, those who skip out are becoming more numerous.

People say that freedom isn't free. But most have no idea what the price is. It's spelled out in the last few words of our Declaration of Independence. "... we pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor." Most in the military commit to paying that price. And here's a flash. The bill will never be paid in full. Each generation that uses (or abuses) their freedom has to pay their installment.

Are Veterans (past, present, and future) special? I don't think they're special. I think they're simply responsible citizens. That's not special. That's minimally acceptable behavior. They see that there's something that needs to be done, and they're willing to do it.

What about those who don't join? I'm talking about the people who are physically and mentally qualified -- but who, for some reason don't join. I'm not talking about people who've served and are now too old, or those who are hooked up to some kind of life support in a hospital, or those who are mentally handicapped. And I'm not talking about kids under 18. But it does include people who are too old to serve now, but who could have served and chose not to.

“These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of men and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly.” (Thomas Paine)

“Pacifists are among the most immoral of men - they make no distinction between aggression and defense. Therefore, pacifism is one of the greatest allies an aggressor can have.” (Patrick Henry)

“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing that is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.” (John Stewart Mill)

:wavingflag: HAPPY VETERANS DAY
TO ALL WHO SERVED
THIS GREAT COUNTRY :wavingflag:

HulkSmash

Thank-you for your service.

I think people might get irritated when certain people who have been to the military make it sound like they didn't have a choice, and were "forced" into it.. you know...

thanks for choosing to do what you did.

Techman

when certain people who have been to the military make it sound like they didn't have a choice, and were "forced" into it..

In case so many either did not know it or forgot.

Yes there are plenty who were FORCED into it. They either served or went to jail. That was the choice back then. The Draft was in effect until after Viet Nam. Too many also do not know that every man just out of high school around the age of 18 had the heavy hand of the draft board and the anxiety that goes with it waving over their heads during those days.

So lets get back to remembering those who served and are serving today.

CES020

Oh, I don't know, I do think anyone that risks their life for the service of their fellow man is a special type of person, whether it be a Military member, Firefighter, or any other person that runs towards things that most people run away from.

Stealth Ryder

Oh, I don't know, I do think anyone that risks their life for the service of their fellow man is a special type of person, whether it be a Military member, Firefighter, or any other person that runs towards things that most people run away from.

+1, Very Nicely Said... Here's my question... Where would we all be without those have served?

David Wright

How come since the draft few serve anymore?
Most would rather give a thank you to those that did and a few words of support and feel they did their part.

ProWraps

vets do a job. and i respect them for it.

are they better than those of us that didnt do the same job. no.

everyday i face the daunting task of feeding my family. is there a day for me. no.

the draft thing. well yeah that sucks. im sorry for that. but firemen, police, etc. do i think they are better than me because they do something im not. no. i had the same choice as them. i could have done it. i chose a different career. they chose to do that. for compensation.

its the same as our military now. in my lifetime has there been a draft. no. do all of our men and women serve voluntarily. yes. do they get compensated for it. yes. could i have made the same decision. yes. did i. no.

thanks to all the vets for their service. i TRUELY appreciate it, and i appreciate the loss that may have come from it. i have family that have served. will they tell you what i just said. absolutely.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
is there a day for me. no.

is there a day for me??? wtf

so hard to go to work and make money for your family..... every day is for you

try leaving your family, going half way across the planet and face death.....

holy crap, what's happening to people....

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Most military people i know really dislike to be treated differently...
They want no special treatment..

I have found the same thing. How many people do you meet that you had no idea they served until you sit down to have a beer with them.

Thank you to the vets for 'choosing' to put it all on the line to defend us.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Y'all can argue this one til doomsday. It's a pathetic discussion. They are truly a different kinda breed and when coming out from serving, probably better than the normal citizen who sits back and gives lip service and has nothing from which to draw.

I thank each and every service person past, present and future for what they've contributed and sacrificed. Also, in that list include all the people like firemen/women police and every other person who puts his/her life on the line when doing their job.

So many people have forgotten what it took to get this country to where it is. History is no longer being taught as to what this great country once was and still can be. You don't have to like this place or agree with their politics, but it sure beats working the way the majority of people on this earth live.

Who can you thank for that ?? All the people who have fought for you and me over the years.

Don't wanna give them one day a year
...... go move to another country.

HulkSmash

Y'all can argue this one til doomsday. It's a pathetic discussion. They are truly a different kinda breed and when coming out from serving, probably better than the normal citizen who sits back and gives lip service and has nothing from which to draw.

I thank each and every service person past, present and future for what they've contributed and sacrificed. Also, in that list include all the people like firemen/women police and every other person who puts his/her life on the line when doing their job.

So many people have forgotten what it took to get this country to where it is. History is no longer being taught as to what this great country once was and still can be. You don't have to like this place or agree with their politics, but it sure beats working the way the majority of people on this earth live.

Who can you thank for that ?? All the people who have fought for you and me over the years.

Don't wanna give them one day a year
...... go move to another country.

Wow Gino, no one was being defensive, or talking it down. Why are you going on the defense.

Move In Media

I definitely think warriors are a special breed. I don't think they're 'better' than others, just different. Psychos and dumbasses aside, most people who serve have something inside them that allows them to give up their civilian freedom for a higher calling. I can't fathom what it's like to give everything up and willingly enter hell... I am an artisan, a peasant, I will never understand the warrior spirit, but I respect them all greatly, even as I denounce the current conflicts they are forced to serve in.

petepaz

Don't wanna give them one day a year...... go move to another country.

+1